Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• Cawley has tweeted it so I’m guessing it’s true.
    Cheers Dean, it’s been emotional 🥹 
  • Dean has done an ok job given the circumstances and I would like to see what he could do if properly backed, but I won't be that upset if he left. It doesn't matter who our manager is with TS and his family in charge.
  • Yeah he's gone. I'm a Charlton fan and even I would be out the door, we are a circus with those dinlows in charge. 
  • From a personal point of view, Oxford is a shorter drive back home to Manchester...
  • If I was him I think I would be on my toes. Basket case of an owner, as it stands at the moment he can't make any plans for next season to bring in players, no contract talks for the last two weeks giving him and his family no security, if and when there is a take over he will no doubt get the boot as he wouldn't be their choice. 
  • DDOUBLEE said:
    It's got to the stage where I just don't care whether he stays or goes
    Same, Adkins, Jackson, Garner, Holden... doesn't matter who the manager is, they're not properly backed and so won't do that well.  Same with the next guy, and the next....
  • Sponsored links:

• Methven has some kind of an entree to Oxford, and he was an influence on Holden coming to Charlton.
    The degrees of separation are not huge.
  • More bollocks and poor journalism 

The Addicks were in talks with the ex-Bristol City boss regarding fresh terms after Queens Park Rangers made an approach for him last monthfollowing Neil Critchley’s sacking, though the Championship outfit eventually opted to appoint Gareth Ainsworth. 

QPR never made an approach for Holden …
  • Piles more pressure on Sandgaard so I'm all for it. Good luck Dean
    What pressure? 

Like Bowyer, Jackson, Adkins, Garner and now Holden. Without backing they will perform for 5 games and then be ground down by our poor squad. 

Who our manager is doesn't matter right now. I could set us up to lose every game without a shot on target. 
  • If I was him I think I would be on my toes. Basket case of an owner, as it stands at the moment he can't make any plans for next season to bring in players, no contract talks for the last two weeks giving him and his family no security, if and when there is a take over he will no doubt get the boot as he wouldn't be their choice. 
    His stock isn’t high enough to get better than us, I’m sure he’s applying for other jobs but I can’t see him leaving of his own accord. Based on his career and record, mid-table league 1 is his level at the moment. New owners will want their own man so I can only see Holden staying if a takeover doesn’t happen but even managing a low-budget charlton in league 1 is probably the best job he’s going to be able to get 
  • NabySarr said:
    If I was him I think I would be on my toes. Basket case of an owner, as it stands at the moment he can't make any plans for next season to bring in players, no contract talks for the last two weeks giving him and his family no security, if and when there is a take over he will no doubt get the boot as he wouldn't be their choice. 
    His stock isn’t high enough to get better than us, I’m sure he’s applying for other jobs but I can’t see him leaving of his own accord. Based on his career and record, mid-table league 1 is his level at the moment. New owners will want their own man so I can only see Holden staying if a takeover doesn’t happen but even managing a low-budget charlton in league 1 is probably the best job he’s going to be able to get 
    If Holden should decide to leave (which I hope he doesn’t) for the life of me I cannot see managerial candidates queuing up Charlton Church Lane to put their CV’s in
  • They'll always be a lot of people after any managerial job I'm League football.

Whether the quality of them would be any good, however....
  • There's alot of ex managers unemployed. Daily Fail reported that Oxford had 130 applications.
    Sol Campbell backing  himself. 
    Has he really got piles…….if so that would put pressure on anyone.🤭
  • edited March 2023
    How many managers have we had over TS' reign? This is laughing stock material. I think we get relegated next season to League Two if we don't change ownership soon.
  • Sponsored links:

Exactly right and I was told by somebody last week that he applied for a league 2 managers job - that job is now filled - don’t blame him at all in the circumstances 
  • edited March 2023
    How many managers have we had over TS' reign? This is laughing stock material. I think we get relegated next season to League Two if we don't change ownership soon.
    Not including Caretaker Managers... Five, from Bowyer 2021 to Holden 2023

