Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    sepp blatter says wrong to award tournament to Qatar

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63554507

Surely he's getting this out there ahead of the FIFA documentary being released on Netflix tomorrow.

"not my fault honest, blame Platini"
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

He should know .....
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    all these associations can do one - just don’t go if you are that bothered. That will send the strongest message. 

If you are going, then you accept the laws and lifestyle of the country. 

I don’t go on holiday to Turkey then berate them for slowly turning into a dictatorship. 
    Are you going to watch the World cup out of interest? 

This is exactly the predicament i have, i will be watching and cheering on England, but feels a bit dirty considering but can't really preach too much as that would make me a hypocrite?
    of course I am going to watch it, love the world cup and not really bothered about the other stuff just like I dont care the Saudis own Newcastle. My only complaint is that I think World Cups should go to proper footballing nations which Qatar is not.

Look forward to people not watching the world cup games in USA due to their laws against women based on religious dogma
    Didn't realise women were illegal in the USA.

This is what we're dealing with in Qatar. Homosexuality is illegal full stop. 
    More the point is it right that the United States have the World Cup, when it has its current abortion rights?
    I would say abortion rights is completely different to opposing a group of people to exist in my eyes. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    all these associations can do one - just don’t go if you are that bothered. That will send the strongest message. 

If you are going, then you accept the laws and lifestyle of the country. 

I don’t go on holiday to Turkey then berate them for slowly turning into a dictatorship. 
    Are you going to watch the World cup out of interest? 

This is exactly the predicament i have, i will be watching and cheering on England, but feels a bit dirty considering but can't really preach too much as that would make me a hypocrite?
    of course I am going to watch it, love the world cup and not really bothered about the other stuff just like I dont care the Saudis own Newcastle. My only complaint is that I think World Cups should go to proper footballing nations which Qatar is not.

Look forward to people not watching the world cup games in USA due to their laws against women based on religious dogma
    Didn't realise women were illegal in the USA.

This is what we're dealing with in Qatar. Homosexuality is illegal full stop. 
    Can you not read ?
    Where did I say that ?
    Qatar think a group of people shouldn't exist and there is capacity in their law to kill them. 

I would say that's slightly more alarming than abortion laws in America. 
  • Options
    World Cup shouldn’t be there and quite honestly nor should any country that sees itself as liberal and supporting of minorities. Dreadful and corrupt place and dreadful decision to award it the tournament. I’ll do my level best not to watch it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lots of Qatari experts on here. How many of you have actually been and experienced the country, its laws and its people yourselves?
    Don’t need to visit to know about it’s laws and human rights abuses.
    Not what i asked is it?
  • Options
    Lots of Qatari experts on here. How many of you have actually been and experienced the country, its laws and its people yourselves?
    Not what i asked is it?
    You’ve never been to North Korea but I’m willing to bet you have a pretty good idea about it not being a nice place.
  • Options
    I’ve been twice
  • Options
    Is homosexuality being illegal fake news? 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    I’ve been twice
    Interested in your insights @Fumbluff

• Options
    Not what i asked is it?
    i've not been to the sun either but I know it's pretty hot there
    Once again, not what i asked.

You've got someone further up the thread saying all fans will be in danger, it wont be fun. That's just simply not true. I work with Qatari nationals, and ex-pats located in Doha on a daily basis and have been there myself. Even the 'you cant even show affection to a woman in public' is bollocks.
    they have taken that quote from the British Governments foreign travel advice for Qatar
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not what i asked is it?

You've got someone further up the thread saying all fans will be in danger, it wont be fun. That's just simply not true. I work with Qatari nationals, and ex-pats located in Doha on a daily basis and have been there myself. Even the 'you cant even show affection to a woman in public' is bollocks.
    they have taken that quote from the British Governments foreign travel advice for Qatar
    https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/qatar/local-laws-and-customs

Any intimacy in public between men and women (including between teenagers) can lead to arrest.
  • Options
    Not what i asked is it?

Homosexual fans are in danger if they dare to express themselves in public. I don't think anyone on this thread has denied that. 

"An ambassador for the World Cup in Qatar has described homosexuality as "damage in the mind".

Former Qatar midfielder Khalid Salman, one of the tiny Gulf state’s best-known players, made the incendiary remark in an interview with German television broadcaster ZDF which was immediately halted by an accompanying official.

Organisers have repeatedly said everyone is welcome in Qatar during the tournament but Salman said: “They have to accept our rules here. [Homosexuality] is haram (forbidden). You know what haram means?”

When asked why it was haram, Salman said: “I am not a strict Muslim but why is it haram? Because it is damage in the mind.”

The 60-year-old’s remarks emerged barely two weeks after Downing Street was forced to clarify comments made by James Cleverly, the foreign secretary, after he was accused of telling gay fans travelling to the World Cup to “be less queer”."

• Options
    It would have to be some pretty heavy intimacy to lead to arrest. I saw plenty of people in hotel bars being intimate. I saw women, drunk and dancing on tables at brunches just like they do in London. Its illegal to be homosexual in the UAE but I know a couple of gay blokes that live there just fine, I got the same vibe of Doha as I did Dubai, just on a smaller scale.

Maybe, but aren't there different rules in hotels, which aren't necessarily seen as "public" places?

I bet it would be a different story in the local Spoons.
    ;-)
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Surely he's getting this out there ahead of the FIFA documentary being released on Netflix tomorrow.

"not my fault honest, blame Platini"
    Well actually, (and I'm grateful to whoever on here recco'ed this) he was  already given plenty of chance to do this in The Men who sold the World Cup.  Basically he argues that FIFA is such a big organisation that he could not possibly control what the naughty national reps were up to. Utterly laughable. And this Netflix doc will have to go some to beat this one.. 
  • Options
    The Brewdog anti-Qatar campaign appears to backfiring massively (they are beginning to make a habit of these PR cock-ups)

It's now been revealed that only 3 months ago they signed a deal with a government-owned distributor to sell their beer out there for the tournament... 🤦🏻‍♂️
    They are complete jokers there and only do things for PR - they have a reputation now for a toxic work culture. They will also be showing the football in their pubs which completely defeats the purpose of what they are saying.

Not to mention the statement they put on Twitter was dreadful, full of terrible things about Qatar one moment then in the very next sentence they are putting a football pun in there. Dreadful company