Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Club Shop RIP

Comments

• Options
    This makes me sad for what has been lost from football full stop.

I used to love it as a kid when i used to get all kinds of CAFC gear under the Christmas tree every year..... bespoke polo shirts, the good old calendars, duvet sets, car stickers, pin badges, hats and scarves....... used to like watching out for the private sellers around the ground to pick up a hat or scarf design I hadnt see before.

I liken it to the Grand Prix where the private stalls / original products have gone and its all just official merch.

Just a shame.
    Bring back Sawyers Lodge.  :D  Used to enjoy going in there & picking up a copy of the previous weeks away game programme if my pocket money hadn't been enough to take me on the Lewis coach. Could also pick up programmes from years gone by, had a few from the 1950s sadly they've all gone now.
  • Options
    I've just spent the last 72 hours performing an online inventory review of European clubs' merchandise pages. Started with the 92, did Ireland, Scotland, northern and southern Europe and will publish my results tomorrow after finishing my audit of the Hungarian 3rd division.  

Safe to say at this stage of my research we're, so far, the only club on the continent that you can't buy a scarf for on the club website.

Not slept since Monday, have lived off jaffa cakes and coffee and work have been calling all week so will deal with that shitstorm tomorrow, but I like to think it's been a good use of my time and will publish my findings over the weekend.
    It was established 71 hours ago that MKDons have the same online shop style as us …
  • Options
    As someone who had 4 very young kids a few years back this (as in the old school style club shop) is where the brainwashing began .
    Scarf , hat , teddy bear , pencil , mug , water bottle any old toot with our badge on it .
    we’d go in after we’d lost cos it would be more empty or we’d pop there to get shirts during school holidays or very early on match days .
    mrs would go online to buy guff around Christmas etc
    we have numerous teddy bears and water bottles etc and we always look to renew as they get battered through wear and tear 
    kids love it 
    I like it cos I’m a big kid 
    I get excited seeing our badge wherever and whatever it’s on 
    to me it’s part of the soul of the club (clearly far too nostalgic ) and as it stands we’re an empty shell atm 
    Charlton Athletic currently = zero personality (oh it doesn’t make money let’s get rid of it , oh it doesn’t matter if they cover the badge up for no reason they’re paying money , oh you can bend my mrs over and giver her one on the centre circle if you give the club some money , ok let’s get rid of the whole club cos it’s losing money )

this rant was brought to you courtesy of a Cadbury’s induced , sleep deprived , IBS session on the bog .

I always say I had the trots, you're far too posh.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I've just spent the last 72 hours performing an online inventory review of European clubs' merchandise pages. Started with the 92, did Ireland, Scotland, northern and southern Europe and will publish my results tomorrow after finishing my audit of the Hungarian 3rd division.  

Safe to say at this stage of my research we're, so far, the only club on the continent that you can't buy a scarf for on the club website.

Not slept since Monday, have lived off jaffa cakes and coffee and work have been calling all week so will deal with that shitstorm tomorrow, but I like to think it's been a good use of my time and will publish my findings over the weekend.
    Look forward to your findings Rodders, I sense a promote on the cards...for you not us of course.... ;)
  • Options
    As someone who had 4 very young kids a few years back this (as in the old school style club shop) is where the brainwashing began .
    Scarf , hat , teddy bear , pencil , mug , water bottle any old toot with our badge on it .
    we’d go in after we’d lost cos it would be more empty or we’d pop there to get shirts during school holidays or very early on match days .
    mrs would go online to buy guff around Christmas etc
    we have numerous teddy bears and water bottles etc and we always look to renew as they get battered through wear and tear 
    kids love it 
    I like it cos I’m a big kid 
    I get excited seeing our badge wherever and whatever it’s on 
    to me it’s part of the soul of the club (clearly far too nostalgic ) and as it stands we’re an empty shell atm 
    Charlton Athletic currently = zero personality (oh it doesn’t make money let’s get rid of it , oh it doesn’t matter if they cover the badge up for no reason they’re paying money , oh you can bend my mrs over and giver her one on the centre circle if you give the club some money , ok let’s get rid of the whole club cos it’s losing money )

this rant was brought to you courtesy of a Cadbury’s induced , sleep deprived , IBS session on the bog .

