Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• How are people still arguing over that decision. If the same ball was inbetween the posts, then Goal line technology would say 'No goal'. The ball is still in play. End of.
    Agreed it's super super close and the right decision was made , if they'd ruled the goal out wrongly and the Germans benefitted we'd all be doing our nut ten times more .
    I suppose its the slowness of the evidence being produced that creates conspiracy theories but most importantly , terry fuckwit football fan may now realise just because the base of the ball is off the pitch and not touching paint the ball can still be in play !!
  • edited December 2022
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Germany and Denmark proving we got a bye to the final in the euros as well as the last World Cup to the final 
    yeah...  because teams are always as good as they were 4 years previously... lol

you forgot about Belgium in our group btw ;) bye for the whole tournament right??
    Don’t think we played Germany and Denmark 4 years ago 
    Belgium were good 4 years ago
    all the other shit we played were pony 4 years ago 
    so.. you agree with me then..? 

teams being good in the past doesn't = good now.

glad we cleared that up
    I’m saying teams from 4 years ago we played were pony then (Belgium apart) 
    and teams last year in euros were pony and we duly dispatched all the pony teams 
    except Croatia 4 years ago 
    and if it helps a team is likely to be nearer to how they were  17 months on rather than 53 months on
    You can only beat what's in front of you.

We played Sweden in 2018 because Germany messed up in their group, Croatia because they were better than Argentina, Denmark last year because Netherlands lost in their part of the draw.

By the very fact those types of teams reached QFs, Semis, they were better than those that failed to.
    And we are better than all other London teams looking at the league cup .

better teams do mess up and don’t go as far as others 
    who would we rather in our side of the group Spain or Japan🤷‍♂️
    as ever we want the better teams to not qualify and I’d say I’d prefer to play Japan over Germany.

and of course we can only beat who we play but there are easier draws and we certainly had and took advantage of them last two tourneys , Croatia apart , who I believe everyone would take , at that point in time , forever for a World Cup semi final opponent forever …

who we all cheering on in France v Poland … exactly 

You can’t be comparing big teams performances in the league cup and the World Cup, unless Germany put out their U21’s last night?
    I'm saying the luck of the draw plays its part and we have had an easy draw in the last two tourneys and good teams can lose 
    But that's just tournament football, isn't it?

The "Best" team doesn't always win, in the same way you could make a much clearer case for the best team winning a league over the course of a season.

Some of it is the luck of the draw, some of it is others misfortune, but if you get to a final you get to a final and its not to be sniffed at - particularly if you haven't gotten to one in 50+ years!

Just like M*llw*lls trip to the FA Cup final that time. The easiest and spawniest draws ever, but they still got there. (And got tonked!)
    agreed , we've been very lucky with our draws last two tourneys and took nearly full advantage 

I've said we've had easy draws , thats it , not we're shit or bad 

as for the scum you may or may not know but it's Scott cnuting Parkers fault and that would have been our spawny flukey non decent team draw 
    The year they reached the final and made Europe our high flying Premiership team lost to Gillingham in the third round of the FA Cup who then in the fourth round lost to Burnley who then lost to the scum in the 5th round and the rest is history 
    sickening thought that one of our best ever teams had that opportunity and naused it which enabled one of the most sickening runs in FA Cup history to take place ... another reason to dislike Parker 
    But we already know they would've beat us if we'd played them anyway ........ :-(

So it sounds' like Scott Parker's a hero for saving us from the agony!
    Surely when we were good we would have beaten them , we just never played them ... i think we even beat them 1-4 at Zampa London Fields stadium in a pre season friendly when we were a Prem team ...
    ok maybe not
  • Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Germany and Denmark proving we got a bye to the final in the euros as well as the last World Cup to the final 
    yeah...  because teams are always as good as they were 4 years previously... lol

you forgot about Belgium in our group btw ;) bye for the whole tournament right??
    Don’t think we played Germany and Denmark 4 years ago 
    Belgium were good 4 years ago
    all the other shit we played were pony 4 years ago 
    so.. you agree with me then..? 

teams being good in the past doesn't = good now.

glad we cleared that up
    I’m saying teams from 4 years ago we played were pony then (Belgium apart) 
    and teams last year in euros were pony and we duly dispatched all the pony teams 
    except Croatia 4 years ago 
    and if it helps a team is likely to be nearer to how they were  17 months on rather than 53 months on
    You can only beat what's in front of you.