We had nine Managers under Roland from Chris Powell in 2014, to Bowyer in September 2018.
  • DOUCHER said:
    If I was him I think I would be on my toes. Basket case of an owner, as it stands at the moment he can't make any plans for next season to bring in players, no contract talks for the last two weeks giving him and his family no security, if and when there is a take over he will no doubt get the boot as he wouldn't be their choice. 
    Exactly right and I was told by somebody last week that he applied for a league 2 managers job - that job is now filled - don’t blame him at all in the circumstances 
    I was told by somebody last week he represented a Nigerian prince, don't make it true.
    Holden seems like a decent bloke and he was making a better fist of this crappy squad than Garner before him but Charlton's success beyond tonight's game ain't a priority for him is it?
    Cawley's soundbite "... no approach from Oxford" is true I'm sure.  My money's on that should read "...no approach from Oxford - YET"
    Oxford or anyotherclub won't "approach" Skintgaard, or whichever bloated leach is working for him, to sort out compo until they're sure Holden's accepting the job.
    In flagrant breach of the supposed rules, players and managers alike are routinely tapped up for transfers and job offers.  Football has this childish nonsense about contracts and employees being prohibited from sorting out their own working future, when everybody knows they're all at it and rightly so, their jobs are no different from we mortals.

Holden will go with full respect and best wishes for putting in a shift.  His hands are hopelessly tied in this thankless job and he owes it to himself to get the next job available.
    Can't bring myself to imagine what skill and experience his successor will have, presuming that skintgaard and storrie will be recruiting them.
  • edited March 2023
    Billy_Mix said:
    DOUCHER said:
    I was told by somebody last week he represented a Nigerian prince, don't make it true.
    Holden seems like a decent bloke and he was making a better fist of this crappy squad than Garner before him but Charlton's success beyond tonight's game ain't a priority for him is it?
    Cawley's soundbite "... no approach from Oxford" is true I'm sure.  My money's on that should read "...no approach from Oxford - YET"
    Oxford or anyotherclub won't "approach" Skintgaard, or whichever bloated leach is working for him, to sort out compo until they're sure Holden's accepting the job.
    In flagrant breach of the supposed rules, players and managers alike are routinely tapped up for transfers and job offers.  Football has this childish nonsense about contracts and employees being prohibited from sorting out their own working future, when everybody knows they're all at it and rightly so, their jobs are no different from we mortals.

Holden will go with full respect and best wishes for putting in a shift.  His hands are hopelessly tied in this thankless job and he owes it to himself to get the next job available.
    Can't bring myself to imagine what skill and experience his successor will have, presuming that skintgaard and storrie will be recruiting them.
    He was until mid January which was how long ago now? 

It's clear his agent is going around sticking Holden's name against any vacant club in the hope one of them get desperate and actually interview him for the role. The QPR 'leak' that they were going for Holden literally hours before they hired Ainsworth should have made this obvious by now. 
  • If we got a new and decent owner, then Chris Wilder wouldn't be an unrealistic target, as his stock has fallen since a poor spell at Boro, where Michael Carrick has transformed the team since taking over
    Carrick has hardly transformed the team, not yet anyway. Wilder got off to a great start at Boro so Carrick has a way to go
    Under Wilder, Middlesbrough took 10 points from 11 games this season and in danger of relegation. Under Carrick, they've taken 43 points from 19 games, are 3rd and in with a chance, on current form, of automatic promotion. Carrick has certainly turned things around with the main success being that of getting the most out of Akpom with 18 of the 48 goals scored by Middlesbrough in that period.
  • If we got a new and decent owner, then Chris Wilder wouldn't be an unrealistic target, as his stock has fallen since a poor spell at Boro, where Michael Carrick has transformed the team since taking over
    Carrick has hardly transformed the team, not yet anyway. Wilder got off to a great start at Boro so Carrick has a way to go
    Under Wilder, Middlesbrough took 10 points from 11 games this season and in danger of relegation. Under Carrick, they've taken 43 points from 19 games, are 3rd and in with a chance, on current form, of automatic promotion. Carrick has certainly turned things around with the main success being that of getting the most out of Akpom with 18 of the 48 goals scored by Middlesbrough in that period.
    100%, I said that a while ago however the run they are on is superb. They are my tip to go up via the playoffs 
  • edited March 2023
    It's to early to tell how he will do he needs time & money to build a team to get us up 
    It's not going to be cheap as to get us up we need at least 6 Championship quality player's
    Which means a huge clear out will he get the backing & the money not so sure myself