Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    Curious if FIFA can find a more ridiculous place to host the World Cup going forward. The whole thing is laughable and wrong on so many levels.

Obviously money had nothing to do with the choice.
     Are the martians putting in a bid? I'll compromise and have it on the moon. About time a proper sport was played there instead of golf. 
    I hear matches there lack a bit of atmosphere.
    Nice
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I’m part of the England supporters club Facebook group, and a Qatar based England fan has done a brilliant job of keeping people informed of the goings on in Doha - mostly related to things you can expect once you get out there - activities, transport, customs etc. 

He’s put together a list of 69 different outlets in downtown Doha that serve alcohol to fans (all at fairly reasonable prices, happy hour deals etc). With the exchange rate you’re maybe looking at London prices for a beer or slightly higher in a lot of places. The Fan Zone is where it’s most expensive.

Again, shame to see the mainstream media haven’t been willing to add this sort of balance to their stories today saying it’s a ‘dry tournament’ and that ‘alcohol has been completely banned’ etc. 

The only real change (and I can understand it’s an inconvenient one for some) is that you can’t drink right next door to the stadium. 
    That is exactly what they are reporting though. You just don't like the bad press that Qatar is rightly getting for making decisions like this 2 days before the event takes place. 
    Actually - I just prefer the media to report the full facts rather than reporting inflated versions of it, without any element of balance. Maybe naive of me to expect that though. 
  • Options
    They don't sell alcohol at any European championships either only that 0.01 crap . The timing is poor but not at all surprising. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    surely people who want to drink are just going to drink before and after the game. Not sure majority of fans who are going out there are that bothered not being able to drink for the two hours of the Game. 

More embarrassing for Budweiser if anything. Would love them to just not pay their next instalment. 
  • Options
    The more this world cup descends into the shitfest it's turning out to be, the less interest I have. I will probably watch the England games but that's all.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    all these associations can do one - just don’t go if you are that bothered. That will send the strongest message. 

If you are going, then you accept the laws and lifestyle of the country. 

I don’t go on holiday to Turkey then berate them for slowly turning into a dictatorship. 

all these associations can do one - just don’t go if you are that bothered. That will send the strongest message. 

I don’t go on holiday to Turkey then berate them for slowly turning into a dictatorship. 

I agree entirely. Imposing Western values on an Islamic country is ridiculous and dare I say it, the height of arrogance. It's quite ironic that revisionists who say the Christian missionaries of centuries ago were so terrible for sharing the gospel to indigenous tribes should then say that atheist "values" should be forced on non Western countries. 

When in Rome ... 

Anyone who can't see that a country (like UK) that relentlessly promotes both LGBTQI rights/actions AND Islam is heading for huge conflict is a complete idiot. To my mind the Qatar world cup highlights this coming cultural conflict perfectly. As much as I believe that every person with ssa should be treated with absolute respect and dignity I also agree that a country that retains its faith cannot be told to change that faith and laws based on that faith because foreign atheists with no such values say so. I hope we have seen the last of the deaths of workers associated with this enterprise and that LGBT fans can enjoy the football they go to see in Qatar and all fans can respect the laws of the land they are visiting. 

But that's exactly what we did - the anti-gay laws in a lot of the Middle East were imposed by the West, mainly us I believe, when we used to run the area.
    Even if that's true, they've had more than half a century to change them if they chose to. 
  • Options
    Wot no beer!  I dunno, it's all 'No this!' and 'No that!' Whatever's coming next, 'No ball games!' and I'll put a fiver on them banning betting too 😎
  • Options
    I think some of the concern is will they change their policies over other cultural issues at the last minute. Also how will their police treat fans who have been drinking that now have to make their way to the stadiums.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    This new ruling could result in thousands of fans drinking in designated fan zones away from the stadiums then tens of thousands turning up minutes before kick off. Recipe for disaster imo
    Most of the stadiums only hold 40,000 and there is huge open space around each of them. 

Once you take out the corporate etc, there won’t be ‘tens of thousands’ going to the ground all at once. In fact what was the England fan allocation for each game? 5-10k?

Not everyone that goes is a raging bald headed piss head. South Korea doesn’t have a big drinking culture and their stadiums where bigger. No problems whatsoever.
  • Options
    Breaking news: Qatar have decided to ban enjoyment.

All travelling fans must not celebrate goals, no singing and your not allowed to smile. 

If you celebrate a goal, your gay and you've snuck a budweisor in, then you can say hello to the electric chair! This is going to be a great world cup! 
  • Options
    Would Budweiser have been made aware of this move a while ago by the Qatari government and already agreed to some sort of compensation?
  • Options
    If you agree to promote your business amongst this debacle, then more fool you
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jints said:
    MrOneLung said:

I agree entirely. Imposing Western values on an Islamic country is ridiculous and dare I say it, the height of arrogance. It's quite ironic that revisionists who say the Christian missionaries of centuries ago were so terrible for sharing the gospel to indigenous tribes should then say that atheist "values" should be forced on non Western countries. 

When in Rome ... 

Anyone who can't see that a country (like UK) that relentlessly promotes both LGBTQI rights/actions AND Islam is heading for huge conflict is a complete idiot. To my mind the Qatar world cup highlights this coming cultural conflict perfectly. As much as I believe that every person with ssa should be treated with absolute respect and dignity I also agree that a country that retains its faith cannot be told to change that faith and laws based on that faith because foreign atheists with no such values say so. I hope we have seen the last of the deaths of workers associated with this enterprise and that LGBT fans can enjoy the football they go to see in Qatar and all fans can respect the laws of the land they are visiting. 

But that's exactly what we did - the anti-gay laws in a lot of the Middle East were imposed by the West, mainly us I believe, when we used to run the area.
    Even if that's true, they've had more than half a century to change them if they chose to. 
    And how long did it take us to fully reverse the 1533 Buggery Act?  More than half a century.  About 400 years more.
  • Options
    At least there won't be any beer for them not to buy
  • Options
    Isnt there Plenty of beer, just not in the stadium 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Isnt there Plenty of beer, just not in the stadium 
    Yes, but then the feeble joke works even less well 
  • Options
    When the world Cup ends, what will be the purpose of the stadiums?

Will they at least be used for something? Something that will benefit or help a cause?

They don't like football and it's culture. 

Thousands of people died just so that Qatar can host a tournament of 4 weeks worth of football. 
  • Options
    Public floggings of drinkers, dissenters and gay people?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Dave2l said:
    When the world Cup ends, what will be the purpose of the stadiums?

Will they at least be used for something? Something that will benefit or help a cause?

They don't like football and it's culture. 

Thousands of people died just so that Qatar can host a tournament of 4 weeks worth of football. 
    There is an excellent article on the bbc about their stadiums post WC. Many will be used to house schools, hospitals and shopping centres.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/extra/2p2y7yptfv/into-qatar