Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    Seems the Qataris don’t like Danish TV filming in a public place.
    Images on Twitter of a journalist being filmed on camera at night (can see hardly anything in the background),broadcasting live to Danish TV, a golf cart full of Qatari men get out & try to stop the filming. Say they need a permit & if they don’t stop they’ll break the camera.
    The Danish presenter was very calm. Showed them his accreditation, which is all he needs to film himself there & reminded them, he was invited here by them.

Perhaps it’s the infamous Danish mafia?
  • Options
    Images on Twitter of a journalist being filmed on camera at night (can see hardly anything in the background),broadcasting live to Danish TV, a golf cart full of Qatari men get out & try to stop the filming. Say they need a permit & if they don’t stop they’ll break the camera.
    The Danish presenter was very calm. Showed them his accreditation, which is all he needs to film himself there & reminded them, he was invited here by them.

Or Danish bacon 🥓 
  • Options

Just saw this.  The whole thing looks like a complete farce in a completely plastic part of the world.  They should stick to extravagant shopping malls.  
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Just saw this.  The whole thing looks like a complete farce in a completely plastic part of the world.  They should stick to extravagant shopping malls.  
    They got an official apology though.
    So alls grand 🙄😂😂
  • Options
    An American reporter finds themselves in trouble with Qatari security for taking pictures.
  • Options
    Just seen a piece on BBC2 Newsnight about Iranians planning to go to the WC to protest at matches about their government's repression of free speech and civil rights.  One hope expressed was that  English supporters and players would join in with the protests.  Peter Reid (who isn't someone I would expect to be in favour) wasn't altogether against the idea.  A specific Iranian request was for English fans to join Iranian ones in booing the Iranian national anthem.  Is that justified in the circumstances?  Discuss....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Personally I’ve no real truck with any of it other than the clear standards inefficiencies that have led to so many needless deaths in stadium construction. That to me is the only thing people should be kicking off with Qatar.

All ire for everything else should be directed at FIFA for selecting them. The heat, homosexuality, alcohol and human rights issues were always going to be contentious and should have ruled them out from the get go. 

Qatar are perfectly right to expect visitors to their country to abide with the rules of their land. We would expect the same here. Whether we agree with their rules or not is a separate argument but irrelevant in this case. If you are are against them, don’t go. 
    I would be interested to see the actual figure of people that died in the stadium build.

Shame the Qatar government will never release those numbers truthfully. 

They probably don't know the number and don't care. 
    So you are just going to believe what’s in the British press? And publish article that they know will sell, and that people are against the World Cup being in Qatar.

Unfortunately people have lost there lives and it’s very sad. But people die in building sites, roads and construction all around the world. For whatever reason, people seem to think it’s 1000s that have lost their lives building stadiums, I would be extremely surprised.

Most of the deaths were due to infrastructure built for the world cup than the actual stadiums which is a far larger project. I've worked in construction in the UK for 15 years and have only experienced one death during that time on one of my jobs, which was due to a non-work related suicide. I've worked with people who have worked in construction in the Middle East and their experience is vastly different. 
    This I agree with - and the article in The Guardian is a bit mis-leading, if I remember rightly it was across the Middle East on a number of projects over a 15 year period. Not just the World Cup. 

As you can sense, I am getting a bit frustrated by only half the story being told or people actually knowing the full story.

The press will only tell you what you want to hear, and what ever sells the stories or to create an agenda.
    wrong again.

"More than 6,500 migrant workers from India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka have died in Qatar since it won the right to host the World Cup 10 years ago, the Guardian can reveal.

The total death toll is significantly higher, as these figures do not include deaths from a number of countries which send large numbers of workers to Qatar, including the Philippines and Kenya. Deaths that occurred in the final months of 2020 are also not included."

And all killed directly as a result of construction? Please this article as it is a while since I would have read it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/feb/23/revealed-migrant-worker-deaths-qatar-fifa-world-cup-2022

I like how you've slipped that word directly in there to give yourself a bit of wiggle room. 

If 6,500+ working age migrant workers all drop dead in a 10-year span, that is an outrage regardless of how or why it's happened. 

Would you consider suicide or a heart attack at home directly as a result from their occupation? Because Qatar wouldn't. 
    No it would depend? The way the Covid deaths were being registered! So depends on what side of the fence you sit.

not sure we will ever know the full picture..  650 a year out of 10,000s deaths that could consist of anything from heart attack, suicide, underlining medical conditions, hit by bus, murder on the camp sits or at work, what ever you want to call it.. 

Would be interested to know how many people in U.K. have died from work relented illness, suicide or on site over same period, would be interested to know.

how many road workers are killed a year? How many rail workers?
    Head in the sand time me thinks. 

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/les-decodeurs/article/2022/11/15/world-cup-2022-the-difficulty-with-estimating-the-number-of-deaths-on-qatar-construction-sites_6004375_8.html

"According to the data, 12,412 immigrant men died in Qatar between 2011 and 2020, nearly half of whom (5,935) were between 20 and 50 years old, which is relatively young."

