Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    I'm guessing (would be better if they were to explain themselves) why they're reporting is because if they didn't someone else would take the role and not mention the non football issues. Would be interesting to see if they donate their fee to a human rights charity!

No idea why they aren't reporting from a UK studio, it's not like it makes the show better for the viewer. Complete guess again but probably some contractual obligation due to having the world cup TV rights? 

Claims that migrant workers in the UK experienced similar conditions to those in Qatar is very wide of the mark. I think you're comparing human trafficking to state sponsored construction projects.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    I don’t understand Lineker and Alex Scott’s stance earlier.  For me it’s very #metoo

a couple of years ago, a bunch of Google employees walked out of the Google offices for 5 minutes in protest behind the #metoo movement.  5 minutes protest but walk back into their 6 figure jobs after their uprising.

You can’t have it both ways, and I heard Alex Scott’s rationale for being out there.  “I could’ve stayed at home etc etc”.

Why didn’t she?  

I’m completely on the same side as both of them re; their opinions, but it’s a bit incredulous they can take money from the bbc, a lot of money, and at the same time preach the moral high ground 
    So they shouldn’t work?
    If they feel that strongly about it then no.  We all have our beliefs and I don’t doubt that if I peeled my income back far enough, the company I work for has clients I don’t care for.  However, as much as I agree with both their opinions, the front of each of them to take the stance that they have, yet still accept a very healthy wage is just wrong.  If they feel that strongly about it, they just shouldn’t be there 
    For me this falls into the 'if you believe we should allow refugees into this country, how many are you putting up in your house?' line of argument. I don't think just because you hold a belief that you're morally obliged to carry it out to it's logical extreme.

But frequently in this country you're not allowed to speak up for or against anything unless you're sacrifice yourself like Joan of Arc.

I've got no problem with people going to Qatar to be do their jobs, e.g. Linekar, Wright. They're job is to report on the football, I don't see what staying home would do. 

Obviously what Beckham is doing is a lot different.
    I don’t have an issue with their beliefs.  I very much share them.  It’s disingenuous for me on the basis that they will give us their political beliefs and share how morally wrong it is all out there, and then, back to the football.  

If they care that much about it, why don’t they choose to host a podcast, put out a joint statement outside of their bbc role on their own time.  

I work for a company that have clients in the oil & gas sector.  Imagine me turning up on their premises and telling them I object to fossil fuels, but I’m still happy for them to pay my company so I can get paid.  Slightly different example, but same principles.  I think people who have principles such as the ones they have are admirable, but they are taking the piss thinking they can indulge in the football and the place, eat the food, stay in the accommodation and tell us it’s morally wrong.  

Arthur Scargill watch out, we’ve got some real freedom fighters in Lineker and Scott 
  • Options
    Hands up if you're against the World Cup being hosted in Qatar but have held your nose and holidayed in Dubai.
    No chance. I'd rather spend a week in Margate in a B&B also occupied by sets of Spanners.

Well, on reflection maybe the second part is a stretch and I'd try to relocate to Herne Bay  ;)
    Good on you. I'm of the same train of thought. I also quite like Herne Bay  :)
  • Options
    I'm guessing (would be better if they were to explain themselves) why they're reporting is because if they didn't someone else would take the role and not mention the non football issues. Would be interesting to see if they donate their fee to a human rights charity!

No idea why they aren't reporting from a UK studio, it's not like it makes the show better for the viewer. Complete guess again but probably some contractual obligation due to having the world cup TV rights? 

Claims that migrant workers in the UK experienced similar conditions to those in Qatar is very wide of the mark. I think you're comparing human trafficking to state sponsored construction projects.
    All I'd say regarding the first bit is that I don't reckon there's a person watching this Word Cup who isn't fully aware of what went on and still goes on, in Qatar among other countries, but at point of actually tuning in to watch the football, the presenters and pundits would do well to do what they're well paid and leave the current affairs to news reporters. Especially when they can sometimes come over a bit crass and definitely hypocritical.

Regarding location; Yeah it makes sense that it could be contractual, but at the point of writing up contracts, surely these broadcasting companies could've had it written in, that they aren't going to be carting people unnecessarily around the world? Because if they did, I reckon they'd look a bit stupid spending £millions on documentaries about global warming and the causes of it, at the same time. 🤷‍♂️

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Cowardly. 

Don't want to see rainbow corner flags or laces as they've folded when it actually matters and is needed. 

Doing it in England is little more than unnecessary virtue signalling if you're not gonna stand up when it matters.

Spineless FA
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Break up FIFA.
    The time to do it was when Blatter was ousted

Its staggering, and arrogant that they haven't learnt a thing from that scandal 
  • Options
    I assume Lineker et al have contracts with the BBC which require them to cover the World Cup etc. That said, I also assume the contracts were negotiated after Qatar was awarded the WC.
  • Options
    At this point I’m determined not to watch a single match but it’s going to be hard. 
    Ditto. One down. Lots to go. 

My problem is less with Qatar and more with FIFA.  
  • Options
    Sooner a week in the New Forrest than Dubai and basically wouldn't be fussed if I never left these shores ever again, but I'm watch as much of the World Cup as possible, save todays game though as I'm working.