We played Sweden in 2018 because Germany messed up in their group, Croatia because they were better than Argentina, Denmark last year because Netherlands lost in their part of the draw.

By the very fact those types of teams reached QFs, Semis, they were better than those that failed to.
    And we are better than all other London teams looking at the league cup .

better teams do mess up and don’t go as far as others 
    who would we rather in our side of the group Spain or Japan🤷‍♂️
    as ever we want the better teams to not qualify and I’d say I’d prefer to play Japan over Germany.

and of course we can only beat who we play but there are easier draws and we certainly had and took advantage of them last two tourneys , Croatia apart , who I believe everyone would take , at that point in time , forever for a World Cup semi final opponent forever …

who we all cheering on in France v Poland … exactly 

You can’t be comparing big teams performances in the league cup and the World Cup, unless Germany put out their U21’s last night?
    I'm saying the luck of the draw plays its part and we have had an easy draw in the last two tourneys and good teams can lose 
    But that's just tournament football, isn't it?

The "Best" team doesn't always win, in the same way you could make a much clearer case for the best team winning a league over the course of a season.

Some of it is the luck of the draw, some of it is others misfortune, but if you get to a final you get to a final and its not to be sniffed at - particularly if you haven't gotten to one in 50+ years!

Just like M*llw*lls trip to the FA Cup final that time. The easiest and spawniest draws ever, but they still got there. (And got tonked!)
    agreed , we've been very lucky with our draws last two tourneys and took nearly full advantage 

I've said we've had easy draws , thats it , not we're shit or bad 

as for the scum you may or may not know but it's Scott cnuting Parkers fault and that would have been our spawny flukey non decent team draw 
    The year they reached the final and made Europe our high flying Premiership team lost to Gillingham in the third round of the FA Cup who then in the fourth round lost to Burnley who then lost to the scum in the 5th round and the rest is history 
    sickening thought that one of our best ever teams had that opportunity and naused it which enabled one of the most sickening runs in FA Cup history to take place ... another reason to dislike Parker 
    But we already know they would've beat us if we'd played them anyway ........ :-(

So it sounds' like Scott Parker's a hero for saving us from the agony!
    Surely when we were good we would have beaten them , we just never played them ... i think we even beat them 1-4 at Zampa London Fields stadium in a pre season friendly when we were a Prem team ...
    ok maybe now
    There's no "surely" about it. You know it, I know it, we all know it - they would've dicked us.

Scott Parker is a hero for saving us from our fate.
  • Are people saying the ball was in play purely because it's Germany?  

Ive watched it back 10 times & I still can't see how that ball isn't out of play😂😂

I'm not complaining though!
  • Also wondering if firstly.Suarez will start, and secondly if he does, how long it'll take for someone to boot him up in the air.
  • edited December 2022
    Are people saying the ball was in play purely because it's Germany?  

Ive watched it back 10 times & I still can't see how that ball isn't out of play😂😂

No I'm saying it was in play because the whole ball didn't cross the whole line.

It's like one of those tennis challenges that they show and it was so close to being out It's crazy, but it's still in.
  • edited December 2022
    Re' The ball over / not over the line - The ball was clearly out to the naked eye (first glance and without replay), but clearly in play to modern technology.

Result - Correct decision, goal stands, bye bye Germany

Nb - all parties enter these games knowing the rules and the methods used to determine decisions, whatever they be.

