Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NFT sponsorship

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyB said:
    bet they wish they never bothered to sponsor us now 
    I think it is fair to say at this point that Charlton Athletic will need to find a new sponsor next season.

Anyhow guys, I am out from here as I think your views on Generous Robots and NFTs generally are clear. I was not on here to argue as I just wanted to explain about some of us holders and that you have a few thousand extra fans for the season who are going to spend money on the club on streaming and merchandise.

Good luck with the season, I will watch your matches online.
    Good luck for yourself in the future.
    I think the 'explain' bit needs (a lot of) work, because your explanations are simply not landing, or are nowhere near robust enough to withstand reasonable scrutiny.
  • Options
    I think the main question I have is who wins and who loses from the equation because it certainly won't be the chumps who buy the pretty much worthless NFTs. Most likely it is to try and drive up the price of whatever crypto currency is being used for the people who own that or the people taking a cut of the transactions.

I see value in it for the club as a way for fans to essentially donate money but it is ridiculous to suggest anyone buying the NFTs are going to be able to sell them for more than they purchased them for.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    I think the main question I have is who wins and who loses from the equation because it certainly won't be the chumps who buy the pretty much worthless NFTs. Most likely it is to try and drive up the price of whatever crypto currency is being used for the people who own that or the people taking a cut of the transactions.

I see value in it for the club as a way for fans to essentially donate money but it is ridiculous to suggest anyone buying the NFTs are going to be able to sell them for more than they purchased them for.
    I'll be clear NFTs themselves aren't a ponzi scheme.  
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    So, it sounds as though TS & co have welcomed this sponsor purely to attract " a few thousand extra fans", but presumably not in terms of attending/swelling attendances at The Valley. 

"Spending money on the club on streaming and merchandise"......

Maybe a handful of shirts purchased by the Generous Robots' faithful plus a few extra streams ? 

What a HUGE difference this will make to our coffers ! 

......whilst most fans will be asking " WTF is THAT on our shorts! " unless the majority of our aging supporters are way ahead of the Fanackapans in their understanding of such innovations & are already embracing NFTs. 

We're merely excited by the prospect of the upcoming Premium Bond draw next week.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

The club wins. They'll be receiving money from the sponsorship and as we've seen extra revenue for matchday passes.

95% of the fan base have no interest in crypto or NFTs as it's all a ponzi scheme apparently. Those who want to invest, fine by me, it's your money, do as you will.

Those who shout loudest on these threads have already made their minds up and it has zero effect on them.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    sammy391 said:
    Love the usual ownership bashing, all because a sponsorship is unknown/‘unscrupulous’…

it’s ridiculous 

there’s clearly a lot of interest in NFTs in sport, and it’s a growing market - rightly or wrongly.

this Company has spent money to sponsor us, and posters on here are getting rude to someone trying to help clear up any issues or misunderstanding - talk about keyboard warriors! 

Seen too much of the usual ‘I remember when Charlton used to turn down the money from betting/alcohol etx’ - as Some sort of badge of ownership bashing due to the past! 
    Don’t think CAST needed to get involved either! 

A sponsor peddling a worthless and unregulated investment to supporters is exactly the sort of thing CAST should be getting involved in. 
    What they gonna do other than ask the question that you have just stated. What is cast’s end game? If it’s good enough for Barca…….
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    sammy391 said:
    Love the usual ownership bashing, all because a sponsorship is unknown/‘unscrupulous’…

it’s ridiculous 

there’s clearly a lot of interest in NFTs in sport, and it’s a growing market - rightly or wrongly.

this Company has spent money to sponsor us, and posters on here are getting rude to someone trying to help clear up any issues or misunderstanding - talk about keyboard warriors! 

Seen too much of the usual ‘I remember when Charlton used to turn down the money from betting/alcohol etx’ - as Some sort of badge of ownership bashing due to the past! 

A sponsor peddling a worthless and unregulated investment to supporters is exactly the sort of thing CAST should be getting involved in. 
    What they gonna do other than ask the question that you have just stated. What is cast’s end game? If it’s good enough for Barca…….
    Have a proper look at what buying the Barca NFT actually gave the owner.  It's like saying we are selling peices of plastic for £300 a pop then forgetting to mention that said piece of plastic gives you entry to every home first team game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:
    sammy391 said:

it’s ridiculous 

Have a proper look at what buying the Barca NFT actually gave the owner.  It's like saying we are selling peices of plastic for £300 a pop then forgetting to mention that said piece of plastic gives you entry to every home first team game.
    It’s irrelevant. For Barca to attach their name with NFT’s is a statement. I don’t know hardly anything about NFT’s but I’m going to do my research rather than making unsubstantiated comments like there has been on here. Some of the comments to the fella that came on here were frankly embarrassing.
    But that's exactly what has been done.  The suggestion that he even doubled down on was the piece of art was sold for $700k.

