Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Qatar World Cup - Non Football Related Thread

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    I care about basic human rights, sexuality etc but making it all about armbands trivialises it. If the teams were that bothered they'd boycott the tournament when it was clearly corrupt the day it became host
    Agree on the boycotting part. That only happens if one continental association at a time agrees to boycott though, e.g, all UEFA teams agreeing to boycott. 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    I care about basic human rights, sexuality etc but making it all about armbands trivialises it. If the teams were that bothered they'd boycott the tournament when it was clearly corrupt the day it became host
    We can't even get fans to boycott.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    The furore around Alex Scott wearing that armband is ridiculous.  Anyone would’ve thought she’s the new Terry Waite and been chained to a radiator and held captive or something.  Oh, she’s so brave???  She’s a well known football pundit working for a national broadcaster, she’s not brave.  Nothing is going to happen to her in the shape of any reprimand.  Has she come out and said her wages for the tournament are going to a LGBTQ+ charity, not to my knowledge.  Is she staying in a nice hotel, eating nice food, enjoying the experience, most probably.  

It’s crazy.  I have no issue with her beliefs, just the absolute nonsense that comes with the reaction on social media.  It’s something about this country.  Beckham standing in a queue for 13 hours to see the Queen lying in state - the response was way ott.  Celebrities doing things and the British public’s responses are so excruciating 
    The public worship celebrities who lap it all up.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    The furore around Alex Scott wearing that armband is ridiculous.  Anyone would’ve thought she’s the new Terry Waite and been chained to a radiator and held captive or something.  Oh, she’s so brave???  She’s a well known football pundit working for a national broadcaster, she’s not brave.  Nothing is going to happen to her in the shape of any reprimand.  Has she come out and said her wages for the tournament are going to a LGBTQ+ charity, not to my knowledge.  Is she staying in a nice hotel, eating nice food, enjoying the experience, most probably.  

It’s crazy.  I have no issue with her beliefs, just the absolute nonsense that comes with the reaction on social media.  It’s something about this country.  Beckham standing in a queue for 13 hours to see the Queen lying in state - the response was way ott.  Celebrities doing things and the British public’s responses are so excruciating 
    TBH this is what probably triggered my rant yesterday. Should probably avoid social media and wine! It's the race for the hottest take, and I was probably guilty of that.

Got a lot of respect for the Iranian players not singing their anthems, and whilst an armband might have been a nice gesture, actually I don't think it was worth getting booked for it quite frankly.
  • Options

I was frantically trying to think where Infantino got the idea of aligning himself to the Qataris, Arabs, Africans, Gays, the Disabled, migrant workers and later on - for good measure - Women.

Anyway it came to me.  Ich Bin ein Berliner.

In 1963 John F Kennedy made a speech of solidarity to the people of West Berlin, but possibly more importantly, a thinly disguised warning to the East Germans and Russians.  

Kennedy closes his speech with, “I am a Berliner”.  His words carried more gravitas than Infantino’s perceived victimisation over his ginger bonce I think.

(Closing lines from 1963).

Freedom is indivisible, and when one man is enslaved, all are not free. When all are free, then we look -- can look forward to that day when this city will be joined as one and this country and this great Continent of Europe in a peaceful and hopeful globe. When that day finally comes, as it will, the people of West Berlin can take sober satisfaction in the fact that they were in the front lines for almost two decades.

All -- All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin.

And, therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words --

"Ich bin ein Berliner."

• Options
    On the itv commentary they are genuinely going on about someone trying to sneak a bucket hat in - these aren’t brave souls that have fought on the front line, these are people that want a bit of likes on social media. 

Doesn’t it say more that you’d have to sneak a bucket hat in? A bucket hat that you could wear anywhere else in the world. 
    But we all know what a backwards medieval country it is, the constant daily barrage of someone “ making a point “ is getting fucking boring. Alex Scott wearing an armband yet Pocketing all the wages from being out there turn it in donate the lot to stonewall if you want to make a point. 

It’s on par with the tossers that went round videoing empty hospital when covid was in its early days. 

It’s not the only thing that’s boring round here. 
    very good - but having a pop at me doesn't do a lot does it, its an opinion on it which i'm entitled to. 
  • Options
    rainbow items are used as symbols of LGBTQ+ people we all know that, qatar and many of the middle east it is illegal to be homosexual. so its not just because its a rainbow its someone wearing to be provocative and cause a stir, whether that's right or wrong that's the laws of the country and has been for many years. 

so the welsh fan wearing said bucket hat has paid to travel to qatar, paid ticket money to go to a stadium in qatar, bought food and drink in qatar. 

as i said earlier i have 0 interest in visiting the place as i dont agree with there laws and practices and think they are backwards. i dont agree with the burkha in england as we arent a sharia country - but then im labelled racist?. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Christ... Cmon England, lose to United States and Wales please

• Options
    Christ... Cmon England, lose to United States and Wales please

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas 🍻
  • Options
    Also ironic that when the live feed from Qatar drops, the holding screen looks remarkably like a rainbow flag
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    I wonder what Bob Katter would have to say about all this Qatar armband controversy...