I am "liking" the content of your post oohaah, not your internal rumblings... Hope you feel better this morning. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If enough people take the trouble to write to the club it might have some effect. 
    The club are well aware of the situation. It was discussed at length at the recent Fans Forum meeting. The shop is a franchise deal between Charlton and Castore. Part of the arrangement is for Castore to run the shop and it must be assumed that there is nothing in the agreement that stipulates they must sell Charlton memorabilia. So we are stuck with their expensive clothing and cannot even purchase a copy of our Handbook or a tea mug. Quite ridiculous.
    Surely some kind of amendment to the contract could be made?

It doesn't take a genius to work out that stocking other items aside from kits and expensive clothing would lead to a bigger footfall and the shop would sell more as a result.
  • Options
    With the lack of pubs near the ground you would have thought the club use that to captilise on.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    With the lack of pubs near the ground you would have thought the club use that to captilise on.
    I'd presume there's not many pubs in the area for a reason, certainly don't need another bar when there's crossbars half empty and massive. 

I get the using that building for another purpose idea, but we still need physical spaces for merch on match days. Could use a kiosk in each stands concourse like they do in the states. 
  • Options
    A proper online shop with the facility to buy match tickets and a shirt at the same time.
    Scarf/hat Sellers stationed around the ground on match days.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    cafc999 said:
    I'd presume there's not many pubs in the area for a reason, certainly don't need another bar when there's crossbars half empty and massive. 

I get the using that building for another purpose idea, but we still need physical spaces for merch on match days. Could use a kiosk in each stands concourse like they do in the states. 
    Crossbars is half empty becaue the beer is shocking.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    shine166 said:
    cafc999 said:

So a new bar will be exactly the same no ? 
  • Options

Top work!
    Point of order though.
    Sporting Gijon from Spanish league 2 have no scarves available.

Re-stock arriving next week.
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    shine166 said:
    cafc999 said:
    shine166 said:
    cafc999 said:

My point was that the club should captilise on the lack of local pubs by laying on decent refreshments
    Well yeah that's a no brainer and I can't see why anyone would disagree 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    shine166 said:
    cafc999 said:
    shine166 said:
    cafc999 said:

My point was that the club should captilise on the lack of local pubs by laying on decent refreshments
    AND to encourage fans to spend their pre & post matchday dosh on site.

Crossbars has been full to the brim ( unlike the large glasses of wine!) on occasions last season when positivity showed its head above the parapet ...fleetingly.

Maximising refreshment areas/bars for the "average" fan who likes to park up early & meet up with friends & family and has NO interest whatsover in the overpriced hospitality on offer in the various Lounges, is a no brainer.

Tables and accompanying chairs, space between for comfort, TV s showing the early ko & sufficient room for the kiddies' parties if not over expensive...why not be positive & plan ahead for the good times TS is promising ? 

Build it & they will come ( once performances on the pitch & ticket prices are sorted ...) 
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Following from the above post... There is so much wasted potential in our fan bars and concourses. Most of the local pubs have shut and Greenwich is £7 a pint. It would be great if we could meet friends in the ground at 1:30 and have some drinkable beers, maybe giving the club another £15-18 each (minus their costs). At the moment arriving late, buying a beer in Sainsbury's and walking down at 2:45 is the least bad option. 

The club is totally rudderless.
  • Options
    Can you buy the Sandgaard CD collection at the shop? ... Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    Give it time
  • Options
    or did you mean his actual collection of Chas & Dave etc CDs. Pwoper Lunduner me says Danish American owner of Sarf Lundun soccer team
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    cafc999 said:
    a)I'd presume there's not many pubs in the area for a reason, b)certainly don't need another bar when there's crossbars half empty and massive. 

b)Maybe because it's souless with shite beer, shite service/shite staff & resembles a fucking airport departure lounge & with (the last time I went there years ago admittedly) plastic glasses.

a) There's not many Pubs in the area because they depend on daily custom. In the premier years they may have made enough on a home game to help see them through the week. Obviously those days have long gone........ sadly just like the pubs themselves.
  • Options
    A lament for the good old days!

Hmm ....... where's that Castore catalogue ?  :D:D:D  
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    I’m hoping the club shop has improved recently, i went in 4 weeks ago? and there was very little to buy in there, bought the reason that stuff was still on the high seas, and would / shouod be in by September, I know the  clubs getting a bit of a kicking from a lots of fronts at the moment, feels like death by a thousand cuts.

Ive bought all sorts of ‘toot’ down the years from the club shop, seems weird they don’t want to take our cash?