Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

NFT sponsorship

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    NFTs are like playing pass the parcel. There's money to be made if you shift it on in time, just don't be the last one holding when it all goes tits up. 

And it will go tits up. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    If you want to support an artist by buying a JPG and computer code be my guest. 

The idea that they hold value and are an 'investment' is a con. 
    What exactly is the difference between owning some art and owning an artist’s NFT? Art is a respectable, but can be risky investment. Nft art is similar.

the technology and ideas behind NFT’s are very much the future. We will buy tickets as NFT’s, the deeds to our homes will be NFT’s. 
    The runners of companies like this posting stuff like this: 

It's a 'get rich quick' scheme like hundreds of other ponzi schemes before it. It's as legal as buying tulips, doesn't mean it's a good investment or something i'd want Charlton getting involved with. 
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Nothing wrong with NFT's when they are used properly. In fact they will revolutionise certain industries that will become evident as Web3 develops over the coming years.

This looks nothing more than a "Panini stickers" type use of NFT's and will be harmless enough and I suspect of little interest to the majority and average Charlton fan.

If you didn't hide under the table during the advent of the Internet, you should be fine with NFT's in the future.
    Not quite sure how this comparison was landed on. Sort of like saying you shouldn't be wary of magic beans if you're not scared of rain.
    If you look back at the advent of the internet, some people were wary of it's potential for good and were dismissing that potential before it had been developed in earnest. We are at a similar juncture with NFT's IMHO
    Absolute fucking bobbins. There is no inherent value in NFTs. They're a cash out scheme for people stuck in the crypto ponzi. There is, and always has been massive inherent value in 'the Internet' - trying to compare the NFT scam to 'the Internet' because it might one day be useful in Web 3.0 is like trying to compare swapping panini stickers in the playground with global currency trading. 

And don't even bother trying to paint me as someone who might have been 'scared of the Internet' (🤣🤣🤣), since I've forgotten more than you and every other cryptobro will ever know about technology.

So all NFT's are crypto Ponzi schemes........ https://queue-it.com/blog/exciting-future-nft-trends/
    Having read that, I must agree but not all NFTs are Ponzi schemes. Some are just a load of bollocks.
  • Options

What exactly is the difference between owning some art and owning an artist’s NFT? Art is a respectable, but can be risky investment. Nft art is similar.

the technology and ideas behind NFT’s are very much the future. We will buy tickets as NFT’s, the deeds to our homes will be NFT’s. 
    How do you display an NFT?
  • Options

How do you display an NFT?
    On a screen, just like digital Art has been for years. 
  • Options
    @shine here is what I can’t get my head around. 

There is only one Sunflowers by Van Gogh but millions own a print/copy of the original but that is obviously very different to the one he painted. 

With a digital one, you may have a NFT saying you own that image,  but anyone else can just take an identical copy of it just be right clicking on the image. I don’t understand where the value/uniqueness comes from. 

This is just my view on art NFT. I don’t really understand other uses for them. 
  • Options

The runners of companies like this posting stuff like this: 

It's a 'get rich quick' scheme like hundreds of other ponzi schemes before it. It's as legal as buying tulips, doesn't mean it's a good investment or something i'd want Charlton getting involved with. 
    Because you like many others focus on them only being pictures of apes or robots or whatever they may be. Whilst I agree in that form, they are utterly ridiculous that doesn't mean NFTs won't have their uses and are certainly not a ponzi scheme.
  • Options
    Glad that the club are prepared to partner with new initiatives, in the non mainstream industries. No complaints from me.
  • Options
    I wouldn't trust them. The thought of giving any money to the same people who when trying to advertise the slogan "Robots DAO" they instead made it look like it says "Roberts Dad"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To me digital currency and fungicide tokens or whatever they are are a total scam.
    However they have improved the ability of a lot of people to practice being persuasive.
    Persuasion is one of the new things, but being persuasive does not mean having any substance or any practical benefit.

• Options
    Gonna try not to have an opinion on any of this, but a Charlton Discord server would be bantz
  • Options
    there is so much of the internet i know nothing about
  • Options
    JohnnyB said:
    Good morning

I am new here and a holder of Generous Robots so I thought I should introduce myself and try to explain a bit about me and the NFT which has sponsored Charlton Athletic for this season. I should add at the outset though that I am only a holder and I don't speak for or on behalf of the team behind Generous Robots.

I am from the US and live in Miami. I have been involved in NFTs for the best part of four years now. I run my own portfolio of NFTs now as a full time career. Previously I had careers in finance and real estate.

NFTs are essentially a digital asset. There is quite a good basic guide to them on Timeout which you can read here https://www.timeout.com/hong-kong/art/beginners-guide-to-nfts-what-you-should-know. Some NFTs can be worth a lot of money if there is a lot of interest in them and demand. We have also seen well known artists like Damien Hirst selling digital artwork and even some of Banksy's artwork has been converted into NFTs with the original work burnt. The value of NFTs is, as with any artwork, in the eye of the beholder.

