Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Bricklayer flying the plane because he identified as a pilot
    🥱
  • Options
    Qatar is now making even more billions from natural gas supplies as a result of the Russia/Ukraine conflict and boycotts on Russian gas exports .. 

Allowing rainbows is already paying off! And to think that I was sceptical that the country could make major political changes during a 2 week tournament.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63768983

Serbia are facing disciplinary proceedings against the team for putting up a flag in the dressing room of the Serbian flag portrayed over the top of an outline of Kosovo with the words "No Surrender" printed on it. Now if wearing an armband supporting inclusivity means you could be suspended and possibly kicked out of the world cup then what does this incitement of war get you eh FIFA?  

• Options
    Meanwhile,  to their surprise I told my mates Zoran (Serbian) and Marco (czech-Swiss) that I'd be Ok for our regular beers despite the England game being on. We went to a big micro-brewery, and the big open room was heaving. At the front a monitor switched to the England game. On about 15 minutes the stream froze. And stayed frozen. Marco had it on his iPad, but when the waitress came, we asked if she could get the monitor going on. And at that point it slowly dawned on us, that we were the only ones interested! Which tells you a lot because a lot of Czechs follow English footie closely, and a summer WC or Euros game would for sure have attracted a crowd.

Then Zoran mentioned that his brother in law Darko, is out in Doha, had had tickets for the Brazil-Serbia game , and was staying on one of those cruise ships. So I mentioned that I'd embarrassed myself by imagining the cruise ships being located off shore, whereas of course they were in harbour and you just march up the gangway. Nope, said Zoran, you were right first time, you have to get to and from them by shuttle boat. He said this was one of the reasons why Darko's journey back to the ship from the stadium took 4 hours. On the other hand he said the ship's full cruise facilities such as swimming pools and cinema are all freely available- so it's not such a bad idea overall. 
    Love the idea of a Serbian called Darko in Doha on a cruise ship and it's somehow related to a football match. 
  • Options
    Negative folk about Qatar - listen to the latest Undr The Cosh podcast..

• Options
    Meanwhile,  to their surprise I told my mates Zoran (Serbian) and Marco (czech-Swiss) that I'd be Ok for our regular beers despite the England game being on. We went to a big micro-brewery, and the big open room was heaving. At the front a monitor switched to the England game. On about 15 minutes the stream froze. And stayed frozen. Marco had it on his iPad, but when the waitress came, we asked if she could get the monitor going on. And at that point it slowly dawned on us, that we were the only ones interested! Which tells you a lot because a lot of Czechs follow English footie closely, and a summer WC or Euros game would for sure have attracted a crowd.

Then Zoran mentioned that his brother in law Darko, is out in Doha, had had tickets for the Brazil-Serbia game , and was staying on one of those cruise ships. So I mentioned that I'd embarrassed myself by imagining the cruise ships being located off shore, whereas of course they were in harbour and you just march up the gangway. Nope, said Zoran, you were right first time, you have to get to and from them by shuttle boat. He said this was one of the reasons why Darko's journey back to the ship from the stadium took 4 hours. On the other hand he said the ship's full cruise facilities such as swimming pools and cinema are all freely available- so it's not such a bad idea overall. 
    Love the idea of a Serbian called Darko in Doha on a cruise ship and it's somehow related to a football match. 
    There are 3 cruise ships out here, 2 of which i know have direct access by foot, no shuttle boat needed...not sure about the third one.
  • Options
    I assumed that Stadium 974 was named after the number of fatalities incurred in building it.
  • Options
    “Every year the health and safety standards on the sites are improving ,at least on our sites, the World Cup sites ‘
    perfect,  who gives a fuck about anyone else’s working conditions if it hasn’t got anything to do with the World Cup
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Negative folk about Qatar - listen to the latest Undr The Cosh podcast..

What have they got to say about the 400-500 estimated deaths? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Read this morning that the bank of Qatari Ultras behind the goal of their games in maroon, were all flown in from Lebanon (and a few Egyptians). About 1,500 of them. 

Did a test event in Beirut in April with some Galatasarry Capos to direct them, then flown in in mid-October to rehearse and given free accommodation, food, expenses, tickets etc

when i saw that group of 'ultras' in the first game i thought no way are they locals. 
  • Options
    “Every year the health and safety standards on the sites are improving ,at least on our sites, the World Cup sites ‘
    perfect,  who gives a fuck about anyone else’s working conditions if it hasn’t got anything to do with the World Cup
    think of all those massive hotels and resorts that people stay in over there. Wonder how the working conditions were when they were being built. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    A bit like the 3 number anyway, the 400-500 figure is only one that the Qatar government are willing to accept. 

The true number again will still be far higher. 
  • Options

There are 3 cruise ships out here, 2 of which i know have direct access by foot, no shuttle boat needed...not sure about the third one.
    I've been promised photos in due course. But neither of them would make such a thing up, and obviously Darko is pro this thing enough to spend his own money on it. Had no problems getting tickets apparently, and said they were very good seats - close enough, he said, to appreciate how terrifyingly quick the Brazilians were.
  • Options

I've been promised photos in due course. But neither of them would make such a thing up, and obviously Darko is pro this thing enough to spend his own money on it. Had no problems getting tickets apparently, and said they were very good seats - close enough, he said, to appreciate how terrifyingly quick the Brazilians were.
    Not implying they are lying at all, i'm just thinking about the original plan was for 2 ships, and a third was added more recently.
  • Options

Not implying they are lying at all, i'm just thinking about the original plan was for 2 ships, and a third was added more recently.
    No worries, I was puzzled myself because I have seen TV footage of one of the ships moored in the harbour. I’m curious to see how you get on and off one of these big liners from a small shuttle boat
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Read this morning that the bank of Qatari Ultras behind the goal of their games in maroon, were all flown in from Lebanon (and a few Egyptians). About 1,500 of them. 

Did a test event in Beirut in April with some Galatasarry Capos to direct them, then flown in in mid-October to rehearse and given free accommodation, food, expenses, tickets etc

when i saw that group of 'ultras' in the first game i thought no way are they locals. 
    From what I saw, they were all dressed in cheap purple cotton t-shirts that just had "QATAR" printed on the front. That was the biggest giveaway that they'd just shipped a load of people in and given them all a cheap t-shirt to wear.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So tempted to quote you Tom but I won’t! What a fantastic insight. Thank you.
  • Options
    Promote worthy post there Tom, thanks for taking the time.
  • Options
    Ledge Tom, Glad you enjoyed your trip mate.
  • Options
    Brilliant post Tom, loved reading that. Sounds a trip of a lifetime 
  • Options
    Great write up Tom.

But I think the burning question I think we're all dying to know the answer to is, did you get lucky?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Off_it said:
    Great write up Tom.

But I think the burning question I think we're all dying to know the answer to is, did you get lucky?
    Will wait til I’m home before I respond to that ;)

I did get very lucky in terms of matches I got to see though. Argentina/Saudi Arabia was the highlight.
  • Options
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/england-fan-strip-search-qatar-28614230

Did Tango got topless during the game? Would be a shame if he had to spend time in an Arab cell. 😉

• Options
    Did you get lost here, trying to find your way around this Stadium?

Or was it the one stadium you didnt go to ;)

• Options
    He couldn’t locate the small North Stand :-)
  • Options
    Sounds like a great experience, thanks for sharing that.