"In a study published in July 2019 in the medical journal Cardiology, an international team of researchers noted a strong correlation between temperatures and cardiovascular events recorded among Nepalese migrant workers in Qatar. "The pronounced mortality from cardiovascular events during hot seasons is most likely due to intense heat stress," said the researchers, who estimated that about 35% of fatal cardiac arrests could have been prevented by better protecting workers from heat."
    It is a great tragedy if anyone loses their life while going about their work. 

• Options
    Iranian protesters at the World Cup in Qatar?

Sponsored by Coca-Cola, Nike and the CIA. 

The beauty of sport. 
  • Options
    Sevensix said:
    Just seen a piece on BBC2 Newsnight about Iranians planning to go to the WC to protest at matches about their government's repression of free speech and civil rights.  One hope expressed was that  English supporters and players would join in with the protests.  Peter Reid (who isn't someone I would expect to be in favour) wasn't altogether against the idea.  A specific Iranian request was for English fans to join Iranian ones in booing the Iranian national anthem.  Is that justified in the circumstances?  Discuss....
    Doubt the fans going there are the type to go on protests. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Sevensix said:
    Doubt the fans going there are the type to go on protests. 
    Unless it is about not being allowed to drink in the town square.  Then it's plastic chair time.
  • Options
    They have publicly apologised to him. Fair play. BBC guy reporting that there seems to be genuine confusion among “security” staff on the ground about what is and isn’t OK.They (or at least progressive elements within the heirachy)  are genuinely struggling to meet the rest of the world half way on what’s reasonable to allow. 

I’m curious now to hear more from that al- Thahawi guy who is prominent in the Netflix doc. I’d like to think he’s one of the “progressives” who would have argued for that public apology. Wouldn’t bet any more than my current holding of crypto on it, though😂
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    all these associations can do one - just don’t go if you are that bothered. That will send the strongest message. 

If you are going, then you accept the laws and lifestyle of the country. 

I don’t go on holiday to Turkey then berate them for slowly turning into a dictatorship. 
    Are you going to watch the World cup out of interest? 

This is exactly the predicament i have, i will be watching and cheering on England, but feels a bit dirty considering but can't really preach too much as that would make me a hypocrite?
    of course I am going to watch it, love the world cup and not really bothered about the other stuff just like I dont care the Saudis own Newcastle. My only complaint is that I think World Cups should go to proper footballing nations which Qatar is not.

Look forward to people not watching the world cup games in USA due to their laws against women based on religious dogma
    Hopefully, Roe will be back on the statute books by 2026. 
  • Options
    So an authentic experience at this pop up World Cup 
  • Options

How cringe is that Doha Dad's flag?
  • Options
    They have publicly apologised to him. Fair play. BBC guy reporting that there seems to be genuine confusion among “security” staff on the ground about what is and isn’t OK.They (or at least progressive elements within the heirachy)  are genuinely struggling to meet the rest of the world half way on what’s reasonable to allow. 

I’m curious now to hear more from that al- Thahawi guy who is prominent in the Netflix doc. I’d like to think he’s one of the “progressives” who would have argued for that public apology. Wouldn’t bet any more than my current holding of crypto on it, though😂
    This seems to point towards a show being put in for the visitors, rather than a country that is progressing. I can't help but feel it will be business as usual when the camera crews go home.   
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@QatarNapsy is this just at the fan park?

I assume people will still be able to get a drink during the day in hotel bars?
  • Options

First I heard about the timing of the Fanzone, I know it closes at 1am.. Has anyone seen the acts that are set to perform and the size of the screen and stage yet? It is impressive.. 
  • Options

Thought that was Philip Schofield in the picture then realised the bloke was queuing.
  • Options
    This is just unnecessarily weird. They are expecting 1.2m fans into Doha, so all these fake ones aren't needed. Funny tho.
  • Options

To add to this - they haven't ramped up the price of beer because of the World Cup, it is the same price as normal, but the exchange rate has made it more expensive for travelling fans.

Same as getting a beer here, the price has hardly change in the 8 years I have been here, it has always been 50AED a pint and still is.. But if I look at the UK, it was something like 3.50 when I left, now it is nearly 6quid
  • Options
    Sevensix said:
    Tricky one for the in-house self appointed arbiters 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    There are happy hours in bars all over Doha that can be booked for daytime drinking. 

I’m going to be in ‘The Red Lion’ prior to England/USA. 

As for the ‘fake’ fans clips. Yeah, it’s a bit cringe but all major tournaments have their own quirky (often corporate) things about them that we wouldn’t necessarily expect down The Valley or in club football. 

There are a lot of fans travelling over from India who will be adopting teams to support. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    There are happy hours in bars all over Doha that can be booked for daytime drinking. 

Thanks for the update Tom. Which hotel?
  • Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    cafctom said:

Thanks for the update Tom. Which hotel?
    I’m staying in an apartment in a block near the West Bay - near the FanZone I think.