Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Club Shop RIP

Comments

• Is this more whinging for the sake of whinging? 

How often do people honestly go into the shop other than to kill time before a game? I must have been in there as a serious shopper twice in 10 years.

makes more sense to close the shop and convert it into another fans bar/corporate area. Guessing that would generate more income than someone buying £4 key ring every 10 years.
    a fans bar outside would do well where people can smoke/vape freely in a fenced off area 
  • pretty sure we make f all off the shop anyway as castore likely pay the rent etc 
  • edited September 2022
    Not been in the club shop for a while, so can't comment on it's current stock or lack of, but I have to put some positivity into this debate, I contacted the club last week on the info@ email enquiring to the availability of a club tie from the club shop, and got a prompt response saying that they didn't have any currently in the shop, but asked what it was for.
    I wanted it to wear on a cruise I am going on next week, and they offered to send me one FOC from the staff inventory they held, happy to say it arrived today and looks great, so will be worn with pride onboard.
    So thought I'd speak up for someone who put themselves out to help me, admittedly not the club shop, but the club none the less, so thanks..
    Highly commendable but totally missing the point, I'm afraid.

Perhaps we should all contact the club asking for help in obtaining those items we used to hold dear....

I'm seriously missing the CAFC whoopee cushions...
  • If it were my club I’d have a shop with kits, mugs, books, pictures, babygros and all the guff that we used to go into the shop to buy. But if it were my club, it would be because I had won a triple rollover Euromillions and wouldn’t give too much of a toss about the cost of operations and margin delivery.

Castiore (or any outsourced operator) will be weighing up the operational cost of buying small batches of low margin personalised items versus the efficiency of a standardised operation. Frankly they don’t give a toss about the lifetime value of a “customer” because they aren’t in it for the long term.

A bit like matchday programmes, the club shop is a bit of an anachronism. The retail presence is massively inefficient and from the point of view of a profit driven perspective is of little value.

What that does do, however, is create an opportunity for others with different objectives to step into that space as part of the match day experience, whether that be concession holders in the street or not for profit operations such as the museum…

• edited September 2022
    Is this more whinging for the sake of whinging? 

How often do people honestly go into the shop other than to kill time before a game? I must have been in there as a serious shopper twice in 10 years.

makes more sense to close the shop and convert it into another fans bar/corporate area. Guessing that would generate more income than someone buying £4 key ring every 10 years.
    Whenever I brought my two little ones to games last season (at least 4 or 5 games) the queue for the shop afterwards was out into the street. 

• Sponsored links:

• Think I have only been there once in the last 10 years. Surprised by the amount of tat you could buy with the club badge somewhat incorporated. Good thing is a lot of that tat was reasonably affordable. If they're just selling replica shirts it's another thing that the club has done to price out some fans.
  • seth plum said:
    The stall by Ransom Walk is better when it is there.
    And people wonder why the official club shop is struggling 
  • Stig said:
    Several of the posts on this page have already alluded to the primary purpose of a club shop. It is not to act as a money spinner, at least not in the short term. It is part of the glue that helps bond people (youngsters mainly) to the club. It's the place where you can get something that proclaims your allegiance. The place where you can get a souvenir to commemorate your suffering. The place where you can quite literally become a fully badged up supporter.

Thinking of it in terms of number of key rings sold, or the marginal difference in takings between Charlton branded stuff versus Castore branded stuff isn't a helpful way to think about it. What's important is that some little kid goes into that shop on a Saturday, and on Monday they tell their school mates that they are a Charlton fan because they have the right shirt, hat, football, cuddly toy or whatever it is that fate and dedicated parents have bestowed upon them.

Go to more or less any non league ground and you'll find that they have a shop of sorts. It may be nothing more grand than a garden shed with an open front window, or perhaps just a few bits and bobs behind the bar. It might not be much, but it's somewhere where people can get physical objects that help bind them to the club. Having a properly functioning club shop is not about making a few pennies to fund operations, it's about helping to maintain the long term support. If a handful of amateurs running some Isthmian League outfit can understand this, what a pity our club can't. 

Or buy it online?

I got my 1987 fullMembers cup hat from erith market. 

A club shop of that size is pointless. How much trade or foot traffic is there on a non match day. It's away from the stadium and car park slightly which means it's less likely to catch foot traffic from people getting tickets or corporate guests.

the club shop is dead
    long live the craft beer bar with a click and collect counter for club merchandise 
  • edited September 2022
    Stig said:
    Several of the posts on this page have already alluded to the primary purpose of a club shop. It is not to act as a money spinner, at least not in the short term. It is part of the glue that helps bond people (youngsters mainly) to the club. It's the place where you can get something that proclaims your allegiance. The place where you can get a souvenir to commemorate your suffering. The place where you can quite literally become a fully badged up supporter.