Each to their own........ 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

All I'd say regarding the first bit is that I don't reckon there's a person watching this Word Cup who isn't fully aware of what went on and still goes on, in Qatar among other countries, but at point of actually tuning in to watch the football, 

I think this is frightfully naive. I've got friends who have heard the headlines but don't pay much attention to the news and don't truly understand any of it. I was listening to the Guardian Football Weekly the other day and the South America correspondent insisted it's not remotely a discussion point there (in Uruguay I think, might have been Argentina). I think you're in danger of assuming your echo chamber is not as remote as it is. 

We are all WC fans. We have been for many, many years. FIFA have put us all in a shitty position. The fans, the press, the broadcasters. We all want to enjoy the show. It's not our fault that FIFA have picked a country that breaks its own moral code. We have to deal with it as best we can. The BBC are choosing to do that by presenting the controversial background which I think is commendable. I've no idea if ITV have the balls to do that too. I doubt it to be honest. But credit to them if they do. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    I don’t understand Lineker and Alex Scott’s stance earlier.  For me it’s very #metoo

a couple of years ago, a bunch of Google employees walked out of the Google offices for 5 minutes in protest behind the #metoo movement.  5 minutes protest but walk back into their 6 figure jobs after their uprising.

You can’t have it both ways, and I heard Alex Scott’s rationale for being out there.  “I could’ve stayed at home etc etc”.

Why didn’t she?  

I’m completely on the same side as both of them re; their opinions, but it’s a bit incredulous they can take money from the bbc, a lot of money, and at the same time preach the moral high ground 
    I'm normally a big fan of the BBC but I had to switch off the coverage today. 

Instead of us trying to lecture Qatar on what it should be doing better we could perhaps look a bit closer to home and solve our own issues first. 

Can't we do both at the same time?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

All I'd say regarding the first bit is that I don't reckon there's a person watching this Word Cup who isn't fully aware of what went on and still goes on, in Qatar among other countries, but at point of actually tuning in to watch the football, the presenters and pundits would do well to do what they're well paid and leave the current affairs to news reporters. Especially when they can sometimes come over a bit crass and definitely hypocritical.

Regarding location; Yeah it makes sense that it could be contractual, but at the point of writing up contracts, surely these broadcasting companies could've had it written in, that they aren't going to be carting people unnecessarily around the world? Because if they did, I reckon they'd look a bit stupid spending £millions on documentaries about global warming and the causes of it, at the same time. 🤷‍♂️

Again it's a guess, but when their tendering world cup bids one of the appeals of winning it is to have media from around the world visiting. Qatar are using the world cup to advertise the country to the world.
  • Options
    Utterly and predictably pathetic from the FA - an image of Kane being booked would've echoed around the world.  
    Exactly. Makes the whole we stand up against hodophobia look nothing more than lip service. 

Lecturing blokes from Bolton and bexleyheath each year with flags and laces, the vast vast majority of whom won't be homophobic whilst bottling it when  it comes to making a protest against a regime in which it's literally deemed criminal.

Fucking jellyfish
    Standing up against a fear of travel seems a bit of an odd one to me, mate  ;)
  • Options
    Utterly and predictably pathetic from the FA - an image of Kane being booked would've echoed around the world.  
    Exactly. Makes the whole we stand up against hodophobia look nothing more than lip service. 

Lecturing blokes from Bolton and bexleyheath each year with flags and laces, the vast vast majority of whom won't be homophobic whilst bottling it when  it comes to making a protest against a regime in which it's literally deemed criminal.

Fucking jellyfish
    Standing up against a fear of travel seems a bit of an odd one to me, mate  ;)

Ha ha! Did think wtf is that in my autospell...thought it was an irrational fear of brickie's mates at first!
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Again it's a guess, but when their tendering world cup bids one of the appeals of winning it is to have media from around the world visiting. Qatar are using the world cup to advertise the country to the world.
    Maybe the worldwide media could've said something like; as long as thousands of people don't die as a direct result of you being awarded the Finals and you stop locking up gay people, we'll come along and expose you to the world as a nice(ish) place to come and live or just visit.

Nb - Firm believer in their country, their rules but, imo, that doesn't mean that they should get the same worldwide coverage as previous hosting nations before.

• Options
    Exactly - the best message that could have gone out
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    FIFA should have been abandoned when Sepp blatter was thrown out and a better organisation constructed. Judging by that Infantino speech on saturday, they still regard themselves as looking down on the rest of the planet from some high mountain of achievement, cheerfully ignoring all the FIFA officilas who are doing time as a result of the corruption that took place there. And lets not forget Sepp Blatter claiming that the Guardian article about migrant workers dying in Qatar was just English jealousy that we didn't get a World Cup awarded. So Infantino feels like a migrant worker eh? Big of him, but Europe is being hypocritical about a World Cup that Qatar bought and paid for? Meet the new boss.

And the FA along with Holland, Wales and Germany have backed down on the One Love armband. Squirmingly pathetic. FIFA snap their fingers and everyone backs down. That was a chance for the bigger nations to at least join together and face FIFA down.