Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• All this talk of lack of alcohol sounds nearly as bad as Colchester away
  • satsuma27 said:
    Sometimes I feel we in the West feel like we've got a monopoly on the truth. I feel like the old mother's saying "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" is appropriate here. Not condoning Qatar's policies, but maybe we should look at all the bad stuff we do.

The West and western culture is the most tolerant and democratic of any culture in the world today with excellent human rights comparative to elsewhere.

China, Russia, most of Asia and much of South America are horrendous in many aspects in that respect.

Sick of the constant western bashing, navel gazing  and self flagellation as if the west is the source of all the world's current and historic issues and the rest of the world is/ was a peaceful, progressive utopia before westerners interfered.

We are bloody lucky to live in the West and for our values, equal opportunities and liberal ideologies which whilst not perfect are far better than any other system currently in play.
    Whilst I don’t disagree with any of that, does that make it ok to lie / exaggerate about situations in other countries in order to make them look even worse? 

What about blackmailing countries over much needed aid in exchange for adopting western ideas / standards? 
    Unusual definition of blackmail when it's the "blackmailer" handing over money
  • Jints said:
    satsuma27 said:
    Sometimes I feel we in the West feel like we've got a monopoly on the truth. I feel like the old mother's saying "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" is appropriate here. Not condoning Qatar's policies, but maybe we should look at all the bad stuff we do.

The West and western culture is the most tolerant and democratic of any culture in the world today with excellent human rights comparative to elsewhere.

China, Russia, most of Asia and much of South America are horrendous in many aspects in that respect.

Sick of the constant western bashing, navel gazing  and self flagellation as if the west is the source of all the world's current and historic issues and the rest of the world is/ was a peaceful, progressive utopia before westerners interfered.

We are bloody lucky to live in the West and for our values, equal opportunities and liberal ideologies which whilst not perfect are far better than any other system currently in play.
    Whilst I don’t disagree with any of that, does that make it ok to lie / exaggerate about situations in other countries in order to make them look even worse? 

What about blackmailing countries over much needed aid in exchange for adopting western ideas / standards? 
    No really, when they are forcing legal and political change in exchange. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Everyone has a different moral compass 

each to their own

The way most of those Middle East countries have built their infrastructure etc and treat their cheap labour foreign workers is utter filth and a reason I won’t be going out there 

Having supported charities that have helped migrant workers and their families come to terms with the shit they’ve been put through I’m gutted this tournament is taking place where it is . 

Of course nowhere is perfect but some less so than others .

that’s my grown up piece for the year 

So what is the difference between Eastern Europeans, working on the farms and factories in the UK that live in 30 year old caravans with no running water or heaters?

UK press seem to ignore that..

I am not defending the way the workers are treated here, but they are certainly looked after a lot better than you think, and they are creating a better live for their families, and have a better standard of living than they would in the countries they have been coming from. Not sure that can be said for the farm workers..

UK press seem to have away of not having all the facts in place, or printing both sides of the stories! 

I thought that the workers in Qatar had no choice where they can live and have their passports taken off them, as well as a portion of their wages automatically deducted? 

Unless that is all made up too?    
    No, you haven't made it up. Not sure about deduction from wages, I haven't heard that before. If they are working for Government backed companies, they wouldn't have had passports taken off them, but private companies then pretty high chance passports would have been taken off them. 

When you say no choice to live, that is pretty much the same with most international working contracts, that includes accommodation, I know when I moved to the UAE I wasn't given a choice where I lived. 

But the labours, are given free accommodation, they have food delivered to where they live, they have free electric, A/C they are also provided with internet. They would also be given health insurance as well... Plus they are earning more money than they would be..

Do I agree with the way they are treated, 100% not, are they treated fairly 100% not. Is it right 100% not. But my point is, everyone is commenting on it, without really having a total understanding of the circumstance, they are coming from and other benefits they are getting!  
  • Off_it said:
    What a thoroughly depressing thread.

Although I did think the comparison of the conditions of migrant workers in Qatar to those in, say rural Lincolnshire, was pretty special mental gymnastics.
    At least they wouldn't get wet and cold I suppose... 
  • edited November 2022
    Just flown on Qatar Airlines to Doha for the first time and they are a complete shambles.

Couldn't organise a stoning in a whorehouse.

Late flights, clueless ground staff, lost my bags, failure to offer any apology or compensation.

I would be very surprised if more than half the teams manage to get to to Doha airport which is like a giant dystopian pimped-up motorway service station.

Don't  believe their glossy adverts or David bloody Beckham who last time I saw him,  was pimping for Chinese property developers in Hainan. 

Fake airline, fake place, fake world cup. 
    Grumpy living up to his name here, WP 
     ;) 
  • Just flown on Qatar Airlines to Doha for the first time and they are a complete shambles.

Couldn't organise a stoning in a whorehouse.

Late flights, clueless ground staff, lost my bags, failure to offer any apology or compensation.