Generous Robots (https://generousrobots.com/) is a relatively new NFT that was created earlier this year. The mint price, or initial sale price, for 1 NFT was 1 Solana and it now trades around 1.5 Solana which is around $65 or £50. A lot of us who hold Generous Robots are based in the US and we have a pretty decent community where we chat on a platform called Discord.

I think the idea behind the Charlton Athletic sponsorship deal was to gain some exposure in the UK and see what happens. There are larger NFTs that are able to get involved in US sports like NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB. These are expensive sponsorship deals which I guess would be something similar to like sponsoring a Premier League team. Generous Robots is not big enough to do a sponsorship deal of that scale, so one of the holders suggested looking at Charlton Athletic as he is a fan and I think he knew the team were looking for sponsors.

Hopefully people on here see that Generous Robots is not a scam. We are a solid community who wanted to gain a bit of exposure in the UK and someone came up with the idea of sponsoring a football team. I do totally get that NFTs are going to be new for a lot of people on here and they will not be for everyone. They are an investment and as with any investment, you can make or lose money. Although I would stress that to buy one Generous Robot NFT is not particularly expensive at around £50 and we are certainly not talking about an investment that would require someone's life savings.

I am keen to follow you guys for this season and I have already bought my match pass to watch your matches. I have never followed a football team in the UK before so it will be a new experience for me and I am excited to see how you guys do. Many of us from the US are going to be rooting for you and following you for the season.

I hope that explains a bit about me and Generous Robots. If anyone has any questions, feel free to shout for me and I will do my best to respond!
    Fantastic Johnny. Thanks for the insight and I will now thoroughly research NFT’s. And of course, welcome to Charlton Athletic!
  • Options
    JohnnyB said:
    Good morning

I am new here and a holder of Generous Robots so I thought I should introduce myself and try to explain a bit about me and the NFT which has sponsored Charlton Athletic for this season. I should add at the outset though that I am only a holder and I don't speak for or on behalf of the team behind Generous Robots.

I am from the US and live in Miami. I have been involved in NFTs for the best part of four years now. I run my own portfolio of NFTs now as a full time career. Previously I had careers in finance and real estate.

NFTs are essentially a digital asset. There is quite a good basic guide to them on Timeout which you can read here https://www.timeout.com/hong-kong/art/beginners-guide-to-nfts-what-you-should-know. Some NFTs can be worth a lot of money if there is a lot of interest in them and demand. We have also seen well known artists like Damien Hirst selling digital artwork and even some of Banksy's artwork has been converted into NFTs with the original work burnt. The value of NFTs is, as with any artwork, in the eye of the beholder.

Generous Robots (https://generousrobots.com/) is a relatively new NFT that was created earlier this year. The mint price, or initial sale price, for 1 NFT was 1 Solana and it now trades around 1.5 Solana which is around $65 or £50. A lot of us who hold Generous Robots are based in the US and we have a pretty decent community where we chat on a platform called Discord.

I think the idea behind the Charlton Athletic sponsorship deal was to gain some exposure in the UK and see what happens. There are larger NFTs that are able to get involved in US sports like NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB. These are expensive sponsorship deals which I guess would be something similar to like sponsoring a Premier League team. Generous Robots is not big enough to do a sponsorship deal of that scale, so one of the holders suggested looking at Charlton Athletic as he is a fan and I think he knew the team were looking for sponsors.

Hopefully people on here see that Generous Robots is not a scam. We are a solid community who wanted to gain a bit of exposure in the UK and someone came up with the idea of sponsoring a football team. I do totally get that NFTs are going to be new for a lot of people on here and they will not be for everyone. They are an investment and as with any investment, you can make or lose money. Although I would stress that to buy one Generous Robot NFT is not particularly expensive at around £50 and we are certainly not talking about an investment that would require someone's life savings.

I am keen to follow you guys for this season and I have already bought my match pass to watch your matches. I have never followed a football team in the UK before so it will be a new experience for me and I am excited to see how you guys do. Many of us from the US are going to be rooting for you and following you for the season.

I hope that explains a bit about me and Generous Robots. If anyone has any questions, feel free to shout for me and I will do my best to respond!
    So you buy something for £50.
    How exactly do you pay it?
    How exactly do you get your money back?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    JohnnyB said:
    Good morning

Buy swapping if for some cauliflowers... 

Being flipent the same way you buy or selling anything else. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Hey Seth

So to answer your questions, all NFTs trade in a cryptocurrency. The most common two for NFTs are Ethereum (Eth) and Solana (SOL).

So you convert £ or $ into that cryptocurrency via one of the many exchanges like Coinbase, FTX, 
    Kraken and Kucoin and Gemini. You then need to create a digital wallet which is basically similar to a bank account. You send your purchased cryptocurrency from the exchange to this wallet through its unique address. 