It's exactly the same your season ticket card is worth £300.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Quoted from the PWC article above:-

Digital assets can fundamentally alter how fans interact with their favourite teams. There will be more ways to meaningfully connect with teams and athletes than ever before. If executed effectively to help enhance the customer experience, fans can form closer bonds with their teams. Correspondingly, digital assets should provide a significant revenue opportunity for sports organisations. Traditionally, ticket sales, media rights and sponsorship form the three largest revenue streams for teams and leagues. All three could see significant growth due to tokenised tickets, NFT media rights and sponsorship of digital or metaverse events. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise us if in the next five years, digital asset sales become one of the largest revenue streams for many teams and leagues.

The challenge will likely come from organisations’ ability to build the infrastructure that allows digital assets to thrive. To make this a success, teams and leagues will need a sophisticated tech stack that connects their new digital sales data with existing customer databases. Further, it’s essential for organisations to anticipate and mitigate legal risk and tax implications. Much like NFTs, the regulatory landscape surrounding blockchain technology is evolving.

This industry has always responded well to shifts in customer behaviour, and Web3 is almost certainly going to be a major one. Teams should prepare for a sports world that is about to embark on a re-imagination of so much of how fans consume sports.

• Options
    I think people need to take a step back. This isn’t and ponzu scheme, and it’s unlikely to be an investment. Part of the problem is that everything around digital currency is being conflated with NFTs, and everyone is stuck on the NFT being a digital image. 

An NFT simply says you own something, and obviously the most popular version is an image. The image has no value - all you’ve effectively getting is an electronic ownership document. It’s no different to owning a painting - you own it, but you don’t own the copyright. If you buy Van Goghs Starry Night, that doesn’t give you the right to sell copies. 

Somebody gave a good analogy earlier of trading cards, you buy them, you own the copy you have, you can trade it, sell it, but ultimately it’s worthless unless someone is willing to pay to complete their set.  It might be an investment in 50 years time, but it’s probably not. As long as these are not sold as investments, I have no problem if someone wants to pay for owning an image they can display on their phone. Whatever you want to spend your money on. 

At the same time, the NFT may offer benefits - buy an NFT and maybe the club holds a reception for NFT holders, or you get priority on some other offering. It could be anything. 

The technology is interesting, but it constantly looks like a solution desperately looking for a problem. Someone mentioned season tickets being NFTs. Why? What benefit does it offer? Just because it could be done doesn’t mean it should be. 

This is harmless as long as it’s not marketed as an investment. It’s just stuff you can buy. 
    Our sponsor exclusively speaks about them as investments. That is the problem. 
    Why is it? Do you just plough your money into anything else that's classed as an investment? No, you research it and decide if its right for you
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    cafcpolo said:
    I think people need to take a step back. This isn’t and ponzu scheme, and it’s unlikely to be an investment. Part of the problem is that everything around digital currency is being conflated with NFTs, and everyone is stuck on the NFT being a digital image. 

An NFT simply says you own something, and obviously the most popular version is an image. The image has no value - all you’ve effectively getting is an electronic ownership document. It’s no different to owning a painting - you own it, but you don’t own the copyright. If you buy Van Goghs Starry Night, that doesn’t give you the right to sell copies. 

Somebody gave a good analogy earlier of trading cards, you buy them, you own the copy you have, you can trade it, sell it, but ultimately it’s worthless unless someone is willing to pay to complete their set.  It might be an investment in 50 years time, but it’s probably not. As long as these are not sold as investments, I have no problem if someone wants to pay for owning an image they can display on their phone. Whatever you want to spend your money on. 

At the same time, the NFT may offer benefits - buy an NFT and maybe the club holds a reception for NFT holders, or you get priority on some other offering. It could be anything. 

The technology is interesting, but it constantly looks like a solution desperately looking for a problem. Someone mentioned season tickets being NFTs. Why? What benefit does it offer? Just because it could be done doesn’t mean it should be. 