I would be very surprised if more than half the teams manage to get to to Doha airport which is like a giant dystopian pimped-up motorway service station.

Don't  believe their glossy adverts or David bloody Beckham who last time I saw him,  was pimping for Chinese property developers in Hainan. 

Fake airline, fake place, fake world cup. 
    Good trip then?
  • edited November 2022
    cafctom said:
    The amount of coverage and discussion going towards the topic of alcohol is ridiculous. Are people at home in England really that concerned about whether people on the other side of the world are having a pint?

What's your view of homosexuality being illegal out there? 
    I don’t agree with it, whatsoever.

Sorry - Why on earth are you asking me that question in response to a comment about alcohol?
  • Sponsored links:

• DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    This interesting.. Fanzones are still being sponsored by Budweiser - and will remain to be! 

Beer is being freely sold in stadiums, fanzones and hotels. You just can't walk around the streets drinking!

It will be pretty pricey, as it beer is anyway in the world! Will be around 9 quid a pint from my understanding in the fanzones.. 
    No alcohol in the stadiums actually.
    Okay - different to what I have heard..

Edit - within the hospitality sections they are serving within the stadium!  

"Fifa have said ticket holders will have access to drink options within the stadium perimeter prior to kick-off and after the final whistle.

Inside the stadium bowl ticket holders will only be able to purchase non-alcoholic beer and soft drinks."

So not in the stadium, there will be some outside in the 'perimeter'. Which Qatar have announced this weekend they're not happy with and want moved anyway. 
    https://hospitality.fifa.com/2022/en/faqs/making-a-purchase/hospitality-area-and-private-suites-details/q-will-alcohol-be-served-andor-permitted-in-the-hospitality-areas-of-the-stadium/
    So in the stadium, then. In the hospitality sections that was mentioned on here a few posts back but incorrectly rebuffed.
    In fairness if you said 'inside the stadium' to most people they would take that as meaning in the general seats.

If you've got say a 50k capacity, it only being available in hospitality areas, probably means 2-3k fans max will be able to get a beer.

For me personally (i've got tickets for 2 games), it doesn't really bother me. Will actually save the hassle of feeling obliged to queue for most of half time just to neck a pint in 2 minutes before rushing back to my seat.
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    The amount of coverage and discussion going towards the topic of alcohol is ridiculous. Are people at home in England really that concerned about whether people on the other side of the world are having a pint?

Sorry - Why on earth are you asking me that question in response to a comment about alcohol?
    I'm not concerned about the Mickey Mouse stuff like beer, accommodation and media exaggeration that people are discussing to try and justify things not being that bad out there. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    This interesting.. Fanzones are still being sponsored by Budweiser - and will remain to be! 

Beer is being freely sold in stadiums, fanzones and hotels. You just can't walk around the streets drinking!

It will be pretty pricey, as it beer is anyway in the world! Will be around 9 quid a pint from my understanding in the fanzones.. 

"Fifa have said ticket holders will have access to drink options within the stadium perimeter prior to kick-off and after the final whistle.

Inside the stadium bowl ticket holders will only be able to purchase non-alcoholic beer and soft drinks."

So not in the stadium, there will be some outside in the 'perimeter'. Which Qatar have announced this weekend they're not happy with and want moved anyway. 
    https://hospitality.fifa.com/2022/en/faqs/making-a-purchase/hospitality-area-and-private-suites-details/q-will-alcohol-be-served-andor-permitted-in-the-hospitality-areas-of-the-stadium/
    So in the stadium, then. In the hospitality sections that was mentioned on here a few posts back but incorrectly rebuffed.
    In fairness if you said 'inside the stadium' to most people they would take that as meaning in the general seats.

If you've got say a 50k capacity, it only being available in hospitality areas, probably means 2-3k fans max will be able to get a beer.

For me personally (i've got tickets for 2 games), it doesn't really bother me. Will actually save the hassle of feeling obliged to queue for most of half time just to neck a pint in 2 minutes before rushing back to my seat.
    Same - it's a little different to going to watch a normal league game.. Few beers somewhere before the match, then soak up the atmosphere around the ground. 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Same - it's a little different to going to watch a normal league game.. Few beers somewhere before the match, then soak up the atmosphere around the ground. 
    I wonder why that is though? What happens in all the different divisions of their football league games every Saturday…oh
  • Lloris indicates he won’t wear the rainbow captains armband in the tournament 
  • Fumbluff said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

I wonder why that is though? What happens in all the different divisions of their football league games every Saturday…oh
    I think there is nearly unanimous agreement the tournament shouldn’t be held there, but the fact is that it is being held there. That’s not gonna change. Doesn’t mean people should look down on anyone who is looking forward to the tournament or going there to support their team. 
  • Jints said:
    satsuma27 said:

No really, when they are forcing legal and political change in exchange. 
    As a condition. We shouldn't be handing over money without requiring improvements or without knowing what that money is to be spent on. Far too often in the past, money given for development has been used to but weapons or just disappeared into Swiss bank accounts. Nobody is forcing developing countries to take the money so it can hardly constitute blackmail by any definition.
  • edited November 2022
    Fumbluff said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff has signed into law a bill that in principle allows the sale of beer during 2014 World Cup matches.

