Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• What a night of football ! Personally chuffed for Japan I think they deserved to go through for the performances they have put in during the group matches.
    Spain vrs Morocco might be a tasty match btw would surprise me if Morocco won
  • Wouldn't 
  • The only stat that ultimately matters in football is the goals
  • edited December 2022
    Even technology has limitations. The frequency and timing of measurement, margin for error in equipment etc. Nothing is 100% perfect. Goal line technology is definitely more accurate and reliable than a linesman. Even with tech, in really tight situations like that, you might get a wrong call. But it's the most accurate way we currently have to deciding if a ball has crossed the goal/byline or not, so we have to accept the call it makes.

I always find it weird, because one of the reasons some people say they don't want technology aiding officials it is removes the chance for random wrong decisions and talking points after a match. But when we get one of those kinds of calls with the tech, everyone piles on the hate for VAR.
  • A great day for the World Cup. Yesterday was incredibly exciting, but ended with a terrible Poland team squeaking through, whereas today delivered shock exits.

Tomorrow's groups look less exciting, with the big teams already through, so going to Charlton is an easier decision!
  • Germany and Denmark proving we got a bye to the final in the euros as well as the last World Cup to the final 
    yeah...  because teams are always as good as they were 4 years previously... lol

you forgot about Belgium in our group btw ;) bye for the whole tournament right??
    Don’t think we played Germany and Denmark 4 years ago 
    Belgium were good 4 years ago
    all the other shit we played were pony 4 years ago 
    so.. you agree with me then..? 

teams being good in the past doesn't = good now.

glad we cleared that up
    I’m saying teams from 4 years ago we played were pony then (Belgium apart) 
    and teams last year in euros were pony and we duly dispatched all the pony teams 
    except Croatia 4 years ago 
    and if it helps a team is likely to be nearer to how they were  17 months on rather than 53 months on
  • Germany and Denmark proving we got a bye to the final in the euros as well as the last World Cup to the final 
    yeah...  because teams are always as good as they were 4 years previously... lol

you forgot about Belgium in our group btw ;) bye for the whole tournament right??

glad we cleared that up
    and teams last year in euros were pony and we duly dispatched all the pony teams 
    and if it helps a team is likely to be nearer to how they were  17 months on rather than 53 months on
    Yeah you're right. England should have just trounced everyone based on performances of those teams 18 months later in a completely different tournament on another continent.

• Sponsored links:

• Hard to see Germany and Spain not winning tonight. Japan will be cursing not beating Costa Rica, that result threw Germany a lifeline, which I'm sure they'll take.
    Two unlikely upsets knocks out both Spain and Germany...
    Posted this three hours ago - the double was about 250/1, and it looked on for a couple of minutes in that second half!
  • Is there a lot of controversy over in Germany @GermanAddick ?

glad we cleared that up
    I've never heard such a load of old cobblers.

glad we cleared that up
    You can only beat what's in front of you.

We played Sweden in 2018 because Germany messed up in their group, Croatia because they were better than Argentina, Denmark last year because Netherlands lost in their part of the draw.

By the very fact those types of teams reached QFs, Semis, they were better than those that failed to.
  • edited December 2022

I'll guess Brazil v Uruguay in the top half and Portugal v Switzerland at the bottom.

Shaping up to be a quite strong QF line-up, barring any further shocks or upsets, which is silly to assume the way the World Cup goes.
  • edited December 2022
    I reckon Ghana will go through, they've had more about them than Uruguay so far.
  • Regarding the Japan goal.

When taking a corner the linesman always insist that the ball has to be touching the line.
  • Whichever linesman you're talking about, apparently he's wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Shots on target would encourage teams to just hit lots of speculative "backpass" style shots
    If it looks like it could go down to shots on target, the last 10+ minutes of the games could become farcical 
    Even if the shots are speculative, a team still has to get up the pitch to take them, which in itself opens the game up.

It would be far less farcical than defending a draw to go through on penalties. Italy did that twice in four games to become Champions last year. 

I think a 'goalkeeper touches' count would make the end of drawn knockout games really exciting. Teams would be so afraid of defending and they'd be far fewer backpasses to the goalkeeper.

• Does anyone else find it surprising that FIFA didn't just release the still image that VAR would've used to show the ball was in? They do for offsides so why not this?

Could've saved about 15 minutes discussion post-match by doing that.

• Classic.
  • edited December 2022
    Germany and Denmark proving we got a bye to the final in the euros as well as the last World Cup to the final 

glad we cleared that up
    You can only beat what's in front of you.

We played Sweden in 2018 because Germany messed up in their group, Croatia because they were better than Argentina, Denmark last year because Netherlands lost in their part of the draw.

By the very fact those types of teams reached QFs, Semis, they were better than those that failed to.
    And we are better than all other London teams looking at the league cup .

better teams do mess up and don’t go as far as others 
    who would we rather in our side of the group Spain or Japan🤷‍♂️
    as ever we want the better teams to not qualify and I’d say I’d prefer to play Japan over Germany.

and of course we can only beat who we play but there are easier draws and we certainly had and took advantage of them last two tourneys , Croatia apart , who I believe everyone would take , at that point in time , forever for a World Cup semi final opponent forever …

who we all cheering on in France v Poland … exactly 
  • That has to be as tight as when Liverpool played @ the Etihad a few years ago, and made a clearance on the line

Technically it is still in play, just. However I never seen it given by any official in my entire live before, as still in play.
  • MrOneLung said:
    I had this as one of the most boring games on paper !!!
    Went to Côte d'Ivoire - Serbia & Montenegro in 2006, on the telly the same time as Nederland - Argentina, friend said he'd be watching the latter, assuming great football. 3-2 at my game, sendings off, penalties, a double Golfie, 0-0 snorefest at the other.  You can't assume weak teams will be boring.  If anything, weak defences equals goals.
  • conker said:
    Regarding the Japan goal.

When taking a corner the linesman always insist that the ball has to be touching the line.
    I've seen them to be quite happy with a part of the ball over the line, as per the rules.
  • That has to be as tight as when Liverpool played @ the Etihad a few years ago, and made a clearance on the line

Technically it is still in play, just. However I never seen it given by any official in my entire live before, as still in play.
    Probably because humans couldn't make such a fine judgement.  However, forget about technically, that's what the rules say so it's in play and it's a goal.

Technology has since shown that the Azerbaijani / Soviet linesman almost certainly got it wrong in '66, but who cares?  That's two close calls that have resulted in Germany not winning the World Cup so it's a result on both fronts.
  • Makes me laugh when pundits complain about VAR decisions

Remember them complaining before it was introduced saying that it would take away the talking points
    No talking points = no need for pundits.