Once you have your cryptocurrency in your wallet, you buy NFTs in a marketplace such as OpenSea or MagicEden where people have listed their NFTs for sale. If you buy an NFT, it will appear in your digital wallet and you will own it.

If you want to sell your NFT and cash out, you basically do the reverse of the above.
  • Options
    Why doesn't the NFT simply trade in an established currency?
  • Options
    JohnnyB said:
    seth plum said:

Hey Seth

So to answer your questions, all NFTs trade in a cryptocurrency. The most common two for NFTs are Ethereum (Eth) and Solana (SOL).

So you convert £ or $ into that cryptocurrency via one of the many exchanges like Coinbase, FTX, Kraken and Kucoin and Gemini. You then need to create a digital wallet which is basically similar to a bank account. You send your purchased cryptocurrency from the exchange to this wallet through its unique address. 

Once you have your cryptocurrency in your wallet, you buy NFTs in a marketplace such as OpenSea or MagicEden where people have listed their NFTs for sale. If you buy an NFT, it will appear in your digital wallet and you will own it.

If you want to sell your NFT and cash out, you basically do the reverse of the above.
    Way too many hoops to jump through.
    And for what?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    JohnnyB said:
    seth plum said:

Hey Seth

So you convert £ or $ into that cryptocurrency via one of the many exchanges like Coinbase, FTX, Kraken and Kucoin and Gemini. You then need to create a digital wallet which is basically similar to a bank account. You send your purchased cryptocurrency from the exchange to this wallet through its unique address. 

And for what?
    Why ask when you don't care?
  • Options
    I won't be buying any 

Not because I have little knowledge and even less interest in NFTs, which is the case, but because those robot graphics are f***ing horrible. 

IMHO of course.

Feel free to spend you money on what you wish 

Most vinyl records depreciate in value, football programmes were once much more valuable than they are now, some physical art goes up in value, most doesn't.  

If you like the image and want to spend 50 quid on it then do so but it's not a good financial investment. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    JohnnyB said:
    seth plum said:

Hey Seth

And for what?
    for this Damien Hirst digital art image... 

Damien Hirst The Currency Artworks 10000 Pieces for 2000 Each -  Bloomberg

I'll sell it to you for 400 Smackaroonies (Smkr)
  • Options
    Because NFTs are created on a cryptocurrency blockchain. This gives them a unique address which cannot be replicated so you know that it is original. 

seth plum said:
    And for what?
    This is how NFTs work.

There is huge demand and interest in NFTs around the world. For example, Adidas and Nike have sold new shoe and trainer collections this year as NFTs where demand outstripped the supply which led to huge prices being paid in the marketplaces https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nike-cryptokicks-nft-blockchain-metaverse-rtfkt

Sports clubs and teams in the US are pushing more and more into NFTs. The NBA's official NFTs have a total traded volume now in excess of $1bn.

I think the Premier League clubs have agreed to a deal to sell NFTs that should be coming this year as they realise the demand and size of the market. So you potentially buy a player card or a video of a goal that has been converted into a NFT and the owner will hold the rights to it.
  • Options
    JohnnyB said:
    Because NFTs are created on a cryptocurrency blockchain. This gives them a unique address which cannot be replicated so you know that it is original. 

seth plum said:
    And for what?
    This is how NFTs work.

There is huge demand and interest in NFTs around the world. For example, Adidas and Nike have sold new shoe and trainer collections this year as NFTs where demand outstripped the supply which led to huge prices being paid in the marketplaces https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nike-cryptokicks-nft-blockchain-metaverse-rtfkt

Sports clubs and teams in the US are pushing more and more into NFTs. The NBA's official NFTs have a total traded volume now in excess of $1bn.

I think the Premier League clubs have agreed to a deal to sell NFTs that should be coming this year as they realise the demand and size of the market. So you potentially buy a player card or a video of a goal that has been converted into a NFT and the owner will hold the rights to it.
    Eh.
    So if you can't buy a pair of trainers to actually wear on your feet, you buy a picture of them to look at?
    Mrs Plum is always tardy when it comes to birthdays, but she once gave me a birthday card with a picture of a shirt cut out of a magazine, and wrote in the card 'I intend to get you this'.
    It never materialised.
    However I suppose the card helped me know my birthday hadn't been forgotten.
  • Options
    Zero mention of the artwork in your descriptions. 

Only mentions of demand, value, investment. 

Wanting more demand so you can cash out your worthless NFTs ain't gonna work, sorry. 
    Nail on head.

• Options
    Zero mention of the artwork in your descriptions. 

Only mentions of demand, value, investment. 

Wanting more demand so you can cash out your worthless NFTs ain't gonna work, sorry. 
    I think you are right in that JohnnyB hasn't even mentioned what Generous Robots are/do.
    It doesn't really matter. The public buy, the price goes up & the current holders cash in at a profit.
  • Options
    Knew this would go down well in Comrade Corner!