Nb2 - Still think the Argies pen in their game against the Poles was a very dubious VAR decision.
  • Ball in, ball out, ball out but 'shadowing the line' if seen from space. Decision has been made, the Germans go home and we all move on. What we do know is that there are going to be some more weird and wonderful 'interventions' by the wizards of VAR before this competition is done.
  • Clearly some people dont understand how football works, if the ball is even in line with the line and there is no gap, its still in. Christ it's bad enough they went on about it last night without the pictures to back it up, but since we have the pictures now how are people still not getting it? 

As VG said, if it was over the goal line, i doubt there would be any doubt (NO GOAL) 
  • Sponsored links:

• If they're going to use goal line technology to monitor whether the ball crosses the line outside of the goalmouth, they need to automate the process better to give a speedier answer, with images issues to show why, and I'm sure that will be the next change. It should be just like Hawkeye line calls in tennis.
  • That has to be as tight as when Liverpool played @ the Etihad a few years ago, and made a clearance on the line

Technically it is still in play, just. However I never seen it given by any official in my entire live before, as still in play.

In the history of Football from the Dog and Duck 2nd team to the World Cup that is given as out of play. No if's or but's. 
    Other than all the occasions there have been genuine error regarding the ball being in or out?

if you think the entire ball was over the line, you need an eye test. 

If you can't see the whole of the ball was over the line you need a Labrador. It was the sphere of the outer part of the ball that was deemed in play. Two different games now, with and without technology.

Spent to much time at football grounds as spectator to manager to know that decision would create riots especially in lower league football. 

Serves me right as a VAR fan but my complaint is with the rule makers as much as 'the computer said no' 

We move on...
  • If they're going to use goal line technology to monitor whether the ball crosses the line outside of the goalmouth, they need to automate the process better to give a speedier answer, with images issues to show why, and I'm sure that will be the next change. It should be just like Hawkeye line calls in tennis.
    You can not be serious!
  • edited December 2022
    We move on to the last day of  group deciders with no obvious favourites in a tournament showing that how to use 16 players is paramount  with sport science and keeping players at their optimum sharpness.

Despite saying England would go out in the Quarter finals, this England squad is looking one of the strongest in this World Cup.
    Love to be proved wrong but Harry Kane will need to find his scoring boots for England to go deep into the competition as well as his assists. We don't rely on one player to score and France did win the WC with Giroud playing well but failing to score but  now is where Kane needs to score in the KO rounds where one goal of quality can help to progress.
  • Gribbo said:
    If they're going to use goal line technology to monitor whether the ball crosses the line outside of the goalmouth, they need to automate the process better to give a speedier answer, with images issues to show why, and I'm sure that will be the next change. It should be just like Hawkeye line calls in tennis.
    You can not be serious!
    The Japanese players claimed there was chalk dust on the ball, as it was on the line!
  • That has to be as tight as when Liverpool played @ the Etihad a few years ago, and made a clearance on the line

Technically it is still in play, just. However I never seen it given by any official in my entire live before, as still in play.

In the history of Football from the Dog and Duck 2nd team to the World Cup that is given as out of play. No if's or but's. 
    Other than all the occasions there have been genuine error regarding the ball being in or out?

if you think the entire ball was over the line, you need an eye test. 

If you can't see the whole of the ball was over the line you need a Labrador. It was the sphere of the outer part of the ball that was deemed in play. Two different games now, with and without technology.

Spent to much time at football grounds as spectator to manager to know that decision would create riots especially in lower league football. 

Serves me right as a VAR fan but my complaint is with the rule makers as much as 'the computer said no' 

We move on...
    You’ve literally just said the ball was out and the ball was in in the same paragraph. 

The outer sphere is part of the ball, so it was in, the fact some linos would have - quite understandably - got that decision wrong, doesn’t change the fact it wasn’t over line. 
  • Are people saying the ball was in play purely because it's Germany?  

Glasses and Lens thickness  AVForums
  • I initially held the view that the ball was in, because of the meticulous analysis VAR/goal line tech had carried out on it. And that still stands.

However, I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t something that feels a bit off about it. 

