Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• excellent news
  • Great news. He gets us.
  • we we don't have "easier" teams to play, they are just as difficult in different ways
  • we we don't have "easier" teams to play, they are just as difficult in different ways
    Which is why I put easier in quotation marks. They will be easier than playing Plymouth, but we don’t have the players to just turn up and turn teams over with. 
  • Only at Charlton could a manager get a contract extension after going 6 hours without scoring. 

I like Holden and under the circumstances will take him. I just don't really see him as much of an improvement on Garner but realistically under current ownership no manager is going to thrive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Meh. 

I'll give him another year but can't say what I've seen on the pitch has been good. 

The constant 'he gets us' while we lose to Accrington, Cambridge and Morecambe will be tiresome. 
    We have not played them yet, you're a bundle of fun.
  • As a minimum it will help with whatever signings we do try and make by simply having a confirmed manager. 

Of course he has much to prove still and that would be true of any appointment. 

We can only otherwise judge him by whatever public utterances he gives (aside from actual results) as to how he is doing stuff behind the scenes and his relationship with the ownership. I’m tired of bland statements / we are doing good things in training / looking at the balance of the squad etc. I want a bit more honesty from whoever our manager is and (relatively) he appears to do that. 
  • I’m not necessarily sold on Holden, but it’s really difficult to make an opinion when we don’t have a competitive squad for this league.

What I will say is that when we were bad under Adkins and Jackson, I thought we were really bad - where I have yet to really see that from a Holden team.

Ultimately we were not good enough against Bolton, Plymouth etc, but on the whole I’ve seen us play a lot worse in recent years.

I don’t expect us to go on a massive winning streak now because we have ‘easier’ teams, because we don’t have a good enough squad for that. But I expect us to pick up points and finish comfortably mid table - if we can’t manage that then I’ll be be more worried about next year. 
    To be fair the games Holden has lost, are the sort of fixtures you'd expect a mid-table side to lose.

Got lucky against Barnsley... and may have got a bit more from our last four games, however our charitable nature has seen us gift promotion chasing teams, three of their four goals - Something you cant be doing against those teams.

Fleetwood is the only blot on his record for us, is the only game I'd have expected to do better.
    Pretty much where I am at. I didn’t see the Fleetwood game so can’t talk to the overall performance. 

But over a season a mid table team will sometimes pick up points against the top teams, and sometimes drop points against the bottom sides.

Its why they are a mid table team. 
  • I’m not necessarily sold on Holden, but it’s really difficult to make an opinion when we don’t have a competitive squad for this league.

What I will say is that when we were bad under Adkins and Jackson, I thought we were really bad - where I have yet to really see that from a Holden team.

Ultimately we were not good enough against Bolton, Plymouth etc, but on the whole I’ve seen us play a lot worse in recent years.

I don’t expect us to go on a massive winning streak now because we have ‘easier’ teams, because we don’t have a good enough squad for that. But I expect us to pick up points and finish comfortably mid table - if we can’t manage that then I’ll be be more worried about next year. 
    To be fair the games Holden has lost, are the sort of fixtures you'd expect a mid-table side to lose.

Got lucky against Barnsley... and may have got a bit more from our last four games, however our charitable nature has seen us gift promotion chasing teams, three of their four goals - Something you cant be doing against those teams.

Fleetwood is the only blot on his record for us, is the only game I'd have expected to do better.
    Exactly this. Oxford would also be an early blot on that, but generally we've got points against those teams that a mid table team should get points against, which was Garner's main failing... we just looked worse against worse teams. 
  • Think this is good news, hopefully he will get some backing in the summer.
  • Meh. 

I'll give him another year but can't say what I've seen on the pitch has been good. 

The constant 'he gets us' while we lose to Accrington, Cambridge and Morecambe will be tiresome. 
    I get your point, but don’t think even William Still can get this squad playing well. 

• I like Holden, not his agent so much. 

Dean needs to get the best out of a forward line now. Be that using wingers or youth.
  • Jonniesta said:
    I’m not necessarily sold on Holden, but it’s really difficult to make an opinion when we don’t have a competitive squad for this league.

Exactly this. Oxford would also be an early blot on that, but generally we've got points against those teams that a mid table team should get points against, which was Garner's main failing... we just looked worse against worse teams. 
    Forgot he was in charge as early as Oxford

What I've liked is whenever we have lost, we've tended to get a reaction the next game

Derby | Sheff Wed are the only back to back games he's lost
  • Sponsored links:

• What does this tell us about the status of the takeover? Could be it's close and new lot happy with Holden or TS going to remain as majority shareholder.
  • It can be sold as a positive in that the manager sees a reason to stay on ahead of the summer. The negative side of me thinks he’s not got anywhere with the jobs that we’re supposedly looking at him so didn’t have much choice.

It must be a boost for the players to know the bloke isn’t looking out for interviews elsewhere every day.

• Doesn't matter if TS and his family still own the club.
  • To the extent that I'm whelmed about anything to do with the club at the moment, I'm pleased if this is true in that I like the guy and it gives at least an element of stability.  Whether he's actually any good or not remains to  be seen as he's working with utter chuff and will be until such times as there is root and branch change.  By that point he may have become irrelevant but at least its something.
  • Great news. He gets us.
    See this peddled out a lot, but have never known what it means. 
  • I suppose it brings a bit of stability to the club but in the long term who the manager is is irrelevant, Pep, Jose & Poch could not get our bunch of dross playing any better so its all about the investment in the squad.
  • Doesn't matter if TS and his family still own the club.
    Spot on. At least Holden is a likable bloke.
  • edited March 2023
    Dean Holden is consistently going out of his way to find out more about Charlton Athletic and it’s context.
    Not many other managers have tried so hard, the ‘indigenous’ managers like Powell and Curbs and Jacko haven’t needed to, Adkins tried a bit, but Peeters, Slade, Robinson and some others always seemed to behave like strangers in a strange land.
    As a result I have tried to find out more about Swinton and discovered Charles Dickens once visited the Swinton industrial school.