Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• edited November 2022
    JaShea99 said:
    What is the record out of interest?
    Record shared between 1982, 2006, 2010, 2014 which each had seven.

So only four more needed for the record and still 50 games to play.
    Brazil 2014 had five group games end 0-0. Plus two knockout matches that went to penalties without a goal being scored. There was however another three games that had no goal in 90 minutes and was decided in extra time.

So seven officially but 10 in 90 minutes.

South Africa 2010 had six goalless group games. One nil nil knockout game decided on penalties and one game finished in extra time after a goalless 90 minutes.

Seven officially but 8 in 90 minutes.

Germany 2006 had five nil nil games in the group stage plus two goalless knockouts decided on penalties. One other game ended in extra time after no goals in 90 minutes. Seven officially but 8 in 90 minutes.

Spain 1982 had seven group stage games end goalless and none in the shorter knockout format.

As percentages of games played per tournament:

- South Africa 2010 & Germany 2006: 10.94% (or 12.50% in 90 minutes)

- Brazil 2014: 10.94% (or 15.63% in 90 minutes)

- Spain 1982: 13.46%
  • edited November 2022
    Current pace of Qatar 2022: 28.57% goalless
  • From the 14 games to date:

0-0     4
    1-0     2
    1-1     1
    2-0     2
    2-1     2
    4-1     1
    6-2     1
    7-0     1

So:

1 or less goals     6
    2 or less goals     9
    3 or less goals     11

The three games with more than 3 goals were played between teams in terms of rankings:

4 v 38
    5 v 20
    7 v 31

I would be surprised, once we get into the knock out stages, whether there will be many high scoring games. I hope that Southgate doesn't resort to a back 5 plus 2 holding midfielders. We are so much a better team with the handbrake off but I suspect that he might do so simply because of the fear that, if we go behind, in chasing the game we will leave ourselves too vulnerable to the counter. 

• Very uneven spread of goals so far, with 7 in one game yesterday and 8 in England’s game!
  • edited November 2022
    Urgh... this should be the first game where we should be looking forward to seeing Wollacott :(

Wonder if the commentary team will mention it, any other Nation losing their No. 1 Goalkeeper on the eve of the tournament would be massive news
  • Is football no longer a contact sport
  • Is football no longer a contact sport
    It’s felt like an inconsistent tournament on that front to me. Some refs seem to allow some pretty tasty tackles but others blow up for anything.
  • A poor day at the WC so far.
  • Missed the beginning as we had a power cut (blowing a hoolie with thunder & lightning).
    Didn’t miss much.
    Although not sure how that Ronaldo goal wasn’t given 😳
  • Sponsored links:

• Portugal's play is too slow, all a bit Charltonish...
  • God they're such whining diving rascals. VAR a good thing on the whole for putting paid to Portugal's bullshit 
  • Portugal got so many little rats. Felix is embarrassing.
  • Soft as feck that pen
  • Never a pen 😂😂😂😂😂
  • I don’t think that’s a pen 
  • Very soft that. Ronaldo definitely looking for it.
  • That was not a penalty
  • Never a pen 
  • Sponsored links:

• Great penalty, awful decision. 
  • Makes up for not giving his legit goal earlier.
    Joe would have saved it though 😜
  • Fucking not even a VAR check…disgusting by the officials
  • Fucking not even a VAR check…disgusting by the officials
    I think all penalties are checked by VAR?
  • Leuth said:
    God they're such whining diving rascals. VAR a good thing on the whole for putting paid to Portugal's bullshit 
    Unless it isn't used 
  • edited November 2022
    Dont think there is anyone else who I cant wait to see retire from Football
  • McCoist desperately trying to convince himself that it wasn't a dive.
  • Where’s VAR? First it looked like the Portuguese player made deliberate head contact with the Ghanaian, but the Ghanaian was the only one to get a card, and then that pen should definitely have been reviewed. Looked like a clear dive to me. 
  • Jojo gets a shoutout!