I’m not a VAR fan whatsoever, and will often get the hump if a decision is made on the basis of someone being offside by a toenail. Is this not just an inverted version of that?
  • Sponsored links:

• But are they moaning about his lack of goals or his lack of goals having an effect on the team?
  • France won the last World Cup and Giroud didnt score a single goal. People are clueless.
    Kane didnt score until the last 16 of the Euros, and almost won the Golden Boot
  • edited December 2022
    Dave2l said:
    It does wind me up how much people moan about Kane. Simon Jordans getting in on it now.

He was the top goalscorer at the 2018 World cup

Sure, he does drop deep and he does have some dry patches of no goals.

That happens to every single forward!

Dropping deep is not a problem when you have a squad with our quality in it. Actually,  it works better for us and its another player to give everyone else useful service.

It also makes Kane difficult for CBs to mark and they can get overwhelmed. 

We've scored 9 goals and he's assisted 4 of them

Kane has more to his game then just goals. Overall, I personally see it as a benefit to the starting 11
    World Cups/major tournaments in general do bring out very extreme and knee jerk opinions. Combine that with the English public’s thirst for a scapegoat and the outcome is nonsense such as people wanting to drop one of the best strikers in the world from the team.

I honestly think some pundits have to come out with such stuff in desperation to be heard - whether it makes sense or not.

TalkSport is the absolute epitome of garbage when it comes to that. 
  • Dave2l said:
    It does wind me up how much people moan about Kane. Simon Jordans getting in on it now.

He was the top goalscorer at the 2018 World cup

Sure, he does drop deep and he does have some dry patches of no goals.

That happens to every single forward!

Dropping deep is not a problem when you have a squad with our quality in it. Actually,  it works better for us and its another player to give everyone else useful service.

It also makes Kane difficult for CBs to mark and they can get overwhelmed. 

We've scored 9 goals and he's assisted 4 of them

Kane has more to his game then just goals. Overall, I personally see it as a benefit to the starting 11
    Exactly. Would we have scored all these goals without Kane in the pitch? It is hard to make that case
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Dave2l said:
    It does wind me up how much people moan about Kane.
    Its not just moaning.  Social media, especially Faceache, is full of absolute pure hatred of him.
    I'm sorry, I just dont get it.  I understand Arsenal fans having a go... but its one thing after another.  He only scores pens, he is one dimensional, he dives, he backs in and will break someone's neck, he doesn't lead the line, he has no pace, he drops too deep, he speaks with an impediment...anything they can find to have a go at him, they'll do it.

Kane is the most complete centre-forward we've had and we're lucky to have him.  He would walk into any team in the PL and would walk into most International sides yet the stick he gets is outrageous.
    Negativity on Social Media platforms seems to sell better

They probably dont even believe what they're coming out with
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Dave2l said:
    It does wind me up how much people moan about Kane.
    Its not just moaning.  Social media, especially Faceache, is full of absolute pure hatred of him.
    I'm sorry, I just dont get it.  I understand Arsenal fans having a go... but its one thing after another.  He only scores pens, he is one dimensional, he dives, he backs in and will break someone's neck, he doesn't lead the line, he has no pace, he drops too deep, he speaks with an impediment...anything they can find to have a go at him, they'll do it.

Kane is the most complete centre-forward we've had and we're lucky to have him.  He would walk into any team in the PL and would walk into most International sides yet the stick he gets is outrageous.
    I think Rooney was not dissimilar in terms of dropping deep and creating, and I remember him getting grief as well. But I'll take a WC semi final and European final (both went to the absolute wire) and another WC knockout stage with Kane at the helm at say thank you very much
  • edited December 2022
    We scored 12-goals @ the 2018 World Cup - Kane scored six of them
    We scored 11-goals @ Euro 2020 (inc. an own goal) - Kane scored four of them

We've already scored nine goals this tournament, without any from Harry - If he can now chip in with his 35-50% of goals that he scored at those two Tournaments, could argue we're going all the way - If he doesn't then perhaps playing him for England (like he does for Spurs) is the key that Southgate has been missing.

It was certainly an over-reliance on Kane four years ago that saw us missing out on that Final