This is harmless as long as it’s not marketed as an investment. It’s just stuff you can buy. 
    Why is it? Do you just plough your money into anything else that's classed as an investment? No, you research it and decide if its right for you
    But other investments are regulated with protections and compensation schemes in place for the investor. 
    All of them? Even licensed and heavily regulated financial advisers have turned out to be total construction artists. 

Nothing is beyond risk. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    cafcpolo said:

But other investments are regulated with protections and compensation schemes in place for the investor. 
    So if I invest in a company and their share price drops from £10 to £0.01, I'm protected and don't lose my money?

Were Debenhams share holders covered when they went into administration?
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Croydon said:
    cafcpolo said:

So if I invest in a company and their share price drops from £10 to £0.01, I'm protected and don't lose my money?

Do you understand how many hoops you have to go through to even get on the stock exchange? 

Can't just mint some shares and pretend they are worth £50. 
  • Options

Digital assets can fundamentally alter how fans interact with their favourite teams. There will be more ways to meaningfully connect with teams and athletes than ever before. If executed effectively to help enhance the customer experience, fans can form closer bonds with their teams. Correspondingly, digital assets should provide a significant revenue opportunity for sports organisations. Traditionally, ticket sales, media rights and sponsorship form the three largest revenue streams for teams and leagues. All three could see significant growth due to tokenised tickets, NFT media rights and sponsorship of digital or metaverse events. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise us if in the next five years, digital asset sales become one of the largest revenue streams for many teams and leagues.

The challenge will likely come from organisations’ ability to build the infrastructure that allows digital assets to thrive. To make this a success, teams and leagues will need a sophisticated tech stack that connects their new digital sales data with existing customer databases. Further, it’s essential for organisations to anticipate and mitigate legal risk and tax implications. Much like NFTs, the regulatory landscape surrounding blockchain technology is evolving.

This industry has always responded well to shifts in customer behaviour, and Web3 is almost certainly going to be a major one. Teams should prepare for a sports world that is about to embark on a re-imagination of so much of how fans consume sports.

Load of absolute consultancy horseshit.

And that's from someone who spent a decade at PwC and thinks very highly of them.

I have a meaningful connection with my club by turning up on the terraces each home game and cheering them on come rain or shine whatever league we're in as I've done for decades and hope to do for decades to come.

A load of marketing codswallop by people who know the square root of fuck all about what it means to properly support a football club beyond global armchair supporting nonsense.

"Customer experience" ffs.
    So its not all monkey jpeg ponzi schemes then?........ the point being that there are other uses for NFT's........so many on here are just jumping to conclusions without a reasonable knowledge of where this sponsorship is leading or how the club expect the partnership to develop ........ time will tell, but I doubt the intention is to lure unsuspecting supporters into parting with their cash in a manner that will have a long lasting negative effect. 
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Croydon said:
    cafcpolo said:

Do you understand how many hoops you have to go through to even get on the stock exchange? 

Can't just mint some shares and pretend they are worth £50. 
    Okay, but am I protected?
  • Options

Load of absolute consultancy horseshit.

And that's from someone who spent a decade at PwC and thinks very highly of them.

I have a meaningful connection with my club by turning up on the terraces each home game and cheering them on come rain or shine whatever league we're in as I've done for decades and hope to do for decades to come.

A load of marketing codswallop by people who know the square root of fuck all about what it means to properly support a football club beyond global armchair supporting nonsense.

"Customer experience" ffs.
    So its not all monkey jpeg ponzi schemes then?........ the point being that there are other uses for NFT's........so many on here are just jumping to conclusions without a reasonable knowledge of where this sponsorship is leading or how the club expect the partnership to develop ........ time will tell, but I doubt the intention is to lure unsuspecting supporters into parting with their cash in a manner that will have a long lasting negative effect. 
    I've no idea. Just pointing out the vapid consultancy drivel churned out  by wallies to dupe wallies. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Croydon said:
    sammy391 said:

it’s ridiculous 

It’s irrelevant. For Barca to attach their name with NFT’s is a statement. I don’t know hardly anything about NFT’s but I’m going to do my research rather than making unsubstantiated comments like there has been on here. Some of the comments to the fella that came on here were frankly embarrassing.
    Yeah. It's a statement that they're fucking broke and need to try and make money any way they can. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    cafcpolo said:

All of them? Even licensed and heavily regulated financial advisers have turned out to be total construction artists. 

Nothing is beyond risk. 
    And that's where the FSCS comes in.