Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FIFA World Cup - Qatar 2022

Comments

• Off_it said:
    Chunes said:
    Considering the fact that we're still looking at it more than an hour later and still can't agree, I'm not sure what decision VAR was supposed to come to
    Isnt it there to correct clear and obvious errors? 

Not exactly clearly or obviously in or out, so why overall the on field decision?
    That picture is clear - the ball's in play.  If you had a camera immediately in line with the goal (why isn't it?), it would show it even more in play.
  • I would expect an England player to do the same in that situation. 

No different to fouling a player and giving away a penalty. 
  • conker said:
    Regarding the Japan goal.

When taking a corner the linesman always insist that the ball has to be touching the line.
    Except they don’t 
  • After the Lampard goal that never was the Germans have absolutely no fucking right to moan about anything.
  • edited December 2022
    That has to be as tight as when Liverpool played @ the Etihad a few years ago, and made a clearance on the line

Technically it is still in play, just. However I never seen it given by any official in my entire live before, as still in play.

In the history of Football from the Dog and Duck 2nd team to the World Cup that is given as out of play. No if's or but's. 
  • To coin the words of the great Barry Davies…. We can talk about this into the cows come home:

Where are the Germans? And frankly - who cares.
  • I know Suarez is a twat, but i don't understand why so much has been made about this comment.  

He's absolutely right!!
  • Fair play to him, why should he apologise? He did what he could to give his country a chance and would no doubt do it again. Would a defender get grief for a foul on the last man that gave a penalty away?

It only became an issue because Gyan missed the penalty, so Ghana should blame him not Suarez.
  • Great drama, what's not to like? Crazy they are even thinking of changing the format to groups of 3. 

For a few minutes it looked like possibly both Spain and Germany were going out, it would have been a brucie bonus. Although very happy and funny Germany have gone! Also, the first half literally was all Spain, i was thinking they are going to be tough to stop and then all of a sudden Japan score and a game changer.

It's really stupid, everyone and the commentators were going mad about the ball going over the line, as soon as the birds eye view was shared it should have been end of discussion. I swear half the people don't even know that even if the ball is directly above. even in line with the line it's not out, based on last night's reactions. 

I love football, this tournament has shown anything can happen so why not England? In a one-off game we can beat anyone, we just need to avoid the USA performance from now where we let them dictate the play and we weren't at the races. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Germany and Denmark proving we got a bye to the final in the euros as well as the last World Cup to the final 
    yeah...  because teams are always as good as they were 4 years previously... lol

you forgot about Belgium in our group btw ;) bye for the whole tournament right??
    Don’t think we played Germany and Denmark 4 years ago 
    Belgium were good 4 years ago
    all the other shit we played were pony 4 years ago 
    so.. you agree with me then..? 

teams being good in the past doesn't = good now.

glad we cleared that up
    I’m saying teams from 4 years ago we played were pony then (Belgium apart) 
    and teams last year in euros were pony and we duly dispatched all the pony teams 
    except Croatia 4 years ago 
    and if it helps a team is likely to be nearer to how they were  17 months on rather than 53 months on
    You can only beat what's in front of you.

We played Sweden in 2018 because Germany messed up in their group, Croatia because they were better than Argentina, Denmark last year because Netherlands lost in their part of the draw.

By the very fact those types of teams reached QFs, Semis, they were better than those that failed to.
    And we are better than all other London teams looking at the league cup .

better teams do mess up and don’t go as far as others 
    who would we rather in our side of the group Spain or Japan🤷‍♂️
    as ever we want the better teams to not qualify and I’d say I’d prefer to play Japan over Germany.

and of course we can only beat who we play but there are easier draws and we certainly had and took advantage of them last two tourneys , Croatia apart , who I believe everyone would take , at that point in time , forever for a World Cup semi final opponent forever …

who we all cheering on in France v Poland … exactly 

You can’t be comparing big teams performances in the league cup and the World Cup, unless Germany put out their U21’s last night?
  • Germany and Denmark proving we got a bye to the final in the euros as well as the last World Cup to the final 
    yeah...  because teams are always as good as they were 4 years previously... lol

you forgot about Belgium in our group btw ;) bye for the whole tournament right??

glad we cleared that up
    and teams last year in euros were pony and we duly dispatched all the pony teams 
    and if it helps a team is likely to be nearer to how they were  17 months on rather than 53 months on

We played Sweden in 2018 because Germany messed up in their group, Croatia because they were better than Argentina, Denmark last year because Netherlands lost in their part of the draw.

