Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• Someone needs to nobble Mbappe before we get France in the quarter finals, if we get that far.
  • edited November 2022
    philcafc said:
    Someone needs to nobble Mbappe before we get France in the quarter finals, if we get that far.
    We'll need Kyle Walker back if he's playing - Only player who could probably keep up with him
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    The ITV co-commentator seems to have forgotten his job
    To blow smoke up Bale's arse?

Think he is doing a good job of it tbf.

Iran give both of these teams a game.
    You're gonna get a shock at how bad Iran are. 
    Out of interest, have you seen Iran against anyone but England? 
    Was it not rather a case of England being class?
  • France look pretty good so far....
  • So worst teams of the Tournament so far - Qatar | Iran | Australia?
    I would probably still say Qatar. Iran were playing against a decent team and never seemed to recover from the situation with their ‘keeper. Australia are playing against the current world champions. Some of Qatar’s football genuinely wouldn’t have looked out of place in a League One match and opposition was decent but not amazing. 
  • Decent watch that one. 

Can’t be dealing with the forced Wales hate. Will always want them to win when not against England. 
    Why do you think it's forced? Why should I force myself to like them? I have absolutely no connection or affinity to them at all. The only feeble connection that I can think of was that my mother was evacuated there during the war. She was separated from her sister at 4 years old and was unhappy in the family she lived with.

Then there's the 2016 celebrations and Gunter.

Forced?!

• Why does every game have so much injury time 
  • Sponsored links:

• OKgo out.

Yes, I get that's it's annoying when some tiny little country acts like you should care about them as rivals when you're far more interested in rivalries with Germany, France and perhaps Scotland. Completely fair. I'd just ask you to understand that, from a neutral perspective, a major European country getting knocked out by Iceland was objectively funny. Sorry, but not sorry.
    Great post but I don't accept the last bit.
    It's not the Welsh team cheering on Iceland that bothers me, it's the recording of it and gladly putting it out there.

I don't buy this 'banter' excuse.
    I live in France and always cheer on the opposition but in private.
     I would never openly celebrate the opposition, I just keep it to myself. It's just a question of respect and keeping up good relations.
  • robroy said:
    Why does every game have so much injury time 
    FIFA have asked 4th officials to actually tot up time missed, wasted etc properly this tournament.
  • Reported Kane to have a scan on his ankle. Hopefully just a precaution.
  • France beating Australia in football is a reminder than they are the current silver medal holders in Olympic cricket as well. While Australia has never medalled.

Poland v Mexico is the only game so far to go less than 100 minutes.

• OKgo out.

Yes, I get that's it's annoying when some tiny little country acts like you should care about them as rivals when you're far more interested in rivalries with Germany, France and perhaps Scotland. Completely fair. I'd just ask you to understand that, from a neutral perspective, a major European country getting knocked out by Iceland was objectively funny. Sorry, but not sorry.
    Great post but I don't accept the last bit.
    It's not the Welsh team cheering on Iceland that bothers me, it's the recording of it and gladly putting it out there.

I don't buy this 'banter' excuse.
    I live in France and always cheer on the opposition but in private.
     I would never openly celebrate the opposition, I just keep it to myself. It's just a question of respect and keeping up good relations.
    Interesting you living in France and supporting whoever they’re playing Jimmy.  Feel the same way about NZ with the odd boxing exception.  It’s always been a puzzle for family given that I’ve been over here for 60 years.  But I always wonder if they would stop supporting the All Blacks if they lived in England.
  • edited November 2022
    Martinez goal for Argentina's goal should have been allowed to make it 2-0 as VAR tracked the wrong defender according to a Spanish Journalist. When I saw it in normal time I was convinced the only player offside was Messi. They never showed the player at the bottom of the screen.
  • edited November 2022
    My go-to reporter for all things VAR is Dale Johnson. He’s used the word “meaningless” to describe the above still.

He is suggesting that the image is effectively ~fake news~ as it’s been created retrospectively with a less than perfect camera angle on a marginal decision, compared to FIFA who are paying millions to have this done with artificial intelligence.

His point of view is that the semi-automated technology used is completely free of human decision making, including understanding which defender is the last defender. And this the system is going to be more reliable than someone drawing some lines on a dodgy still image after the fact.
  • edited November 2022
    (Edited to remove tweet that was taken down due to copyright)

Watch the Saudi goals with Arabic commentary if you can. Unbelievable passion. That’s what the World Cup is all about.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2022
    cafctom said:
    Was at France-Australia. 

