Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• edited November 2022
    My go-to reporter for all things VAR is Dale Johnson. He’s used the word “meaningless” to describe the above still.

He is suggesting that the image is effectively ~fake news~ as it’s been created retrospectively with a less than perfect camera angle on a marginal decision, compared to FIFA who are paying millions to have this done with artificial intelligence.

His point of view is that the semi-automated technology used is completely free of human decision making, including understanding which defender is the last defender. And this the system is going to be more reliable than someone drawing some lines on a dodgy still image after the fact.

The computer said NO. Welcome to CL, David Walliams.
    So you don't think there can be mistakes with technology?

That goal being given offside is a joke and makes a mockery of football. Anyone who watched that in real time on TV knows the only person offside was Messi. 
    The positive from the 'offside' was the drama of the two good goals from Saudi Arabia and the shock victory.

Argentina will still get to 6 points and Qualify so no real harm done plus it gave us an exciting match. 
    The ‘computer’ in this instance has gone through rigorous testing and used in trials at other tournaments prior to being rolled out here in the World Cup.

To assume the system somehow missed the defender on the near side is almost insulting to the mega-intelligent people behind the technology. 

It’s been retweeted as fact so many times on Twitter at this point that it would almost be nice to have an official statement released. But the chances of that are little to none.

Anyway, go ahead and let your confirmation bias run riot. It’s absolutely conclusively offside from a dodgy snapshot and some hand drawn lines.

Anyone who thinks anything but the simplest computer programme, e.g. one that adds 2 and 2,  can't have errors and is infallible is delusional.  Just ask those sub-post office managers.

I'm not saying this programme isn't good but no amount of rigorous testing makes it perfect.
    Of course it’s not 100%, nothing ever is, but it’s going to be very very close. Or they would’ve thrown this out in favour of sticking with having the video officials drawing the lines manually as before.

Computers are not perfect and can throw up errors, but we’re not comparing computers to 100%, we’re comparing them to humans. 

When the alternative is human error, I think I know which is going to be correct more often over time!

I was particularly responding to this "To assume the system somehow missed the defender on the near side is almost insulting to the mega-intelligent people behind the technology.".  To assume a programme couldn't miss the defender is hubris of the highest order on the part of the people behind the technology and, by extension, anyone who supports them uncritically because they're 'mega-intelligent' (which sounds like something Trump would come up with).

Ok I suppose it’s possible? I haven’t looked at the inner working of this automated system to tell you exactly how it works and determines where it draws the offside line.

However I’d be shocked if it wasn’t one of the first edge cases that they tested. It wasn’t a particular complicated situation for a computer to handle…

Where I could see the technology cocking up is a situation like the offside in the Ecuador match. There were a lot of odd variables involved in that particular incident. 

But for something as straight forward as picking up which defender is actually the closest to their own goal line, the technology wouldn’t be fit for purpose if it failed at that first huddle.

Sorry my vocab isn’t up to scratch. 
  • Germany Japan aint gonna be goalless!
    Ha. Now you've jinxed it!
    What odds on a 0-0 please? lol
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Germany Japan aint gonna be goalless!

You can have 20.00 on the Betfair Exchange. There used to be a much used system where some backers would back at that sort of price and then trade out after 20 minutes. Providing there hadn't been a goal of course.
  • edited November 2022
    That German team doesn't look quite as strong as it used to. Had never even heard of Schlotterbeck.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Germany Japan aint gonna be goalless!
    Yes indeed, but the way Japan play, they look like they’re either going to score 4 or concede 4. It’s like they’re playing goal rush!

cue boring 0-0 now…
  • Germany's young star, Jamal Musiala, when at Chelsea, played for England's youth teams and later for the U21s. He was educated at Whitgift School, Croydon, as was Callum Hudson-Odoi. One is at the World Cup for Germany and the other is also playing in Germany but rejected the opportunity to play for Ghana despite not being picked by England. 
  • edited November 2022
    I make it the same amount of goals after 9 games (22) as in the Russia 2018
  • I make it the same amount of goals after 9 games (22) as in the Russia 2018
    Eight in one game helps :)
  • bobmunro said:
    I make it the same amount of goals after 9 games (22) as in the Russia 2018
    Eight in one game helps :)
    13 goals in 2 games!
  • Argh... Japan have started so well, why has he gone early
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm happy for Germany to reinvent themselves, as penalty shootout losers
  • That goalkeeping to give away the penalty, dear oh dear.
    Charltonised 
  • se9addick said:
    Not minding all these draws (Unless England get involved), as its making the Groups really interesting
    I took the day off to watch the football (have holiday I need to use up before 31/12) so I don’t want any more 0-0’s thanks! 
    The Japan keeper felt sorry for you, that's the only explanation for his play  :D
  • edited November 2022
    Can't believe the linesman didn't raise his flag for that German second "goal" - he wasted everybody's time there, it wasn't even close
  • Roy Keen bang on the money why It took so long to disallow Haverts goal gawd knows it was as clear an offside as you’d ever see 🤷‍♂️.
    Should have played Daniel Schmidt in goal instead
  • Musiala looking very good again
  • Germany don't look as commanding at the back without Klaus Augenthaler. They're lacking some potency up front too having failed to find a suitable replacement for Bierhoff.
  • Japan pressing but leaving themselves open at the back 
  • Sponsored links:

• How did the Japan player miss on the rebound?
  • Bloody hell, these two couldnt be relied on to finish their dinner
  • Omg Japan that is shocking
  • I think the first shot is an incredible save from Neur but the second chance is a terrible miss
  • edited November 2022
    FINALLY - Japan deserve that
  • 1 1
    Kin eck 
  • Well played Japan that was coming Germans were looking flaky 😁

• Wow - superb!!!