Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• edited September 2
    Feels like so long since I saw him have a run of games that it's hard to remember. But think he's physical and a goal threat, two things we're missing at the moment. 

His movement is a lot more intelligent than Ahadme's as well. Can see him finding some more space.
  • I really hope he comes back fit and ready to go but for me the most important thing for him is that he is able to maintain his fitness as another injury is likely to cast doubt 
  • NabySarr said:
    Through the weakness elsewhere in this area, feels even more pressure will be on Leaburn to perform once returned. 

But if May didn’t fit how Jones likes to play, are we sure that Leaburn does? He’s neither a Ahadme or Campbell type player that he’s gone with. He’s not the type to be energetically sprinting the hard press. 
    A lot of assumption I think that he’ll replace Ahadme is due to his size, but they are very different types of player. 

What do others think?
    Leaburn is actually very good at pressing from the front. Jones likes big and mobile strikers so Miles fits that perfectly 

My only doubt with him is will he be able to keep making run after run into the channels that Ahadme and Campbell are making at the moment for long balls over the top. Definitely not for a little while as he will need to get up to speed fitness and sharpness wise but hopefully he’s got enough in the tank for it 
    Agreed, he's a perfect NJ striker as he's quick and mobile, rather than being the slow bug lump up front, but we'll need to reintroduce him slowly.
  • edited September 2
    When I try to think of any of the strikers NJ bought while he was at Luton, I think of James Collins, Carlton Morris, Cauley Woodrow, Elijah Adebayo. All very much in the Leaburn mould.

All slightly different of course but the main thing each of them have is a big frame and some level of speed to go with it.
  • Leaburn is no slouch, scores goals, has good control, good vision and physicality. He is ok in the air but this is an area for improvemnt given his height. Without injuries he would be playing at a higher level already so as long as he doesn't lose attributes due to the injury you can see why Jones might be excited about getting him.
  • My concern is that the team is not set up to attack using a “formula” but creates its chances primarily by forcing errors in defending. Quite how Leaburn, Godden, Ahadme or anyone else makes the correct runs often enough is something I don’t get. I don’t think Miles will be much if any better than Gas because we are currently not attacking as a team with a structure. 
  • My concern is that the team is not set up to attack using a “formula” but creates its chances primarily by forcing errors in defending. Quite how Leaburn, Godden, Ahadme or anyone else makes the correct runs often enough is something I don’t get. I don’t think Miles will be much if any better than Gas because we are currently not attacking as a team with a structure. 
    Don't agree.

We play with wing backs who aim to get crosses into the box.

They haven't done that very well (nor have our free kicks or corners been up to much) but we do have more than playing for turnovers.
    I actually agree that the wing backs are the main attacking outlet but our goals threat hasn’t been good and I believe it’s very one dimensional. When it’s not working for whatever reason we don’t seem to have an alternative. 
    Don't agree.

We play with wing backs who aim to get crosses into the box.

They haven't done that very well (nor have our free kicks or corners been up to much) but we do have more than playing for turnovers.
    Aim to get crosses in the box, with aim being the key word. It’s a shame Edwards got injured, because neither Small or Ramsay seem to be able to deliver a good cross
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2
    I think we need to be cool about Miles, he’s had a career threatening injury, and we don’t know how he’s going to respond when he does eventually come back, I really hope he doesn’t break down again, but you never know.

I tend to class him in the same category as Chuks, anything we get from him is a bonus this season, but there is a higher possibility they are both not able to complete 30/40 matches a season unfortunately.

I’m putting a lot of trust in the rehab that he’s had, and also the discernment of Dr Will, to make the right calls, about what his body can, and can’t take.
  • If Leaburn comes back the player he was before injury and if he can stay fit (both big if's) then he is too good for L1 and if NJ can't find a way to put him in our first 11 it would be pretty damming on him. 
    I am sure he will put him in though.

• I really think once he gets into his stride and sharpness of games, he’ll be one of the very best strikers in this league and will score a lot of goals whilst bringing a lot to the team.

With Leaburn and Godden up top, I think we have a good few players in the spine that can play in the Championship, so should do very well at this current level.
  • We seem to have taken our time with Leaburn and done it right so hopefully that will pay off.
  • Think my only concern would be if he comes back , hits form quickly and leaves us in a position where he could negotiate with European clubs in January. 

Hopefully there's a new contract on the table to take this scenario out of play 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Think my only concern would be if he comes back , hits form quickly and leaves us in a position where he could negotiate with European clubs in January. 

Yes it’s a concern for us but the bottom line is Miles needs to do what is best for him. I would imagine that this latest injury has been a very sobering and thought provoking experience for Miles and brought home the reality of just how fragile and precarious football careers are. Whatever he chooses to do I wish him well. I’m sure we would get more for Miles if he stayed for another year or so and I suspect he’ll be keen to do the right thing by the club. There is also the question as to whether the club has held off offering a contract until it knows that ML will get over his serious injury. Difficult situation to navigate. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Think my only concern would be if he comes back , hits form quickly and leaves us in a position where he could negotiate with European clubs in January. 

It's interesting, part of me thinks his family will want him to sign a contract with a release clause for the club but probably more realistic is we will lose him for free. We would probably get decent compensation and if he does end up abroad at least we'll get solidarity payments for future transfers. I think he'll be too big a punt for teams in January but they have plenty of time before English clubs can step in
  • Id like to think Tracey and Carl would both be telling him to sign a new contract and not to be leaving on a free, even moreso after us spending a fortune on his rehab and sending him to St georges
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCsayer said:
    Id like to think Tracey and Carl would both be telling him to sign a new contract and not to be leaving on a free, even moreso after us spending a fortune on his rehab and sending him to St georges
    That will be the same Carl who was out of contract with us for 18 months
  • I think Leaburn comes in to initially partner Gas up top - reckon that will be NJ's first choice pairing
  • I think Leaburn comes in to initially partner Gas up top - reckon that will be NJ's first choice pairing
    I think Leaburn and Godden. Godden only not starting because his injury opened the door for TC who has been doing pretty well on the whole
  • MarcusH26 said:

Yes it’s a concern for us but the bottom line is Miles needs to do what is best for him. I would imagine that this latest injury has been a very sobering and thought provoking experience for Miles and brought home the reality of just how fragile and precarious football careers are. Whatever he chooses to do I wish him well. I’m sure we would get more for Miles if he stayed for another year or so and I suspect he’ll be keen to do the right thing by the club. There is also the question as to whether the club has held off offering a contract until it knows that ML will get over his serious injury. Difficult situation to navigate. 
    Which would have been crazy. Even if during last season they had given him a raise and extended it by a year, that would have given both parties some security, instead of him now coming back 5 months away from being able to talk to European clubs.
  • Redhenry said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    Id like to think Tracey and Carl would both be telling him to sign a new contract and not to be leaving on a free, even moreso after us spending a fortune on his rehab and sending him to St georges
    They will be telling him to secure his future and get the most money available...
    And so they should.
  • Redhenry said:
    CAFCsayer said:
    They will be telling him to secure his future and get the most money available...
    Also given his past issues, signing for a top tier club with top tier medical staff and facilities will probably be quite an attraction along with the money 
  • With his injury record that will put a lot of the bigger clubs off.......needs a good run of about 120 games for us first😉
  • ct_addick said:
    With his injury record that will put a lot of the bigger clubs off.......needs a good run of about 120 games for us first😉
    We’ll never see Miles return 120 games in a Charlton shirt. We’ll do well to see 50.