France looked very comfortable, and the pace of Mbappe in the flesh is absolutely frightening. It’s like watching a PlayStation game. 

Weird atmosphere, and was a bit flat. Aussies didn’t have many numbers and the French support was pretty tame as soon as it was clear that they were going to run away with it.

Pretty thrilled to have seen both Messi and Mbappe score on the same day, but in different matches!

I’m so jealous! Mbappe was fantastic, must have been amazing to see him in the flesh. Plus you saw what one paper here back home is describing as the biggest upset in World Cup history (Saudis beating Argentina, not France beating Australia!). 
  • Cracking up at the guy in the red t-shirt near the front casually walking past as though he didn't know where he was.

Impressive crowd though given that must've been about 6-7am in Australia.
  • cafctom said:
    se9addick said:
    cafctom said:
    Was at France-Australia. 

France looked very comfortable, and the pace of Mbappe in the flesh is absolutely frightening. It’s like watching a PlayStation game. 

Weird atmosphere, and was a bit flat. Aussies didn’t have many numbers and the French support was pretty tame as soon as it was clear that they were going to run away with it.

Pretty thrilled to have seen both Messi and Mbappe score on the same day, but in different matches!

I’m so jealous! Mbappe was fantastic, must have been amazing to see him in the flesh. Plus you saw what one paper here back home is describing as the highest upset in World Cup history (Saudis beating Argentina, not France beating Australia!). 
    The Saudi/Argentina game is something that will live with me forever. 

The Saudi support was absolutely huge, and after the game I managed to get into their post match party right next to the stadium. It was fantastic.

Saw the Saudi flag lit up on two of the towers near my apartment last night:

Weren’t the Saudi’s and Qatar close to war not so long ago? Middle East is a crazy place! Good effort getting into the post game party, those sorts of experiences are what it’s all about. 
  • edited November 2022
    My go-to reporter for all things VAR is Dale Johnson. He’s used the word “meaningless” to describe the above still.

He is suggesting that the image is effectively ~fake news~ as it’s been created retrospectively with a less than perfect camera angle on a marginal decision, compared to FIFA who are paying millions to have this done with artificial intelligence.

His point of view is that the semi-automated technology used is completely free of human decision making, including understanding which defender is the last defender. And this the system is going to be more reliable than someone drawing some lines on a dodgy still image after the fact.

The computer said NO. Welcome to CL, David Walliams.
    So you don't think there can be mistakes with technology?

That goal being given offside is a joke and makes a mockery of football. Anyone who watched that in real time on TV knows the only person offside was Messi. 
    The positive from the 'offside' was the drama of the two good goals from Saudi Arabia and the shock victory.

Argentina will still get to 6 points and Qualify so no real harm done plus it gave us an exciting match. 
  • edited November 2022

The computer said NO. Welcome to CL, David Walliams.
    So you don't think there can be mistakes with technology?

That goal being given offside is a joke and makes a mockery of football. Anyone who watched that in real time on TV knows the only person offside was Messi. 
    The positive from the 'offside' was the drama of the two good goals from Saudi Arabia and the shock victory.

Argentina will still get to 6 points and Qualify so no real harm done plus it gave us an exciting match. 
    The ‘computer’ in this instance has gone through rigorous testing and used in trials at other tournaments prior to being rolled out here in the World Cup.

To assume the system somehow missed the defender on the near side is almost insulting to the mega-intelligent people behind the technology. 

It’s been retweeted as fact so many times on Twitter at this point that it would almost be nice to have an official statement released. But the chances of that are little to none.

Anyway, go ahead and let your confirmation bias run riot. It’s absolutely conclusively offside from a dodgy snapshot and some hand drawn lines.
  • edited November 2022
    I'm going more by what I saw in real time with the camera in a good position than the picture by the journalist. If you think the graphic being shown on TV where all the other defenders are missing is adequate then fine; It looks like a graphic for under 5's.

I have always been a supporter of VAR but just hate seeing offsides given when they are level or armpits which to my knowledge has never been used to score a goal in the history of football which I appreciate is down to the human input with AI.