Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FIFA Women’s World Cup 2023

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    swordfish said:
    MrOneLung said:
    England Women doing what the men can't.
    I despair.
    Ahhhh do you want a cuddle @ValleyGary?
    Well it was a shit comment you made 
    Saying the Women’s team are doing better than the men? What have I missed? 

Please tell me why it’s a shit comment.
    First of all, well done to the lionesses. About time their potential bonus payments were sorted out for if they were to win on Sunday. By making it to their world cup final, the women have achieved in Australia 2023 what the men have failed to achieve in theirs since 1966 on home soil.

That's just a fact, like it or not and undeniable even by those who might consider it a shit comment because they consider such comparisons to be meaningless.
    Oh I see, I’ve offended some male egos, that women could be better and while it may be a different game, I don’t think that should devalue it at all.

The men and England were the home of football but have, as you say done next to nothing since ‘66.

In the short history of the Women’s game, I think they’ve done very well and deserve the praise, even if the men might feel they’ve had their nose put out of joint.

Thanks for enlightening me  @swordfish
    I don't even understand what comparison you are trying to make to be honest - The women have made 2 major finals so have the men.

They have made 2 world cup semi finals before being knocked out. So have the men. (perennial quarter finalists as well I see looking at the history)

If there is any comparison to be made at this point (which there really isn't but even humouring you) they have a near identical record at international level in terms of major tournaments. 

I’m not sure why you think you need to humour me. @manicmania? They’ve achieved In a much shorter time frame. 

Can’t people have different opinions without the posse saddling up and riding into town.

Sorry but I don’t think the same way as those I’ve appeared to have offended, it is allowed, I believe.

Male ego, is really something.
  • Options
    What the fuck has this got to do with male ego  
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    swordfish said:
    MrOneLung said:
    England Women doing what the men can't.
    I despair.
    Ahhhh do you want a cuddle @ValleyGary?
    Well it was a shit comment you made 
    Saying the Women’s team are doing better than the men? What have I missed? 

Please tell me why it’s a shit comment.
    First of all, well done to the lionesses. About time their potential bonus payments were sorted out for if they were to win on Sunday. By making it to their world cup final, the women have achieved in Australia 2023 what the men have failed to achieve in theirs since 1966 on home soil.

That's just a fact, like it or not and undeniable even by those who might consider it a shit comment because they consider such comparisons to be meaningless.
    Oh I see, I’ve offended some male egos, that women could be better and while it may be a different game, I don’t think that should devalue it at all.

The men and England were the home of football but have, as you say done next to nothing since ‘66.

In the short history of the Women’s game, I think they’ve done very well and deserve the praise, even if the men might feel they’ve had their nose put out of joint.

Thanks for enlightening me  @swordfish
    I don't even understand what comparison you are trying to make to be honest - The women have made 2 major finals so have the men.

They have made 2 world cup semi finals before being knocked out. So have the men. (perennial quarter finalists as well I see looking at the history)

If there is any comparison to be made at this point (which there really isn't but even humouring you) they have a near identical record at international level in terms of major tournaments. 

I’m not sure why you think you need to humour me? They’ve achieved In a much shorter time frame. 

Can’t people have different opinions without the posse saddling up and riding into time.

Sorry but I don’t think the same way as those I’ve appeared to have offended, it is allowed, I believe.

Male ego, is really something.
    Oh I see. That's fantastic. 

i'm not offended as I am English and like all good Englishmen - their success is my success as i'm a fan.

So the comparison is that it took them a shorter amount of time, because it came across in your first comment that you were saying that the mens team aren't capable and the womens team are, but I'm glad you cleared up that what you actually meant was they just did it faster.

Thanks for clarifying because your first comment came across a bit shit.

• Options
    The behind the goal angle of Kerr's goal made it look like it deflected  off of Bright. 
  • Options
    England better in every department,  Kerr's wonder goal a minor fly in the ointment. 
    Kerr’s goal, perhaps the goal of the tournament.  But, she missed two chances which might have turned the game.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Yeah it got a flick of Bright that took it away from MEarps 

great pic from the in goal stills camera 

"Let's give the ball to the world's best player and give her some space to run at the defence. What's the worst that could happen?"
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    @Weegie Addick CL is not a natural home for positive talk about women's football. 
    The usual cliché about female keepers and the other boring stuff. 

