Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dean Holden - Jan 2024: now assistant manager at Al Ettifaq in Saudi Arabia (p46)

Comments

• He's not off to QPR then thankfully 
  • edited February 2023
    Ainsworth announced by QPR.

I’ve liked Holden but would not have been as upset as other fans if he had made the switch. Our club is a shambles and big changes are needed at the top before even worrying about who the manager is or what the playing squad looks like come August.

He’s a good bloke and deserves a club that will give him a contract with some security beyond the end of May.
  • edited February 2023
    I would be very disappointed if we lost Dean Holden as our manager.

His arrival has given me a lift and he seems to have quickly earned the respect of the playing squad. He has been able to find the areas some individual players are more comfortable in and with a consistency of selection, teamwork (and results) should get better.  

I think we have been very fortunate with Holden`s appointment (nothing to do with the Black Box) and I can see him bringing success on the pitch if he is sensibly backed. 

It will not be easy for us to find an equal or better manager if Holden goes. Whoever owns us in the future will have, or inherit, a mature and stable manager who has the skill to positively influence the main area of this football club - on the pitch.

• JamesSeed said:
    I don’t know what to think about Holden any more. 
    I do know that Hayes did ok. At least he had a plan when we beat Brighton. 
    I’ll counter that with Stockport away in the cup. A truly shambolic performance. 
    Yeah, but that was literally two days after Garner was sacked. 
    I'm not saying he's the answer, but I enjoyed the Brighton game. It was one of the few occasions where I could actually see a marked change in tactics for a one off game. Found it interesting is all.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Ainsworth football is awful to watch. Pity any clubs fans that take him on 
    Yes, and he wouldn’t fit QPR’s style of play at all. 
    The classic yo-yo that so many clubs do between managers playing "pure" passing football, and managers who grind out results.

The other yo-yo is between the young exciting manager (big name newly retired PL player or the highly rated foreign manager) and the safe pair of hands "been there, done it" managers of the Warnock, Big Sam ilk, but also now including experienced foreign managers like Bilic and Benitez.
    It's harder to change the playing style to a more physical one when you have more technical players, and when your key man is tiny perhaps?
  • Ainsworth announced by QPR.

I’ve liked Holden but would not have been as upset as other fans if he had made the switch. Our club is a shambles and big changes are needed at the top before even worrying about who the manager is or what the playing squad looks like come August.

He’s a good bloke and deserves a club that will give him a contract with some security beyond the end of May.
    Well that won’t help DH agent negotiations with TS 😀
  • msomerton said:
    I am out of step with most on this thread.
    I believe club should wait to the end of the season before making a decision on whether to offer Dean Holden a long contract.
    Let's see what the sum of his time in management adds upto.
    For example I am not sure how tactically aware he is and seems to be caught out by the opposition manager making changes during a game.
    I agree, but ONLY if we have someone else lined up to take the job when the season ends if we decide not to offer Holden a new contract. As a few posters have mentioned, part of the reason why we are struggling this season is that Garner was brought in too late. Many clubs had already started identifying targets & signing players by the time Garner joined us. Can't have that happening again this summer. 
    Thomas in the faint hope you’re reading this, please get a good deal over the line ASAP , otherwise it will be a rinse and repeat, and you will lose even more money, the longer this drags on, hurting us, and you.
  • Scoham said:
    Croydon said:
    Dress sense is grim as well. I'd hate to have that mid-life crisis on the touchline every week.
    I get the feeling his playing style and dress sense wouldn’t be the only thing that our fans wouldn’t like about him.

Most lapped up the sap's guitar playing antics and couldn't climb up Sandgaard's arse quick enough to hush anyone criticising it so I expect Ainsworth would be greeted by a merry wank circle should he turn up blasting out Addicks 2 Victory on his strat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Croydon said:
    Dress sense is grim as well. I'd hate to have that mid-life crisis on the touchline every week.
    I get the feeling his playing style and dress sense wouldn’t be the only thing that our fans wouldn’t like about him.

Most lapped up the sap's guitar playing antics and couldn't climb up Sandgaard's arse quick enough to hush anyone criticising it so I expect Ainsworth would be greeted by a merry wank circle should he turn up blasting out Addicks 2 Victory on his strat.
    Bravo. You paint a scene like Constable or Turner!
  • If stoke keep losing I can see Holden going there. Very well respected when assistant there. 
  • If stoke keep losing I can see Holden going there. Very well respected when assistant there. 
    They must have heard you as they are 2-1 up now 
  • I'm glad he's not leaving, if nothing else because I don't think we'd replace him with someone better.

