Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Having seen some pictures of the ‘shipping containers’ (actual recent pictures, not ones from 5-6 months ago that the so called journalists are trotting out), I actually don’t think they look that bad.

Yes, they’re pricier than they should be but I don’t think that comes as a surprise.

Anyone who has followed England away I’m sure can offer stories of some absolute hell holes they’ve stayed in that look far worse.

I mean they basically do look like a shipping container that has been refitted to be a basic living space. Because that's what they are...

Not exactly luxury living. 
    Who goes to a football tournament for the accomodation?

Literally a place to sleep off the booze and go again. Even if you are, there's plenty of 3-5 star hotels in Doha.
    Agreed.

And i say this even as someone who booked a relatively half decent hotel just a couple of weeks ago. Apart from sleeping, i'll probably spend a total of about 30 minutes there. Only booked it as it's right near the stadium we play Wales at.
  • Options
    Agree, last minute virtue-signalling bullshit. Brewdog can do one too, most of that is owned by an American hedge fund who hide behind all this 'punk beer' rubbish. 
    And they all taste of grapefruit 
  • Options
    Comedy tournament.

The funniest thing is the anti-pc brigade saying we should "respect their culture" who will be desperately looking for somewhere to get a drink.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Having seen some pictures of the ‘shipping containers’ (actual recent pictures, not ones from 5-6 months ago that the so called journalists are trotting out), I actually don’t think they look that bad.

Yes, they’re pricier than they should be but I don’t think that comes as a surprise.

Anyone who has followed England away I’m sure can offer stories of some absolute hell holes they’ve stayed in that look far worse.

You can say that again, some of the shared dorms in Ukraine- shudder !! My mates bed was a thin mattress on top of a door laid over two steel blocks in one joint in Donetsk.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I mean they basically do look like a shipping container that has been refitted to be a basic living space. Because that's what they are...

They look like The Ritz compared to the hotel we stayed at in Poznan ‘91 for the Euro qualifier.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    cafctom said:

I'd live in one 

Just not in Qatar obvs 😀
  • Options
    Really not got into the World Cup mood at all yet. Definitely to do with it being smack bang in the middle of the season during winter but also where it's being played. Proper plastic tournament.

Yes Qatar should never have been given the tournament for all kinds of reasons but then I'm also a massive hypocrite as I enjoy going to Dubai for a holiday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Comedy tournament.

The funniest thing is the anti-pc brigade saying we should "respect their culture" who will be desperately looking for somewhere to get a drink.
    Why not do both?
    The government here allow alcohol and there are many places to drink, they just don't want it shoved in their faces all the time.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pqO6tK8_Wg

"ladies and gentlemen we have to clean here first - before we speak about football... this has nothing to do with football"

paraphrased but says it all really.
  • Options
    I watched the recently added Fifa documentary on Netflix.

It's more of a clear direct insight about what actually happened. 

• Options
    A week to go before all journalists on the payroll roll out their 'actually it's not so bad over here' blog posts/columns and the sportswashing is complete. 

Money and blood well spent I am sure. 
    Is Alex Scott going?
  • Options
    I do wonder why people go out their way to tell others they won’t be doing something.

Dont like it, don’t fucking watch it, nobody cares.

Cheers Roger.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Becks was the frontman for Englands world Cup 2018/22 bids

It's clear he can never say no to money, even though he's got a lot of it. 

What is it about money? Surely when you have an overwhelming amount, you won't feel any need to have more of it?

Greed, for what? You've already got everything you want and need
    Maybe it gives him a purpose? Everyone needs one whether your'e poor or absolutely minted.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

What is it about money? Surely when you have an overwhelming amount, you won't feel any need to have more of it?

Maybe it gives him a purpose? Everyone needs one whether your'e poor or absolutely minted.
    Selling yourself to the highest bidder isn't a purpose. It's a moral vacuum. 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

True, but I thought he was frustrated, fed up and felt like his efforts counted for nothing after the result of our very good world Cup hosting pitch. 

We all need a purpose. I'm not suggesting soon as your rich, you should do nothing with your life....but maybe just put it to better use. 

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:

True, but I thought he was frustrated, fed up and felt like his efforts counted for nothing after the result of our very good world Cup hosting pitch. 

We all need a purpose. I'm not suggesting soon as your rich, you should do nothing with your life....but maybe just put it to better use. 

England didn't bid for 2022, only for 2018.......and their bid came 4th out of 4 behind Russia, Spain/Portugal and Netherlands/Belgium.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Whilst Qatar probably were the highest bidder trying to get Beckham to promote the Qatar World Cup tournament, I will counter by saying Beckham took the lowest offer to promote the Qatar World Cup tournament as I am not sure there was anyone else offering to pay him to promote the Qatar World Cup tournament. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    MrOneLung said:
    Dave2l said:

Whilst Qatar probably were the highest bidder trying to get Beckham to promote the Qatar World Cup tournament, I will counter by saying Beckham took the lowest offer to promote the Qatar World Cup tournament as I am not sure there was anyone else offering to pay him to promote the Qatar World Cup tournament. 
    Good one. 

Fact is Beckham sells himself to anyone that meets his paycheck. I'm sure you'd see him popping up in North Korea to shill their country if they met his valuation. 

The 'jack the lad' image is being found out. 

Remember this from back in the day too: 

"David Beckham has responded to claims on the front page of The Sun which suggested he’d involved himself in charity work with the intention of getting a knighthood.

According to so-called hacked emails from as far back as 2013 - acquired by Football Leaks, the sport equivalent of WikiLeaks - Beckham was reportedly furious to have missed out on a knighthood, despite his past work with Unicef."

• Options
    Beckham will advertise anything. Half of his social media output is a paid partnership with someone or another. Can't blame him if someone wants to pay him a load of money to spout a load guff about how wonderful Qatar is. Wonder what his dear old friend Elton thinks about it though.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    I do wonder why people go out their way to tell others they won’t be doing something.

Dont like it, don’t fucking watch it, nobody cares.

Cheers Roger.
    What?