By the very fact those types of teams reached QFs, Semis, they were better than those that failed to.

as ever we want the better teams to not qualify and I’d say I’d prefer to play Japan over Germany.

and of course we can only beat who we play but there are easier draws and we certainly had and took advantage of them last two tourneys , Croatia apart , who I believe everyone would take , at that point in time , forever for a World Cup semi final opponent forever …

Yeah but you said our knockout games in the euros were byes - that's very different to saying they were "easier" games on paper. A bye means an automatic win. And you based that assumption on results at a different tournament 18 months later.

In other words.. its bollocks.

• Great drama, what's not to like? Crazy they are even thinking of changing the format to groups of 3. 

For a few minutes it looked like possibly both Spain and Germany were going out, it would have been a brucie bonus. Although very happy and funny Germany have gone! Also, the first half literally was all Spain, i was thinking they are going to be tough to stop and then all of a sudden Japan score and a game changer.

It's really stupid, everyone and the commentators were going mad about the ball going over the line, as soon as the birds eye view was shared it should have been end of discussion. I swear half the people don't even know that even if the ball is directly above. even in line with the line it's not out, based on last night's reactions. 

I love football, this tournament has shown anything can happen so why not England? In a one-off game we can beat anyone, we just need to avoid the USA performance from now where we let them dictate the play and we weren't at the races. 
    The only reason they're considering groups of 3 i believe was so not to increase the amount of games teams will play. So instead of the usual 3rd group game, you'd be playing a last 32 knock out tie.

However i think there's a pretty much unanimous opinion that groups of 3 are shit, how is it fair that you have 2 sides playing last knowing what result they need? In some cases a draw will potentially put both teams through so will undoubtedly lead to some dodgy games.

Personally i think FIFA will go with 12 groups of 4. Top 2 through + 8 best third placed sides. It will of course mean an extra knockout round but i think that's better than groups of 3.
  • if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it

however this is FIFA we are talking about here
  • Off_it said:
    Chunes said:
    Considering the fact that we're still looking at it more than an hour later and still can't agree, I'm not sure what decision VAR was supposed to come to
    Isnt it there to correct clear and obvious errors? 

Not exactly clearly or obviously in or out, so why overall the on field decision?
    That picture is clear - the ball's in play.  If you had a camera immediately in line with the goal (why isn't it?), it would show it even more in play.
    Of course it's not "clear"!

As you say, the camera isnt immediately in line with the goal line and who's to say that a split second later the ball hasn't moved a bit further to the right by a millimetre?

"Clear and obvious" error by the officials? I dont think so. 

But hey, as long as the set square techy guys are happy. 
  • Cos they needed the Qatari Intern to whip up the Graphics of course ;) 
  • I believe in sport being what it should be. It's a competition and the rules of the game should stand.

Just because lampards goal didn't count 12 years ago doesn't mean this stupid lazy VAR decision should count and its now ok 

We can laugh at the Germans and it is enjoyable to see them out but the officials always make clear dreadful mistakes.  When is that going to stop?
  • Sponsored links:

glad we cleared that up

You can’t be comparing big teams performances in the league cup and the World Cup, unless Germany put out their U21’s last night?
    I'm saying the luck of the draw plays its part and we have had an easy draw in the last two tourneys and good teams can lose 
  • That has to be as tight as when Liverpool played @ the Etihad a few years ago, and made a clearance on the line

Technically it is still in play, just. However I never seen it given by any official in my entire live before, as still in play.

In the history of Football from the Dog and Duck 2nd team to the World Cup that is given as out of play. No if's or but's. 
    Other than all the occasions there have been genuine error regarding the ball being in or out?

if you think the entire ball was over the line, you need an eye test. 

glad we cleared that up

I'm saying the luck of the draw plays its part and we have had an easy draw in the last two tourneys and good teams can lose 
    But that's just tournament football, isn't it?

The "Best" team doesn't always win, in the same way you could make a much clearer case for the best team winning a league over the course of a season.

Some of it is the luck of the draw, some of it is others misfortune, but if you get to a final you get to a final and its not to be sniffed at - particularly if you haven't gotten to one in 50+ years!