Three great goals today from Toone, Russo and Kerr proving she's not just a Fox in the box as well as Star player Hemp leaving us all high when she scored after the defender couldn't clear from the 35 yard pass from Millie Bright.

My son said the noise after Kerr's goal (he was behind that goal) was manic ( did he mean high pitched ?) and England did well to play their way out of that dodgy spell.

The only talk should be about women's world cups which only started in 91:
    USA 4, Germany 2, Japan 1, Norway 1 are the only winners so we are guaranteed a new name on the trophy.

Edited: Norway 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    @Weegie Addick CL is not a natural home for positive talk about women's football. 

Three great goals today from Toone, Russo and Kerr proving she's not just a Fox in the box as well as Star player Hemp leaving us all high when she scored after the defender couldn't clear from the 35 yard pass from Millie Bright.

My son said the noise after Kerr's goal (he was behind that goal) was manic ( did he mean high pitched ?) and England did well to play their way out of that dodgy spell.

USA 4, Germany 2, Japan 1, Norway 1 are the only winners so we are guaranteed a new name on the trophy.

this is what I am talking about. Provocative and condescending.

1300 comments on this thread and you've just judged the whole forum based on what 20? of them?

• Options
    edited August 2023

1300 comments on this thread and you've just judged the whole forum based on what 20? of them?

What was condescending was in the Euro's CL members saying women's football should have smaller goals in the pro game !
    Go back and read the comments because there are never 1280 positive comments.

It was mainly Tel in Australia and me here in England talking to each other at first or ourselves after the first few group games.
    CL is not the demographic for women's football to grow. Middle aged and 95% male.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

What was condescending was in the Euro's CL members saying women's football should have smaller goals in the pro game !
    Go back and read the comments because there are never 1280 positive comments.

first of all, i'm talking about this thread re-the 20 comments. If your supposition were correct that "this is not a natural home to talk about womens football" I assume you could absolutely destroy my argument with examples of at least 20% of comments being negative then? Correct? That would be 250 plus negative comments throughout the thread.

I have been in and around this thread since game one and I have seen a lot of talking about the games, our chances, pretty much everything you would expect to see in a thread from a mens England world cup run with perhaps one or two dick head comments smattered in - nothing to suggest this is "not a natural place to talk about womens football"    you are conjuring up issues that simply aren't really there anymore to the extent you think it is because that is what it used to be like rather than what is actually happening. 

Regarding the euros - I would have to read it back before I came to the conclusion you have. 

• Options
    edited August 2023
    I was talking about this thread when I said about the vast majority of negative posts.

I agree with you about what Martin/Nitram said above as there shouldn't be comparison between our men's and Women's football team. Don't put our men's international team down as our record is semi final's and Final's (maybe the other way round !) The boys did well and came, oh so close against Italy. 

The media keep mentioning 66 really grates on me. It's a mill stone around the England men's team so why do they mention it regarding the women's game when it was still banned in this country. The Preston Ladies were too popular in the 20's and a 50 year ban by the Blazers ensued for organised football under the FA.

I'm pleased I mentioned Kelly's Rocket penalty as that was a bit freaky as it broke the all comers record. 
    Chole Kelly is 8 stone soaking wet so I'm not sure where that power came from ?

• Options
    edited August 2023
    I was talking about this thread when I said about the vast majority of negative posts.

I agree with you about what Martin/Nitram said above as there shouldn't be comparison between our men's and Women's football team. Don't put our men's international team down as our record is semi final's and Final's (maybe the other way round !) The boys did well and came, oh so close against Italy. 

The media keep mentioning 66 really grates on me. It's a mill stone around the England men's team so why do they mention it regarding the women's game when it was still banned in this country. The Preston Ladies were too popular in the 20's and a 50 year ban by the Blazers ensued for organised football under the FA.

I'm pleased I mentioned Kelly's Rocket penalty as that was a bit freaky as it broke the all comers record. 
    Chole Kelly is 8 stone soaking wet so I'm not sure where that power came from ?

