Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth | Monday 17th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    So this season, we've only won a single game, where we've scored less than 3-goals!!

Fully deserved, was never really worried about Portsmouth, they looked toothless all night... Which is again credit to us because its only the second game that Portsmouth have (1) lost, and (2) failed to score.
    It's not a coincidence.

There were a lot of things that happened in all of those games that don't/can't/won't happen at 0-0 or even 1-0.

If we could play like we do at 2-0 from the start we will win most weeks. 

Another illogical thing that's happened is we have stopped conceding which, as I predicted weeks ago, means we actually score more.
  • Options
    I enjoyed the game. Thought we managed the game perfectly. Hopefully we can push on and get a few away wins to match our home form.
    a good evening.
  • Options
    Great win and I think that might even be a better performance than Plymouth. 

It sounded loud in the stadium, did that come across on TV? 
  • Options
    Pompey are an ordinary League One side. They are better than the shit ones of which there are many but where we have to improve is when we play teams that try to stop us rather than beat us. It was good to see CBT score but their keeper was awful for that one. Innis needs to keep doing that, we know he can terrorise defenders and I think his offensive heading has been a bit off but not today. Was it a foul? Possibly but one that you never get, Morrison was just too weak.
  • Options
    The thing is, we're not good at closing games out, indeed I don't think Garner is the sort of manager who can set his team up to nick a goal then suffocate the opposition defensively.

We're much better when we're positive and looking for further goals. The difference tonight is that we were clinical with our finishing when we did create chances.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great performance tonight so many positives.
  • Options
    The thing is, we're not good at closing games out, indeed I don't think Garner is the sort of manager who can set his team up to nick a goal then suffocate the opposition defensively.

We're much better when we're positive and looking for further goals. The difference tonight is that we were clinical with our finishing when we did create chances.
    I noticed that at 2-0 in the second half, Garner was screaming at the whole team to get further up the pitch after a bit of Portsmouth pressure 
  • Options
    Garner confesses in a post match interview that at last he's found the right combination for his players .. 7 points from 9 and 7 goals scored after switching to 4 4 2 says it all .. I withdraw my demand for him to be sacked (For now lol) .. great all round performance tonight although we got a bit sloppy and arrogant about 10 mins from the end when more pressure and accuracy could have had us more goals.
    Overall I am delighted .. now 3 points at Shrewsbury will make it a perfect 2 weeks
  • Options
    edited October 2022

We have some decent players. To be honest, Dobson and Fraser are as good as anything you will find at this level. I think we need more goals and Inniss, CBT and JRS are obvious areas we should get more from. It was good that two of them scored today. Key to our season IMO.
  • Options
    I was not impressed with Pompey. Our easiest game of the season. 
  • Options
    It was live on TV over here - absolutely fantastic win.

The only issue we have, and it's hardly a state secret, is that our squad is paper thin.

Still no proper left-back or running striker (accepting Aneke can only come off the bench).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Bailey said:
    Don't think we played 4-4-2 as Kirk was everywhere in the first half, brave line up and tactics from Garner. Great win built on a solid defence and Pompey being robbed of a penalty despite us being denied the offside was justice not robbery.  
    Wasn't even a corner that led to that penalty shout: everyone in west half of the CE saw the ball bounce off the Portsmouth player. Unfortunately the ref and lino's views were blocked by the players themselves.
  • Options
    Agree that Egbo and Sess make a massive difference to the balance of the team. 
  • Options
    Game was in the Dobson and Fraser were outstanding pressing, in their faces, not letting them play out from the back.
    Long may the run continue and await TS flooding social media 
  • Options
    I watched the game on tv. 

Charlton played as a solid team, all working very hard for each other throughout. They never looked like losing.

Yeah it was a foul on their guy but he was clearly off side so was never going to be given anyway

Blackett-Taylor was also my man of the match