Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    Johnson.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Interesting discussion of why Lineker's going. Will be interesting to see how much light they shine on the non-football issues through the tournament but seems to suggest they're covering it up front then focusing on the football. 

Do the BBC / ITV really need to go out there?

Can they not cover International Tournaments with the majority presenting from home - Only really need a handful of reporters actually out there.
    Both usually have too many presenters / pundits in every city hosting games, plus news reporters on top of that. Always find it strange how many people they feel they need at each physical location.
  • Options
    At least I have the satisfaction that I am not paying their wages.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Dave2l said:
    Becks was the frontman for Englands world Cup 2018/22 bids

It's clear he can never say no to money, even though he's got a lot of it. 

What is it about money? Surely when you have an overwhelming amount, you won't feel any need to have more of it?

Greed, for what? You've already got everything you want and need
    Maybe it gives him a purpose? Everyone needs one whether your'e poor or absolutely minted.
    Selling yourself to the highest bidder isn't a purpose. It's a moral vacuum. 
    Whilst Qatar probably were the highest bidder trying to get Beckham to promote the Qatar World Cup tournament, I will counter by saying Beckham took the lowest offer to promote the Qatar World Cup tournament as I am not sure there was anyone else offering to pay him to promote the Qatar World Cup tournament. 
    Good one. 

Fact is Beckham sells himself to anyone that meets his paycheck. I'm sure you'd see him popping up in North Korea to shill their country if they met his valuation. 

The 'jack the lad' image is being found out. 

Remember this from back in the day too: 

"David Beckham has responded to claims on the front page of The Sun which suggested he’d involved himself in charity work with the intention of getting a knighthood.

According to so-called hacked emails from as far back as 2013 - acquired by Football Leaks, the sport equivalent of WikiLeaks - Beckham was reportedly furious to have missed out on a knighthood, despite his past work with Unicef."

I imagine he advertises a tiny percentage of what he is offered. 

And what Jack the Lad image are you referring to? He was the total opposite, when did you ever see him stumbling out of a taxi pissed out of his head? 
  • Options
    satsuma27 said:
    Sometimes I feel we in the West feel like we've got a monopoly on the truth. I feel like the old mother's saying "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" is appropriate here. Not condoning Qatar's policies, but maybe we should look at all the bad stuff we do.
    Arresting and imprisoning LGBT people isn't one of them. 
    Agreed but the increased restrictions on an individual's civil liberties and right to protest is - including the arrest of journalists whose "crime" is to report on such events. Because that is what has been happening here. 
  • Options
    For me the crooks at FIFA were the crux of this unholy mess.

However, good to know that (thanks to the FBI and the US department of Justice) 50 people were charged with their part in the bribery, corruption and fraud. 

Of the 22 FIFA ExCo (executive committee) members who voted for the 2018 and 2022 world cup hosts only one remains.

Sepp Blatter is banned from FIFA and football related activity until 2028.

Jack Warner and Ricardo Teixeira remain in their home countries and are actively sought by US law enforcement.

Chuck Blazer, (Jack Warner's right hand man) died in 2017 - not celebrating his death btw - but he was picked up early in the investigation and sang like a canary in a plea bargaining deal.

FIFA the organisation (not individuals) have received 201 million dollars in compensation from recovered funds.

I dunno what the new lot are like, but please god they can't be worse than the old lot ... can they?

One can only hope that progress will be made on the human rights issues as Qatar are placed directly in the spotlight.  In the meantime I will try to enjoy the tournament.

N.b.  Info gained from Netflix documentary 'FIFA Uncovered'

• Options
    FIFA is to blame for this. You would be hard pushed to find a single person who thought it even a half decent decision when Qatar was awarded this WC. Similar to alot of people I'm normally excited this close to any major tournament but I'm really not arsed this time. I will probably watch it but I'm not planning my life around England fixtures which is what I would normally do. Sad that football has been sold to such a poor representation of modern living in terms of host country
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The amount of coverage and discussion going towards the topic of alcohol is ridiculous. Are people at home in England really that concerned about whether people on the other side of the world are having a pint?

• Options
    cafctom said:
    The amount of coverage and discussion going towards the topic of alcohol is ridiculous. Are people at home in England really that concerned about whether people on the other side of the world are having a pint?

It’ll be the same people accusing England fans of being pissed up morons 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

We seem to be concerned with just about everything else that goes on, on the other side of the world, we might aswell add that to the list
  • Options
    This interesting.. Fanzones are still being sponsored by Budweiser - and will remain to be! 

Beer is being freely sold in stadiums, fanzones and hotels. You just can't walk around the streets drinking!

It will be pretty pricey, as it beer is anyway in the world! Will be around 9 quid a pint from my understanding in the fanzones.. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Everyone has a different moral compass 

each to their own

The way most of those Middle East countries have built their infrastructure etc and treat their cheap labour foreign workers is utter filth and a reason I won’t be going out there 

Having supported charities that have helped migrant workers and their families come to terms with the shit they’ve been put through I’m gutted this tournament is taking place where it is . 

Of course nowhere is perfect but some less so than others .

that’s my grown up piece for the year 

So what is the difference between Eastern Europeans, working on the farms and factories in the UK that live in 30 year old caravans with no running water or heaters?

UK press seem to ignore that..

I am not defending the way the workers are treated here, but they are certainly looked after a lot better than you think, and they are creating a better live for their families, and have a better standard of living than they would in the countries they have been coming from. Not sure that can be said for the farm workers..

UK press seem to have away of not having all the facts in place, or printing both sides of the stories! 

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    This interesting.. Fanzones are still being sponsored by Budweiser - and will remain to be! 

Beer is being freely sold in stadiums, fanzones and hotels. You just can't walk around the streets drinking!

