Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

1262728293032»

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2022
    The difference is the Euro final was a sellout. This patently isnt. If they focused on looking after their customers rather than policing what they wear, it ought to be manageable, even for a tinpot gas field.
    You on the Staropramen again? 😉
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    In Doha, if you wanted to see a bit more of the local culture then you’d head to Souq Waqif. This was a marketplace area which looked completely different from the skyscrapers and malls that would occupy the part of town I was staying in. 

Lots of locals congregated here, along with football fans too. Some lovely restaurants and cafes. Couldn’t speak higher of the local cuisine.

Dis you see the camels at the souk. What a sight

• Options
    edited December 2022

BBC breaking the news rumoured last week, suggesting it may not be Quatar influencing the EU

European Parliament Vice President Eva Kaili has been arrested in an investigation into suspected bribery by a Gulf state.

Belgian prosecutors believe the unnamed country tried to influence the parliament with money or other gifts.

Local media suggested the Gulf state in question was Qatar - but a Qatari spokesperson said he was unaware of any investigation, and denied misconduct.

Investigators had suspected that a Gulf state had been influencing economic and political decisions of the parliament for several months, a spokesperson for the Belgian federal prosecutor said in a statement.

"This is done so by paying large sums of money or offering large gifts to third parties with a significant political and/or strategic position within the European Parliament," the statement said. 

The wider investigation is into criminal organisation, corruption, and money laundering. 

Belgian news outlets Knack and Le Soir named the Gulf state as Qatar based on information from "well-informed sources". The BBC has not verified these claims. . 

Corruption costs the EU economy between €179bn and €990bn a year, representing up to 6% of EU GDP in lost tax revenue and investment, according to a 2016 estimate cited in a document published by the European Parliament to mark the day. 

• Options

A security guard at the Lusail Stadium has died after falling from the World Cup venue in Qatar after Argentina's quarter-final win over the Netherlands.

Kenyan John Njau Kibue was initially said to be in a stable but critical condition - however, he died after three days in hospital.

"We want justice. We want to know what caused his death. They have never sent us a picture to show where he fell from or given us any other information," Ann Wanjiru (sister) said.

Kibue's family told CNN he moved to Qatar in November to work on a contract with a local security firm.

Two workers dying from falls in the space of a few weeks at a major tournament? Well I never. 
    • Options
      Despite all of the above, this world cup will be remembered for Messi winning the world cup. 
    • Options
      Despite all of the above, this world cup will be remembered for Messi winning the world cup. 
      Blood money was worth it. They even get their picture of Messi holding the trophy with their finger prints all over it. 
    • Options
      Blood money was worth it. They even get their picture of Messi holding the trophy with their finger prints all over it. 
      Which wasn’t a good move at all from a PR perspective. The feedback on that that I’ve seen has universally been “that was unnecessary / weird”.

So whilst the iconic memory of the World Cup will be Messi getting the prize (and rightfully so), that particular picture of him with the cloak will also serve as a reminder as to how this tournament was very different. Which in turn will conjure up the memories around the controversy.

Because believe it or not, football fans are not all complete simpletons who see every little thing in black and white without nuance. 
    • Options
      A dreadful choice of host. FIFA care only about money and will happily turn a blind eye to most issues.

Infantino up there with Blatter as a prize c***.
    • Options
      You boycotted it and didn’t watch of course ? Wouldn’t want to boost the viewing figures and justify all that sponsorship money paid by companies to FIFA would you? 
    • Sponsored links:

• Options
      edited December 2022
      MrOneLung said:
      You boycotted it and didn’t watch of course ? Wouldn’t want to boost the viewing figures and justify all that sponsorship money paid by companies to FIFA would you? 
      Same old whataboutisms from before the World Cup started. 

How about we don't go to a country next time that treats migrants like slaves and doesn't care about their welfare? Too much for FIFA to do, I know. 

Look forward to Saudi Arabia 2030, because the only thing that matters is money. 
    • Options
      edited December 2022
      Most people I know watching this World Cup, and those I have talked to or listened to, have been very careful to continually phrase everything in such a way that we don't forget the horrors and corruption that led up to this.

Overall, if cleaning up their image was the aim from the beginning, I think the Qataris did a very poor job of it.
    • Options
      MrOneLung said:
      You can save the world by not watching TV? By drinking Budweiser you are justifying Slavery? If you buy FIFA '23 you are against gay rights? Seems a little silly in my opinion. I expect the Qataris paid more than the sponsors.
    • Options
      Most people I know watching this World Cup, and those I have talked to or listened to, have been very careful to continually phrase everything in such a way that we don't forget the horrors and corruption that led up to this.

Overall, if cleaning up their image was the aim from the beginning, I think the Qataris did a very poor job of it.
      100%, it shone a massive light on what a horrific country Qatar is and that will never be forgotten. 
    • Options
      Amongst the horrible things they did, Salt Bae on the pitch celebrating with the World Cup FFS.
    • Options
      edited December 2022

Good article showing the realities of being gay at the world cup.