Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic vs Portsmouth | Monday 17th October 2022

Comments

• Options
    Wasn't expecting that performance and would have been happy with a point before the game.
    That now has to be the minimum level of performance and effort going forwards.  Every player was solid and we were good both with and without the ball.  Will be interesting to see if this is a proper shift in direction or one-off, roll-on Saturday to find out.......
  • Options
    I enjoy playing Pompey not just because we get a result more often than not, but the atmosphere is better and the players definitely raised their game last night. Can't fault them- no one was hiding and you can see the improvement in confidence. 
    Let's hope it gets carried on to Shrewsbury away which will be an entirely different challenge
  • Options
    They showed before the game on sky that we conceded 6 goals from crosses the most in league one, It looked like it was going be 7 but outstanding save from Wollacott apart from that thought our back 4 was consistent and solid throughout. 

Team worked exceptionally hard out of possession with few moments of quality in possession, it wasn't the prettiest in terms of possession was bit rushed but on the transition we looked dangerous, I always feel that we look more threatening when countering rather then slow ponderous build up play and last night proved it. 

For me I think it benefits the likes of CBT starting a bit deeper as it gives him more space to run into, the only thing I like the widemen to do is when they cut in can they find that extra pass work it into the box rather then try score from 20 yards each time.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great result and to be fair i thought pompey played their part, despite some people thinking they were poor. Lots of tackles and niggles all round just like football used to be. Just wish we could play the same style away from home.
  • Options
    https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england3

4th in the home table
    23rd in the away table

Pretty obvious we need to start improving our away form 
    Strange that because i'm fairly sure Swindon under Garner had the reverse fortunes. Great on the road but couldn't win at home
  • Options
    I think I’m still pissed from Saturday cos I didn’t think Kirk was any good, better than previous nut that’s not much , slide rule pass to CBT apart I thought he did his usual nothingness…

I didn't think Kirk overall was that great either. One great assist, but a lot of the time he struggled to get into the game
  • Options
    If only we could play all of our games midweek at home - we would smash the league 100+ goal difference! 

With all the stuff going on with TS - Well done Garner, for getting the team playing again. Fraser and Dobson are a very good partnership at this level. We are certainly looking up now, and long may it continue. 
  • Options
    The thing that I love about Charlie Kirk is he very rarely wastes the ball. Just wish we could get it to his feet more, he creates at least one great chance every time he plays.
    True but he still needs to be braver and take more risks. The kind of player you want to put on a huge performance related pay scheme if they get to say 8 goals. 

Maybe we are in the process of learning to take the rough with the smooth as they are both as strong as the other.

• Options
    Minor point….we still have not scored from a corner this season despite TV commentary suggesting otherwise.
    The goal was from open play……take another look.
  • Options
    Minor point….we still have not scored from a corner this season despite TV commentary suggesting otherwise.
    The goal was from open play……take another look.
    yes, very minor. Technically you're right of course
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england3

4th in the home table
    23rd in the away table

Pretty obvious we need to start improving our away form 
    Strange that because i'm fairly sure Swindon under Garner had the reverse fortunes. Great on the road but couldn't win at home
    We are a very different team to Swindon.  You look at the players they had last season and for all their faults, they were league 2 players, they were mainly technically very good.  The likes of Read, Payne, Barry, Williams are all very technical and probably much better at that side of the game than most of our players, when you compare them to the opposition.

Our team are much more athletic, most of our goals come from us being a bit more direct (not to be confused with hoof ball).  If we can do that away from home, where intuitively it should be easier, we will start to win away. 
  • Options
    The thing that I love about Charlie Kirk is he very rarely wastes the ball. Just wish we could get it to his feet more, he creates at least one great chance every time he plays.
    I’m not convinced the experiment with him fully worked, last night, but I’ve long felt I’d like to see him play more centrally and I’d give him another game or two there to find his feet. 

Out wide it’s very predictable, cut back on right foot, cross or 5 yard slide pass. He hasn’t the pace to get outside on the touchline. If he get in that pocket centrally he’s got a good first touch and weight of pass and could prove an excellent supplier in that sense. 
    I think it was more a necessity than an experiment. CBT or JRS would not have done any better up top. In fact, they might have played like headless chickens with their back often to goal as it's not their style. 
  • Options
    The whole team played so well.  Pick for me were the two CBs, Innis was utterly dominant and that was O'Connell's best game for us.  Both scoring was great to see but their defensive work was excellent.

Then the two CMs were superb, Fraser just never gives it away and Dobson does the work of 2-3 players.  Dobson certainly will go on to the Championship comfortably.

Outside of those 4 though our full backs just did their jobs brilliantly and bring so much balance from the start of the season when they were missing.  CBT played his best game of the season.  Kirk really put so much more effort in and looked good on the ball and whilst Stockley didn't score or assist (I think), he ran himself into the ground working so,.so hard for the team with the high press.

Wolacott didn't really have a chance to impress, so dominant was our defence but did what he did well.  Rak Saki probably the one who didn't perform to his best.  Still decent and runs well but needs to improve his decision making (no surprise given his age).

Thought Mingi looked very good when he came on for them, kind of glided over the surface with speed and could run with the ball every well.  Good for him for finding his way after being released by us.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Scott Fraser is absolute mustard.

He was last night and also in recent matches, Scott is looking like the guy who was so good at the valley for MK Dons but unfortunately for Jackson he never had this match fit Fraser available last season.