• Options
    Chunes said:
    I wonder what Bob Katter would have to say about all this Qatar armband controversy
    Ha, one of my favourite maniacs!

https://youtu.be/Wm4kRqedsgo
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Imo - The mistake was made over 10 years ago when FIFA awarded it to Qatar in the first place and EVERYONE knew it, but most were reluctant to say too much beccause of being labelled one thing or other. That initial decision most probably gave Qatar some vindication in it beliefs and practices. 

Fast forward to 3 days into the tournament and I personally can't see any point in shouting and screaming every time a fan is asked to remove a rainbow coloured garment or a captain decides not to wear the armband. There's been over 10 years to do something more radical and no one has bothered, although I still think, as a last minute thing, the media firms could've showed more of a stand by not committing as many resources to it as they have.
    I dont quite get what you're saying here...........getting the world cup has reinforced their belief in Islam??
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    I wonder what Bob Katter would have to say about all this Qatar armband controversy...

Bob Katter.........what a legend! (and a nutter).
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    rainbow items are used as symbols of LGBTQ+ people we all know that, qatar and many of the middle east it is illegal to be homosexual. so its not just because its a rainbow its someone wearing to be provocative and cause a stir, whether that's right or wrong that's the laws of the country and has been for many years. 

so the welsh fan wearing said bucket hat has paid to travel to qatar, paid ticket money to go to a stadium in qatar, bought food and drink in qatar. 

as i said earlier i have 0 interest in visiting the place as i dont agree with there laws and practices and think they are backwards. i dont agree with the burkha in england as we arent a sharia country - but then im labelled racist?. 
    I find it funny the mental gymnastics people manage to throw to make sure they oppose any protests, regardless of what it is or what it is for. 

Bucket hats are now 'provocative' and deserving of bans. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Imo - The mistake was made over 10 years ago when FIFA awarded it to Qatar in the first place and EVERYONE knew it, but most were reluctant to say too much beccause of being labelled one thing or other. That initial decision most probably gave Qatar some vindication in it beliefs and practices. 

Fast forward to 3 days into the tournament and I personally can't see any point in shouting and screaming every time a fan is asked to remove a rainbow coloured garment or a captain decides not to wear the armband. There's been over 10 years to do something more radical and no one has bothered, although I still think, as a last minute thing, the media firms could've showed more of a stand by not committing as many resources to it as they have.
    I dont quite get what you're saying here...........getting the world cup has reinforced their belief in Islam??
    Might be my mistake (probably is), but I thought hating gay people had nothing to do with Islam as the Quran says that we should all be loved regardless, and that it was more a cultural thing? At least that was what we were told.

So, my point was that as it is a cultural thing, awarding them the World Cup kind of vindicates their cultural beliefs and goes some way towards showing them that it's acceptable throughout the rest of the world.

As I said though, I'm personally a believer in; their country, their rules, but just trying to give an opinion on why we're seeing people not being allowed to wear a rainbow bucket hat into a football ground.
  • Options

I find it funny the mental gymnastics people manage to throw to make sure they oppose any protests, regardless of what it is or what it is for. 

no your doing some mental gymnastics there as i clearly said RAINBOW bucket hat and the person wearing it was deliberately wearing it to get a reaction. 

i dont oppose protests at all unless its some cnut blocking the m25 - but playing look how bad qatar is its a sharia state country where its quite clearly illegal to promote or be homosexual - wearing a rainbow that is synonymous with the LGBTQ+ community is going to cause offence/issues to the natives of qatar who likely believe in these views, the authorities will also act. 
  • Options

no your doing some mental gymnastics there as i clearly said RAINBOW bucket hat and the person wearing it was deliberately wearing it to get a reaction. 

i dont oppose protests at all unless its some cnut blocking the m25 - but playing look how bad qatar is its a sharia state country where its quite clearly illegal to promote or be homosexual - wearing a rainbow that is synonymous with the LGBTQ+ community is going to cause offence/issues to the natives of qatar who likely believe in these views, the authorities will also act. 
    Did FIFA say fans couldn’t wear clothes with rainbow patterns on then?
  • Options

really not worth the time to explain for the 5th time - enjoy your day 
  • Options

That’s a no then. FIFA has never explicitly banned any rainbow clothing for this World Cup. In fact, the Qatar organising committee for this World Cup said in June:

‘Everyone will be welcome to Qatar in 2022, regardless of their race, background, religion, gender, sexual orientation or nationality.’

And FIFA said:

‘Based on our engagement with the relevant Qatari authorities, and following existing government guarantees, and the event-specific legislation, as well as our experience of hosting other events in Qatar, Fifa is confident that persons identifying as LGBTIQ+ will not face any repercussions…’
  • Options

That’s a no then. FIFA has never explicitly banned any rainbow clothing for this World Cup. In fact, the Qatar organising committee for this World Cup said in June:

‘Everyone will be welcome to Qatar in 2022, regardless of their race, background, religion, gender, sexual orientation or nationality.’

And FIFA said:

‘Based on our engagement with the relevant Qatari authorities, and following existing government guarantees, and the event-specific legislation, as well as our experience of hosting other events in Qatar, Fifa is confident that persons identifying as LGBTIQ+ will not face any repercussions…’
    identifying - not wearing LGBTQ+ associated clothing, in fairness a few people have been told they cant wear it on the box haven't been slung in prison
  • Options

And FIFA said:

identifying - not wearing LGBTQ+ associated clothing, in fairness a few people have been told they cant wear it on the box haven't been slung in prison
    Clutching at straws there.