Just like M*llw*lls trip to the FA Cup final that time. The easiest and spawniest draws ever, but they still got there. (And got tonked!)

glad we cleared that up

Yeah but you said our knockout games in the euros were byes - that's very different to saying they were "easier" games on paper. A bye means an automatic win. And you based that assumption on results at a different tournament 18 months later.

in the knockout stage of the euros we had as pony a german team as there has been in our lifetimes
    ukraine in quarters , yes that one that lost to Wales
    Denmark in the semis .. come on they are as easy as we could wish for

i mean are you gonna take things literally,  please don't , of course we've had super easy draws last two tourneys and have performed decent enough , i think we've had the luck of the draw and took advantage till the failure in euros final and losing to croatia in a world cup semi 

glad we cleared that up

in the knockout stage of the euros we had as pony a german team as there has been in our lifetimes
    ukraine in quarters , yes that one that lost to Wales
    Denmark in the semis .. come on they are as easy as we could wish for

i mean are you gonna take things literally,  please don't , of course we've had super easy draws last two tourneys and have performed decent enough , i think we've had the luck of the draw and took advantage till the failure in euros final and losing to croatia in a world cup semi 
    Fair enough. 

To be fair though the only reason the knockout routes were easy is because the "big" teams under performed in the group stages and either failed to get through them or finished second in their group. 
  • Really looking forward to Ghana v Uruguay later.

I actually agree with Suarez that he didn't actually have much to apologise for - people commit fouls and handbills all the time, the penalty was given, he was sent off.  Plus it was just instinctive not premeditated - he's done far worse, let's be honest.

But the fact that Ghanaians hate him, want revenge, and they can knock each other out tonight is great drama.

I hope Ghana do it, think they will too.
  • How are people still arguing over that decision. If the same ball was in between the posts, then Goal line technology would say 'No goal'. The ball is still in play. End of.
    Now they've released the "official" version then it all looks clearer - and the first time I've seen that is in the post above.

My objection was to people saying it was "clearly out" or "clearly in" based on pictures that either weren't in line or else you couldn't be sure the picture captured the exact moment the ball reached it's furthest distance "out".

Mind you, we all know that a chalk line on grass isn't exactly straight in all places, whereas it is in the graphic, but that's a whole different question!
  • Off_it said:
    Germany and Denmark proving we got a bye to the final in the euros as well as the last World Cup to the final 

glad we cleared that up

The "Best" team doesn't always win, in the same way you could make a much clearer case for the best team winning a league over the course of a season.

Some of it is the luck of the draw, some of it is others misfortune, but if you get to a final you get to a final and its not to be sniffed at - particularly if you haven't gotten to one in 50+ years!

Just like M*llw*lls trip to the FA Cup final that time. The easiest and spawniest draws ever, but they still got there. (And got tonked!)
    agreed , we've been very lucky with our draws last two tourneys and took nearly full advantage 

I've said we've had easy draws , thats it , not we're shit or bad 

as for the scum you may or may not know but it's Scott cnuting Parkers fault and that would have been our spawny flukey non decent team draw 
    The year they reached the final and made Europe our high flying Premiership team lost to Gillingham in the third round of the FA Cup who then in the fourth round lost to Burnley who then lost to the scum in the 5th round and the rest is history 
    sickening thought that one of our best ever teams had that opportunity and naused it which enabled one of the most sickening runs in FA Cup history to take place ... another reason to dislike Parker 
  • edited December 2022
    Off_it said:
    Germany and Denmark proving we got a bye to the final in the euros as well as the last World Cup to the final 

glad we cleared that up

agreed , we've been very lucky with our draws last two tourneys and took nearly full advantage 

I've said we've had easy draws , thats it , not we're shit or bad 

as for the scum you may or may not know but it's Scott cnuting Parkers fault and that would have been our spawny flukey non decent team draw 
    The year they reached the final and made Europe our high flying Premiership team lost to Gillingham in the third round of the FA Cup who then in the fourth round lost to Burnley who then lost to the scum in the 5th round and the rest is history 
    sickening thought that one of our best ever teams had that opportunity and naused it which enabled one of the most sickening runs in FA Cup history to take place ... another reason to dislike Parker 
    But we already know they would've beat us if we'd played them anyway ........ :-(

So it sounds' like Scott Parker's a hero for saving us from the agony!