Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    Dave2l said:
    Dave2l said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Comment from the Telegraph...

Sir Dave Powell, you're wrong about that reference.

Halal meat is served in this country and its not a problem. We don't have a particular limit on it and over here, it is not frowned upon to serve it to religious folk. 

Alcohol is and was a problem for the Qataris long before the world Cup.

Alcohol changes people's behaviour and there can be consequences. They don't like it. 

Halal meat is just food.

We all know the alcohol ban is stupid boring and wrong,  but I don't see any point in making incorrect comparisons. 

They were aware that Budwieser was a major sponsor the WC for nearly 25 years when they bid for it. Last week they supposedly had no problem with the arrangements as they stood.

They are taking the piss, so I see no problem with taking the piss out of them. 

You don't have to be drunk or beered up to enjoy a football match.

Sure, the two things work well together, but those in attendance will be saving a fortune without even realising it, specially considering the expected prices of the drinks served within the stadiums.

Also, Qataris are losing potential large sums of money from not selling alcohol. 

Their stubbornness shot themselves in the foot
    Don't disagree Dave, though as clb 74 says, it helps when you are watching Charlton. 

My point is that it is another "footballing" reason it should never have been awarded to them, they have continually moved the goalposts (no pun intended) to suit themselves and FIFA just see the $£€ and turn a blind eye. Budwieser "beer" and the WC have been linked for decades, like it or not. Two days before the tournament they change the "rules", rules that were in place when they bid, when they won and up until Friday. It fucking stinks mate. 

I think the good thing to come out of all this, is that no future tournament can be awarded to a non-football country, and far from being a "sportswash" it has left the Qatari's looking like a bunch of arrogant chancers. 

It's a non-world cup for me, I am still not excited and it kicks off in four hours. I shall watch England and probably Wales and Portugal, but it just does not feel like a WC.      

• Options

Over the years I've boycotted or tried to boycott:

- USA (Iraq war, abortion laws, etc.)

- Russia (Invasion of Ukraine, poisoning of UK residents, etc.)

- Amazon (1-click patent)

- China (Treatment of Uyghurs, Tiananmen square, etc.)

- Nestle (formula milk)

- Israel (Palestinian territories)

- South Africa (apartheid)

… and so on.

Now, I see the world more interwoven which makes it harder to be morally consistent/non-hypocritical and have a life.

I’ve never boycotted Qatar. I have never been to the country, but I am fascinated by the comments above from people there or who have visited. 

It really galls me that a bunch of corrupt and inept officials and bureaucrats are doing their damnedest to ruin a competition I have loved since the first world cup I remember in 1978.

So I will enjoy the football (waited 4 years for it) but do hope that all the attention and pressure generated by this World Cup will make Qatar laws more in line with contemporary human rights and FIFA more accountable and less corrupt.

• Options
    I'm amazed at how many people can be so sure that Qatar wouldn't try to bribe or cheat their way to a win. There's no integrity in football.
  • Options
    Swerve said:
    When do you arrive @cafctom and how long you out there for?

Apart from @Chris_from_Sidcup @DubaiCAFC and @QatarNapsy is anyone else going out there? 

I'm not going unfortunately, although I do have a conditional ticket and flight for the final. Not holding out too much hope though!

Ten or so of our England lot are going out, including five Charlton fans, on various trips but generally for the last two group games and early knockouts

Is there a CAFC flag going with anybody?
  • Options
    edited November 2022
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I mean it was always going to be nuts in Qatar, but Italia ‘90 at $9.4BN seems incredibly high!
    It does indeed, but on reflection, there is an Italian organisation (with several sometimes competing divisions) that seems to be involved in most Italian infrastructure projects…. ;)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I mean it was always going to be nuts in Qatar, but Italia ‘90 at $9.4BN seems incredibly high!
    It does indeed, but on reflection, there is an Italian organisation (with several sometimes competing divisions) that seems to be involved in most Italian infrastructure projects…. ;)
    Super Mario Run  Apps no Google Play
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Yeah and at least the Turin and Bari stadiums were built at that time so probs included in the calcs…

(Italy of course have a great footballing heritage but maybe not the best rep for maintenance (even with all the extra practise that anything coming out of the Fiat plant gives them….) so a lot of work was needed prior to the WC
  • Options
    We’re gonna have a month of knobheads complaining they can’t get a pint. 

It does make me laugh as most out there will have the view of if you live in England you live by English rules 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At this point I’m determined not to watch a single match but it’s going to be hard. 
  • Options
    Looks like entance to Lydd Airport rave back in the 90s
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    They banned chair legs out there n all then? 

• Options
    Tbf looks nicer than Paris!
  • Options
    Hope they're social distancing and there's a big take up on masks 😷

;) 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I'm amazed at how many people can be so sure that Qatar wouldn't try to bribe or cheat their way to a win. There's no integrity in football.
    I don’t think it’s that their principles or honesty would stop them, but it would be very hard to get away with it without someone noticing, realising or whistleblowing.
  • Options
    Swerve said:
    When do you arrive @cafctom and how long you out there for?

Apart from @Chris_from_Sidcup @DubaiCAFC and @QatarNapsy is anyone else going out there? 

I'm not going unfortunately, although I do have a conditional ticket and flight for the final. Not holding out too much hope though!

Ten or so of our England lot are going out, including five Charlton fans, on various trips but generally for the last two group games and early knockouts

Is there a CAFC flag going with anybody?
    Unlikely to see one with our lot unfortunately, as no-one will be bothered to get in the ground early enough to put one up. That won't be helped by the beer situation!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Gribbo said:
    Lineker, referencing a giant model of the World Cup trophy in the middle of the pitch - "Probably made out of real gold out here".

You're out there earning a pound note off it Gal, so just get on with what you're there to do you f***ing hypocrite.

Still can't work out why the BBC / ITV feel the need to actually have all these presenters and pundits on location. Can't they do exactly the same job from a studio in Manchester?
    To be fair they probably need some Reporters out there to cover the England / Welsh camps etc.

But yeah they dont need to be in there, they showed that with Euro 2020 - Then these are the types who'll be the first to lecture us, that climate change is baaad
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Call me controversial but a disallowed goal for Ecuador has been ruled out for offside which IMHO ( and that of the commentators) was a 100% ridiculous decision. 

Wonder how many replays "they" will allow to be shown....

So, has it started already ? 
  • Options

The Guardian has been able to report fearlessly on the dark side of sport - doping, corruption, rights abuses in big host nations like Russia, China and Qatar - because we don’t rely on shareholders or a billionaire owner with an ulterior motive. That leaves us free from commercial or political influence. Reporting like this is vital for democracy, for fairness and to demand better from the powerful.

@PragueAddick

Is the Guardian aware of the Charlton dossier and has started investigating fearlessly or do they only report fearlessly on the Premiership or top flight sport?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Lineker, referencing a giant model of the World Cup trophy in the middle of the pitch - "Probably made out of real gold out here".

You're out there earning a pound note off it Gal, so just get on with what you're there to do you f***ing hypocrite.

Still can't work out why the BBC / ITV feel the need to actually have all these presenters and pundits on location. Can't they do exactly the same job from a studio in Manchester?
    Exactly. Minto, Curbs and Browny didn’t go all the way up to Port Vale as presenters and pundits and did a great job from The Valley.
  • Options
    Aren’t wales wearing the same arm band ?