Thinking of it in terms of number of key rings sold, or the marginal difference in takings between Charlton branded stuff versus Castore branded stuff isn't a helpful way to think about it. What's important is that some little kid goes into that shop on a Saturday, and on Monday they tell their school mates that they are a Charlton fan because they have the right shirt, hat, football, cuddly toy or whatever it is that fate and dedicated parents have bestowed upon them.

Go to more or less any non league ground and you'll find that they have a shop of sorts. It may be nothing more grand than a garden shed with an open front window, or perhaps just a few bits and bobs behind the bar. It might not be much, but it's somewhere where people can get physical objects that help bind them to the club. Having a properly functioning club shop is not about making a few pennies to fund operations, it's about helping to maintain the long term support. If a handful of amateurs running some Isthmian League outfit can understand this, what a pity our club can't. 

Or buy it online?

A club shop of that size is pointless. How much trade or foot traffic is there on a non match day. It's away from the stadium and car park slightly which means it's less likely to catch foot traffic from people getting tickets or corporate guests.

the club shop is dead
    long live the craft beer bar with a click and collect counter for club merchandise 
    I don't see how it makes difference whether its full of Castore track suits and training tops or Charlton merchandise in that case? 

It's there anyway, so why not have some of what some people want in there? For once I think I can speak with full confidence that no Charlton fan ever said "I am not going in there if it sells Charlton branded pencil sharpeners and beer mugs as well as expensive Castore leisure tops and replica kit, I refuse to be in the same room as a CAFC pin badge".     

I go into it on non-matchdays so I don't have to cart a bag full of tat to the match with me.    
  • Sponsored links:

• This makes me sad for what has been lost from football full stop.

I used to love it as a kid when i used to get all kinds of CAFC gear under the Christmas tree every year..... bespoke polo shirts, the good old calendars, duvet sets, car stickers, pin badges, hats and scarves....... used to like watching out for the private sellers around the ground to pick up a hat or scarf design I hadnt see before.

I liken it to the Grand Prix where the private stalls / original products have gone and its all just official merch.

Just a shame.
  • Stig said:

Or buy it online?

the club shop is dead
    I don't see how it makes difference whether its full of Castore track suits and training tops or Charlton merchandise in that case? 

It's there anyway, so why not have some of what some people want in there? For once I think I can speak with full confidence that no Charlton fan ever said "I am not going in there if it sells Charlton branded pencil sharpeners and beer mugs as well as expensive Castore leisure tops and replica kit, I refuse to be in the same room as a CAFC pin badge".     

I go into it on non-matchdays so I don't have to cart a bag full of tat to the match with me.    
    That's my point, foot traffic for a shop of that size selling either Charlton merchandise or other sporting ranges is not going to make money.

converting the shop into a match day bar and a non match day corporate facility in my view, would provide greater revenue streams

it's such a weird little building, I know cost is a factor but I've always thought adding a second level with a walkway onto the stadium would be a good idea......I'm off to email Tommy 
  • Stig said:

Or buy it online?

the club shop is dead

That's my point, foot traffic for a shop of that size selling either Charlton merchandise or other sporting ranges is not going to make money.

converting the shop into a match day bar and a non match day corporate facility in my view, would provide greater revenue streams

it's such a weird little building, I know cost is a factor but I've always thought adding a second level with a walkway onto the stadium would be a good idea......I'm off to email Tommy 
    You're missing the point completely, we certainly don't need another corporate space to be whored out and over priced.
  • Is this more whinging for the sake of whinging? 

a fans bar outside would do well where people can smoke/vape freely in a fenced off area 
    Where?
  • Stig said:

Or buy it online?

the club shop is dead

How about a fishing superstore instead?  Britain’s number one pass time. 
  • Stig said:

Or buy it online?

the club shop is dead

I don't think the non match day corporate facilities already in place are that full that another site is needed, are they?

You may know more than me, in fairness TRH?   
  • shine166 said:
    Stig said:

Or buy it online?

the club shop is dead

You're missing the point completely, we certainly don't need another corporate space to be whored out and over priced.
    Why?

I go lots of networking events at Bromley and dartford fa grounds. Surely there is a good revenue stream there? Obviously I'm not suggesting we build a hotel in that location, but how much do Bolton and Blackpool make from their hotels? The world is changing and Charlton needs to change with it. No harm in more match day facilities that can also be used to bring in extra income, but let's keep a big club shop open that the average supporter visits once a decade instead?

high street shops in major shopping centres like burtons are closing up and moving on line. It's the future. Makes sense for a football club shop which I'm guessing makes very little money to follow
  • Stig said:

Or buy it online?

the club shop is dead

I don't think the non match day corporate facilities already in place are that full that another site is needed, are they?

You may know more than me, in fairness TRH?   
    I have no clue. But when I go to corporate events at other teams grounds and see that they are full, surely this is a market that the club should be looking to tap into
  • edited September 2022
    Is this more whinging for the sake of whinging? 

Good shout re the bar - ive been thinking that - might as welll just restrict the overpriced castore stuff to online