Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    all these associations can do one - just don’t go if you are that bothered. That will send the strongest message. 

If you are going, then you accept the laws and lifestyle of the country. 

I don’t go on holiday to Turkey then berate them for slowly turning into a dictatorship. 

all these associations can do one - just don’t go if you are that bothered. That will send the strongest message. 

I don’t go on holiday to Turkey then berate them for slowly turning into a dictatorship. 

I agree entirely. Imposing Western values on an Islamic country is ridiculous and dare I say it, the height of arrogance. It's quite ironic that revisionists who say the Christian missionaries of centuries ago were so terrible for sharing the gospel to indigenous tribes should then say that atheist "values" should be forced on non Western countries. 

When in Rome ... 

Anyone who can't see that a country (like UK) that relentlessly promotes both LGBTQI rights/actions AND Islam is heading for huge conflict is a complete idiot. To my mind the Qatar world cup highlights this coming cultural conflict perfectly. As much as I believe that every person with ssa should be treated with absolute respect and dignity I also agree that a country that retains its faith cannot be told to change that faith and laws based on that faith because foreign atheists with no such values say so. I hope we have seen the last of the deaths of workers associated with this enterprise and that LGBT fans can enjoy the football they go to see in Qatar and all fans can respect the laws of the land they are visiting. 

But that's exactly what we did - the anti-gay laws in a lot of the Middle East were imposed by the West, mainly us I believe, when we used to run the area.

Really? Can you prove this? In the catechism of The Church it stresses that SSA persons should be treated with dignity and respect at all times. In my discussions with Sunni Muslims they say "Mohammed teaches that gays should face death penalty". That is a direct Koranic teaching of Islam and in the Hadiths.  I know we in The West want to destroy ourselves and convince ourselves that we are the most evil people that ever lived but it simply isn't true. We are in for a m a s s I v e shock if we continue this idiocy a moment longer. 

:D brilliant!  
    I don't have the article to hand and I haven't done any research to confirm it so, no, I can't prove it but I read it in a reputable newspaper.  Just because the Koran says 'death to homosexuals' doesn't mean a Muslim country has to have had it enshrined in its laws from the off so it's not unreasonable for this to have happened.

Of course, once it's on the statutes it's going to be difficult to remove seeing as the holy book says it should be so.
    I did do some research. Qatar was never a colony of Britain, just a protectorate (between 1916 and 1971). Britain had control over foreign and defence policy but had nothing to do with domestic law. Qatar has Sharia law and has since at least 1916 (previously part of the Ottoman Empire). Sharia requires capital punishment for homosexuality but in practice that doesn't happen in Qatar. Instead it is punishable with up to three years in prison and sometimes lashes
  • Options
    Great series on YouTube which has previously mocked the Champions League, but is now covering the World Cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VubjtnRmhc
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Off_it said:
    If there was any doubt what a twat Infantino is he's proving it at the Press Conference. Plenty of offensive and out of touch comments.
    Just seen a clip. Unbelievable. Europeans should be apologising for the next 3,000 years over what they have been doing for the past 3,000 years? Really?

I dunno about you lot, but I wasn't alive 3,000 years ago and so have absolutely nothing to apologise for . 

FIFA on the other hand - an organisation based in the most secretive of European countries, coincidence? - have plenty to be apologising for. The sanctimonious c***!
    The excuses people are making for this world cup are very tiresome. 
    We don’t have to make excuses. 
    You can disagree with the decision to hold it there, whilst looking forward to the tournament.  I for one can’t wait for first game tomorrow. 
    You're not the president of FIFA. 🤨
    Sorry, when you said ‘people’ I thought you meant ‘people’ 
  • Options
    Apology accepted.
  • Options

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Off_it said:
    If there was any doubt what a twat Infantino is he's proving it at the Press Conference. Plenty of offensive and out of touch comments.
    Just seen a clip. Unbelievable. Europeans should be apologising for the next 3,000 years over what they have been doing for the past 3,000 years? Really?

I dunno about you lot, but I wasn't alive 3,000 years ago and so have absolutely nothing to apologise for . 

FIFA on the other hand - an organisation based in the most secretive of European countries, coincidence? - have plenty to be apologising for. The sanctimonious c***!
    The excuses people are making for this world cup are very tiresome. 
    We don’t have to make excuses. 
    You can disagree with the decision to hold it there, whilst looking forward to the tournament.  I for one can’t wait for first game tomorrow. 
    I think you have to wait for it.  They aren't going to start it early just for you.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    MrOneLung said:

I agree entirely. Imposing Western values on an Islamic country is ridiculous and dare I say it, the height of arrogance. It's quite ironic that revisionists who say the Christian missionaries of centuries ago were so terrible for sharing the gospel to indigenous tribes should then say that atheist "values" should be forced on non Western countries. 

When in Rome ... 

Anyone who can't see that a country (like UK) that relentlessly promotes both LGBTQI rights/actions AND Islam is heading for huge conflict is a complete idiot. To my mind the Qatar world cup highlights this coming cultural conflict perfectly. As much as I believe that every person with ssa should be treated with absolute respect and dignity I also agree that a country that retains its faith cannot be told to change that faith and laws based on that faith because foreign atheists with no such values say so. I hope we have seen the last of the deaths of workers associated with this enterprise and that LGBT fans can enjoy the football they go to see in Qatar and all fans can respect the laws of the land they are visiting. 