It will be pretty pricey, as it beer is anyway in the world! Will be around 9 quid a pint from my understanding in the fanzones.. 
    I watched Gary Neville's 'Countdown to Qatar' on Sky Sports yesterday. 

The guy showing him around said that alcohol would not be on sale in the stadiums or close to the stadiums.  They also visited a large camp site where budget accommodation was available - again no alcohol.  That might be a good thing though as I was reminded of my one camping trip to Blackpool in the 70s.  My drunken mates let my tent down at three o clock in the morning - they found it hilarious ... I didn't.  The program is a couple of months old though so things may have changed. 

The situation is fluid -pardon the pun. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:

I watched Gary Neville's 'Countdown to Qatar' on Sky Sports yesterday. 

The guy showing him around said that alcohol would not be on sale in the stadiums or close to the stadiums.  They also visited a large camp site where budget accommodation was available - again no alcohol.  That might be a good thing though as I was reminded of my one camping trip to Blackpool in the 70s.  My drunken mates let my tent down at three o clock in the morning - they found it hilarious ... I didn't.  The program is a couple of months old though so things may have changed. 

The situation is fluid -pardon the pun. 
    My understanding, Alcohol is being sold in the stadiums, but only in certain locations, and you are not allowed to take in to the seating areas. 

Most of the fans zones and hotels are pretty close to the stadiums. I am not sure about the camps if they are serving booze! It is certainly going to be a different world cup that is for sure! 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

What's your view of homosexuality being illegal out there? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:

No alcohol in the stadiums actually.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:

Okay - different to what I have heard..

Edit - within the hospitality sections they are serving within the stadium!  
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

"Fifa have said ticket holders will have access to drink options within the stadium perimeter prior to kick-off and after the final whistle.

Inside the stadium bowl ticket holders will only be able to purchase non-alcoholic beer and soft drinks."

So not in the stadium, there will be some outside in the 'perimeter'. Which Qatar have announced this weekend they're not happy with and want moved anyway. 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

"Fifa have said ticket holders will have access to drink options within the stadium perimeter prior to kick-off and after the final whistle.

Inside the stadium bowl ticket holders will only be able to purchase non-alcoholic beer and soft drinks."

So not in the stadium, there will be some outside in the 'perimeter'. Which Qatar have announced this weekend they're not happy with and want moved anyway. 
    https://hospitality.fifa.com/2022/en/faqs/making-a-purchase/hospitality-area-and-private-suites-details/q-will-alcohol-be-served-andor-permitted-in-the-hospitality-areas-of-the-stadium/
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Stadium bowl is the seating area I would assume. 100% hospitality sections within the stadium are serving alcohol. 

Stadium perimeter okay, so past the point you would show your tickets, there will be places to buy beer, but just not in to the stadium it's self.. Basically as if you are drinking in the concourse at most stadiums?

I haven't been to World Cup previously, but I understand most of the new grounds built had similar set up, that ticket holders would pass through an outer perimeter, which will have food trucks, serving alcohol, and activations before they enter the main stadium it's self?

Funny isn't the press are making out, no alcohol is being served near the stadium! 
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

https://hospitality.fifa.com/2022/en/faqs/making-a-purchase/hospitality-area-and-private-suites-details/q-will-alcohol-be-served-andor-permitted-in-the-hospitality-areas-of-the-stadium/
    So in the stadium, then. In the hospitality sections that was mentioned on here a few posts back but incorrectly rebuffed.
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Everyone has a different moral compass 

each to their own

The way most of those Middle East countries have built their infrastructure etc and treat their cheap labour foreign workers is utter filth and a reason I won’t be going out there 

Having supported charities that have helped migrant workers and their families come to terms with the shit they’ve been put through I’m gutted this tournament is taking place where it is . 

Of course nowhere is perfect but some less so than others .

that’s my grown up piece for the year 

So what is the difference between Eastern Europeans, working on the farms and factories in the UK that live in 30 year old caravans with no running water or heaters?

UK press seem to ignore that..

I am not defending the way the workers are treated here, but they are certainly looked after a lot better than you think, and they are creating a better live for their families, and have a better standard of living than they would in the countries they have been coming from. Not sure that can be said for the farm workers..

UK press seem to have away of not having all the facts in place, or printing both sides of the stories! 

I thought that the workers in Qatar had no choice where they can live and have their passports taken off them, as well as a portion of their wages automatically deducted? 

Unless that is all made up too?    
  • Options
    satsuma27 said:
    Sometimes I feel we in the West feel like we've got a monopoly on the truth. I feel like the old mother's saying "people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" is appropriate here. Not condoning Qatar's policies, but maybe we should look at all the bad stuff we do.

The West and western culture is the most tolerant and democratic of any culture in the world today with excellent human rights comparative to elsewhere.

China, Russia, most of Asia and much of South America are horrendous in many aspects in that respect.

Sick of the constant western bashing, navel gazing  and self flagellation as if the west is the source of all the world's current and historic issues and the rest of the world is/ was a peaceful, progressive utopia before westerners interfered.

We are bloody lucky to live in the West and for our values, equal opportunities and liberal ideologies which whilst not perfect are far better than any other system currently in play.
    Whilst I don’t disagree with any of that, does that make it ok to lie / exaggerate about situations in other countries in order to make them look even worse? 

What about blackmailing countries over much needed aid in exchange for adopting western ideas / standards? 
  • Options
    it's like when one of my kids is naughty,  yeah but petrol head did this 
    no little shit you're out of order , stop trying to change the subject at hand, i'm discussing your bad behaviour not petrol heads , i'll deal with his separately , yeah but petrol head did this ..
    two wrongs don't make a right 
    yeah but yeah but
    oh fuck off I can't make the blind see