I disagree about your contention. You are way off base with your conclusions about this forum, with respect. Sorry. i've learned a great deal about womens football from the contributions of this forum. You are welcome to magic up misogyny if you like. I'm happy to agree to disagree though but I stand by my comments and am very happy to be proven wrong.
  • Options
    Great result. On to the final! 
  • Options
    The 2-day build up to the Lionesses game "Down Under' was billed as underdog Straya beating the old enemy. Most seemed convinced that the Aussies would make the final. Pre-match punditry on both OPTUS and Channel 7 almost had them talking about the game and tournament were in the bag for the Green & Gold. Each of the 4 female Aussie Pundits had Straya winning. Suffice to say when the 3rd goal went in for us, I did have a wry smile on my face. LoL

Now the day after, the press here are firmly on the Spain bandwagon with comments like 'Viva el Espanol'. Makes me chuckle how much us POMS are despised here on the sporting front.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Caption competition anyone? 
  • Options
    The 2-day build up to the Lionesses game "Down Under' was billed as underdog Straya beating the old enemy. Most seemed convinced that the Aussies would make the final. Pre-match punditry on both OPTUS and Channel 7 almost had them talking about the game and tournament were in the bag for the Green & Gold. Each of the 4 female Aussie Pundits had Straya winning. Suffice to say when the 3rd goal went in for us, I did have a wry smile on my face. LoL

Now the day after, the press here are firmly on the Spain bandwagon with comments like 'Viva el Espanol'. Makes me chuckle how much us POMS are despised here on the sporting front.
    Having lived in OZ for 60 years,  I have nether been called or been put down for where I was born. However the Media like to play that game to sell their papers and get people worked up to nationalistic frenzy. 

Classic example, my wife is Aussie. Never been to a game of soccer, never wanted to go with me to a game. Happy to go to Aussie rules game. In the past when watching on Optus, she has commented on how boring the game is and it's lack of scoring. Now it's all different. What a great game it is. Mind you after the Aust v France game, not interested in watching the other qf. It really pisses me of.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023

If they had asked Glenn McGrath the score we know the reply: 5-0 to the Matildas !
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Caption competition anyone? 
    That's a great photo.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    England better in every department,  Kerr's wonder goal a minor fly in the ointment. 
    Kerr’s goal, perhaps the goal of the tournament.  But, she missed two chances which might have turned the game.

Sam Kerr is a perfectionist and she was gutted despite scoring a worldie as the other two chances she would normally put away. Some strange defending by England when she was unmarked in the box and we had two defenders actually behind the goal line ! 

I get to watch a few live games at Kings meadow, Kingston and when Kerr and Kirby were in tandem Sam's movement is excellent and most of her goals were in or around the box. Not running from the halfway line and scoring from 25 yards !

Agree with Ian Wright who said on ITV that he is pleased Sam Kerr scored a great WC goal but ultimately England won and power on to the final.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    England have won 13 matches in a row in the Euro's and World Cup.

One more to go.

Son was down the end that Toone scored her great goal and Kerr scored her fantastic goal. 

I will obviously tip Spain for life insurance reasons.
    No, they only drew with Nigeria. 

We have won 13 matches in a row in Euro's and WC.
    We went to extra time against Spain in Euro's ( I was behind the goal for Stanway's winner in that Q.Final) and we beat Nigeria on penalties.

I have just checked the Rules and England have definitely won all 13 games.👍
    The bookies rules are different and those leeches can call it a draw before ET.

Chole Kelly who learnt her trade in the cages of west London( with six brothers) wins the prize for the most blatant piece of Shithousery with the extra ball on the pitch.
    As subtle as an air raid but you have to love her❤️

OK - I'll bite.

There are betting lines for 90 minutes that include the draw odds - if it's a draw at 90 minutes then the bookies pay out to anyone who backed the draw. Do you also expect them to pay out if the team you backed wins in extra time/penalties?

Odds to qualify with no draw stated are available.

I know you know that!

Hardly leeches, just common sense rules.
  • Options
    It's all about opinions, but I felt comfortable watching the women see that game out - unlike watching Charlton - who leave me on the edge of my seat when winning 2 0 with five minutes to go.  

I concur with these ratings from one of the big news outlets here which show England at sevens and eights and Aus at sixes and sevens (pardon the pun).

• Options
    Carpenter 6?! After her effort for England's 2nd goal I'm surprised she's been allowed to remain in Australia
  • Options
    Wonder if a commentator has ever managed to get "Polkinghorne pokes home" in?