But that's exactly what we did - the anti-gay laws in a lot of the Middle East were imposed by the West, mainly us I believe, when we used to run the area.

Really? Can you prove this? In the catechism of The Church it stresses that SSA persons should be treated with dignity and respect at all times. In my discussions with Sunni Muslims they say "Mohammed teaches that gays should face death penalty". That is a direct Koranic teaching of Islam and in the Hadiths.  I know we in The West want to destroy ourselves and convince ourselves that we are the most evil people that ever lived but it simply isn't true. We are in for a m a s s I v e shock if we continue this idiocy a moment longer. 

I don't have the article to hand and I haven't done any research to confirm it so, no, I can't prove it but I read it in a reputable newspaper.  Just because the Koran says 'death to homosexuals' doesn't mean a Muslim country has to have had it enshrined in its laws from the off so it's not unreasonable for this to have happened.

Of course, once it's on the statutes it's going to be difficult to remove seeing as the holy book says it should be so.
    I did do some research. Qatar was never a colony of Britain, just a protectorate (between 1916 and 1971). Britain had control over foreign and defence policy but had nothing to do with domestic law. Qatar has Sharia law and has since at least 1916 (previously part of the Ottoman Empire). Sharia requires capital punishment for homosexuality but in practice that doesn't happen in Qatar. Instead it is punishable with up to three years in prison and sometimes lashes
    I said "a lot of the Middle East".  The article I read didn't mention Qatar particularly so I didn't either.
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Comment from the Telegraph...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Funny how people wanting a beer at the football has caused a general attack on the drinking culture in the West (UK). The very culture that does strive, and has done for a while, for general equality for everyone, regardless of how many beers we like at the football or at the weekend

• Options
    Looking forward to a WC at North Korea or Iran next with Infantino getting a Nobel peace prize for his engagement efforts.

Fifa as always doing a great job.

• Options
    What time does this shit show start today?
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    4pm
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    16:00 mate

England 13:00 tomorrow

ENG ER LAND ENG ER LAND ENG ER LAND 🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Oh
  • Options
    When do you arrive @cafctom and how long you out there for?

Apart from @Chris_from_Sidcup @DubaiCAFC and @QatarNapsy is anyone else going out there? 

I'm not going unfortunately, although I do have a conditional ticket and flight for the final. Not holding out too much hope though!

Ten or so of our England lot are going out, including five Charlton fans, on various trips but generally for the last two group games and early knockouts
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I mean it was always going to be nuts in Qatar, but Italia ‘90 at $9.4BN seems incredibly high!
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Sir Dave Powell, you're wrong about that reference.

Halal meat is served in this country and its not a problem. We don't have a particular limit on it and over here, it is not frowned upon to serve it to religious folk. 

Alcohol is and was a problem for the Qataris long before the world Cup.

Alcohol changes people's behaviour and there can be consequences. They don't like it. 

Halal meat is just food.

We all know the alcohol ban is stupid boring and wrong,  but I don't see any point in making incorrect comparisons. 

They were aware that Budwieser was a major sponsor the WC for nearly 25 years when they bid for it. Last week they supposedly had no problem with the arrangements as they stood.

They are taking the piss, so I see no problem with taking the piss out of them. 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    MrOneLung said:

When in Rome ... 

• Options
    This new ruling could result in thousands of fans drinking in designated fan zones away from the stadiums then tens of thousands turning up minutes before kick off. Recipe for disaster imo
    Most of the stadiums only hold 40,000 and there is huge open space around each of them. 

Once you take out the corporate etc, there won’t be ‘tens of thousands’ going to the ground all at once. In fact what was the England fan allocation for each game? 5-10k?

Not everyone that goes is a raging bald headed piss head. South Korea doesn’t have a big drinking culture and their stadiums where bigger. No problems whatsoever.
    They have a massive drinking culture, have you been there?
    As do the Japanese, and right through society. 
    No surprises there, Japanese beer is amazing!
    So is the whisky 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Halal meat is served in this country and its not a problem. We don't have a particular limit on it and over here, it is not frowned upon to serve it to religious folk. 

Alcohol changes people's behaviour and there can be consequences. They don't like it. 

Halal meat is just food.

We all know the alcohol ban is stupid boring and wrong,  but I don't see any point in making incorrect comparisons. 

They were aware that Budwieser was a major sponsor the WC for nearly 25 years when they bid for it. Last week they supposedly had no problem with the arrangements as they stood.

You don't have to be drunk or beered up to enjoy a football match.

Sure, the two things work well together, but those in attendance will be saving a fortune without even realising it, specially considering the expected prices of the drinks served within the stadiums.

Also, Qataris are losing potential large sums of money from not selling alcohol. 

Their stubbornness shot themselves in the foot
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Halal meat is just food.

Sure, the two things work well together, but those in attendance will be saving a fortune without even realising it, specially considering the expected prices of the drinks served within the stadiums.

Also, Qataris are losing potential large sums of money from not selling alcohol. 

You have to totally blind drunk to enjoy a Charlton game.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Halal meat is just food.

I think the Qatari’s will be alright…
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Halal meat is just food.

Surely at least a few Qatar pimp daddies would be getting money from stadium alcohol sale volume 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    se9addick said:
    Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Halal meat is just food.

Surely at least a few Qatar pimp daddies would be getting money from stadium alcohol sale volume 
    Maybe, but I’m guessing FIFA take an enormous majority of it.