Football's world governing body, Fifa, had demanded a change in Brazilian legislation banning alcohol at football matches.

The new bill, setting a number of rules for the World Cup, does not mention any restriction on the sale of alcohol.

Beer sales have been illegal at football matches in Brazil since 2003.

Earlier this year Fifa's General Secretary, Jerome Valcke, made it clear that the right to sell beer must be enshrined in legislation on the World Cup in the Brazilian Congress.

"Alcoholic drinks are part of the Fifa World Cup, so we're going to have them. Excuse me if I sound a bit arrogant but that's something we won't negotiate," he said.

"The fact that we have the right to sell beer has to be a part of the law."

Funny how it's one rule for one World Cup though and a different one here because there's a bit more money involved from the host eh? 

• Anyone seen Fifa Uncovered on Netflix?

• Sponsored links:

• edited November 2022
    kimbo said:
    Anyone seen Fifa Uncovered on Netflix?

Yes - very good watch.. Nearly every country since 1982 has won the bid with buying votes!
  • DubaiCAFC said:

each to their own

The way most of those Middle East countries have built their infrastructure etc and treat their cheap labour foreign workers is utter filth and a reason I won’t be going out there 

Having supported charities that have helped migrant workers and their families come to terms with the shit they’ve been put through I’m gutted this tournament is taking place where it is . 

So what is the difference between Eastern Europeans, working on the farms and factories in the UK that live in 30 year old caravans with no running water or heaters?

I am not defending the way the workers are treated here, but they are certainly looked after a lot better than you think, and they are creating a better live for their families, and have a better standard of living than they would in the countries they have been coming from. Not sure that can be said for the farm workers..

UK press seem to have away of not having all the facts in place, or printing both sides of the stories! 

I thought that the workers in Qatar had no choice where they can live and have their passports taken off them, as well as a portion of their wages automatically deducted? 

No choice where to live: True (Most of the time its provided accommodation, as is my situation at the moment)
    Have passports taken: False....its actually against the law here to withold someones passport (aside from initial residency visa process).
    Portion of wages automatically deducted: Not normal at all....... Only reason would be if they owe a recruiter (which unfortunately would be a fellow national)
  • DubaiCAFC said:

each to their own

No choice where to live: True (Most of the time its provided accommodation, as is my situation at the moment)
    Have passports taken: False....its actually against the law here to withold someones passport (aside from initial residency visa process).
    Portion of wages automatically deducted: Not normal at all....... Only reason would be if they owe a recruiter (which unfortunately would be a fellow national)
    Thanks Napsy for the clarification. amazing what people believe in the British press. There are few Charlton fans heading to the England V Wales game, would be good to meet a fellow Charlton fan.

• DubaiCAFC said:

each to their own

Does the law really stop it though? It’s illegal here too, but was wife up until covid knocked that nonsense on the head 
  • edited November 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:

each to their own

Does the law really stop it though? It’s illegal here too, but was wife up until covid knocked that nonsense on the head 
    They try to police it that is for sure, some major companies have had huge fines. As I said earlier government based companies certainly wouldn't withhold passports, but non government may do!
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

each to their own

Thanks Napsy for the clarification. amazing what people believe in the British press. There are few Charlton fans heading to the England V Wales game, would be good to meet a fellow Charlton fan.

I have tickets to this match also, have to organise something pre match then.

Also regarding the beer in the stadium........I was in and around Khalifa Stadium today and can confirm that Budweiser have outlets in the stadium perimeter (after ticket check and security, before entering the actual stadium) and look to be serving Budweiser & Budweiser Zero. The outlets are away from the entrance gates so maybe this is the compromise of being slightly less visible?? 
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

each to their own

They try to police it that is for sure, some major companies have had huge fines. As I said earlier government based companies certainly wouldn't withhold passports, but non government may do!
    The mental thing here was government owned institutions (mostly universities) were the worst for it 
  • Actually I thought all FIFA and UEFA games are non-alcohol beer only, inside the stadium. Pretty sure it was at Germany 06, amd certainly is for UEFA club games. This pisses off Czech  fans far more than seeing their teams being mullered by three of Europés most powerful clubs - for national league games they can buy Gambrinus from the sellers with mobile kegs who come down the gangways throughout the game. 
  • cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

I'm not concerned about the Mickey Mouse stuff like beer, accommodation and media exaggeration that people are discussing to try and justify things not being that bad out there. 
    I made a comment about the over-the-top coverage of the availability of alcohol, and you’ve responded by asking my opinion about homosexuality laws without any kind of context as to why.

Strange logic, but hey ho.