That said, I feel like he's probably in the right place at the right time for his career trajectory, at least at the moment. I think he needs to learn how to grow a team with an identity and style of play and system. It seems like he has the man management skills for that, time will tell how he does with the tactical side. 

I think given the state our club is in, this is kind of a free hit for him. Expectations are low, there's not much to play for, but the squad has enough quality in it that we should be in almost every game we play. It's pretty rare that you get a chance to learn on the job as a manager where you have a lot of good will in the bank and expectations aren't that high. 

Obviously, if a decent Champo side comes in and he's their top choice, I expect he'll be off. But I suspect we'll have him until at least the summer, and hopefully beyond if things go well. 
  • If the owner doesn’t back the manager, it doesn’t matter who the manager is.
    WHEN the owner...... 
  • robroy said:
    If the owner doesn’t back the manager, it doesn’t matter who the manager is.
    WHEN the owner...... 
    Who will that be?
  • Anyone with eyes at the Training Ground know whether he took training today? Heard a snippet that I am struggling to believe, but if he was missing today then it would add more credence to the message.
  • Anyone with eyes at the Training Ground know whether he took training today? Heard a snippet that I am struggling to believe, but if he was missing today then it would add more credence to the message.
    You little tease 
  • edited February 2023
    Daily Mail reporting that Methven and his cronies are pursuing a £50M claim against Sandgaard, and any new Charlton owner would be joined in the action as a co-defendant.
    Whilst it is all a load of crap, it got me thinking whether Holden has been got at by Methven.
    I have certainly noticed a drop in Holden’s energy levels of late and he seems to have lost much of his love for the club. Whilst just pure conjecture on my part, he seemed to enjoy a good relationship with Scott and the others who were brought in, and who have since departed.
    Perhaps, Holden has been told that it would be detrimental to his career if he did not show his public support for Methven et al by calling time on his managership of Charlton?
    In true Del-Boy fashion, Methven may have told him ‘Stick with us son, we’re gonna make you Rich’ (or ‘wich’ as Del told Tony Angelino.)
    Just a thought.
  • Sponsored links:

• Daily Mail reporting that Methven and his cronies are pursuing a £50M claim against Sandgaard, and any new Charlton owner would be joined in the action as a co-defendant.
    Whilst it is all a load of crap, it got me thinking whether Holden has been got at by Methven.
    I have certainly noticed a drop in Holden’s energy levels of late and he seems to have lost much of his love for the club. Whilst just pure conjecture on my part, he seemed to enjoy a good relationship with Scott and the others who were brought in, and who have since departed.
    Perhaps, Holden has been told that it would be detrimental to his career if he did not show his public support for Methven et al by calling time on his managership of Charlton?
    In true Del-Boy fashion, Methven may have told him ‘Stick with us son, we’re gonna make you Rich’ (or ‘wich’ as Del told Tony Angelino.)
    Just a thought.
    Must admit I haven’t noticed that at all … seems as committed and professional as always.   
  • edited February 2023
    stonemuse said:
    Daily Mail reporting that Methven and his cronies are pursuing a £50M claim against Sandgaard, and any new Charlton owner would be joined in the action as a co-defendant.
    Just a thought.
    Must admit I haven’t noticed that at all … seems as committed and professional as always.   
    I was going to say the same, in the very small snippets we get from him (not enough to make any sort of informed judgement) it seems like business as usual.
  • https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11823199/Oxford-United-looking-bring-Charlton-boss-Dean-Holden-sacking-Karl-Robinson.html Holden’s agent still working overtime? Bit more realistic than the championship rumours so maybe there’s something to it 
  • Well at Charlton, he must of realised by now he has taken up pottery using a bucket of shit.

Good luck to him.
  • He's pimping himself out to any club looking for a manager. 

Thing is, clubs can take one look at our performances currently and say no thank you. He's not that great. 
    I think he’s linking himself to the jobs to try and put pressure on TS to give him a new contract. Not going to happen though. A new owner will most likely want their own manager so TS won’t risk giving Holden a new contract until he absolutely has too in the summer if no takeover has happened 
  • Funny Jackson was fav for the job last week .. more lazy journalism.. can’t even get their facts right , Holden himself has given his own update on contact talks and the report still gets it wrong 
  • Frontrunners seem to be Chris Wilder, Michael Appleton and Des Buckingham according to reports but there has been no official update from the club. 
  • He's pimping himself out to any club looking for a manager. 

Thing is, clubs can take one look at our performances currently and say no thank you. He's not that great. 
    In fairness no manager would look great with this squad.