Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Miles Leaburn - 2023-4 season

Comments

• It's just potential atm and for me once again his performances to date don't match the plaudits. 

Last season he was not an effective target man. He consistently failed to hold the ball up and as a result was shunted out to the right wing. 

He has bulked up considerably since then and may be more effective in that role. But atm it is just potential, albeit a very exciting prospect.
  • Miles also is unlikely to be available for selection until October. 
    Has that been confirmed anywhere? I’m not convinced it’s anything more than a rumour.
  • Scoham said:
    Miles also is unlikely to be available for selection until October. 
    Has that been confirmed anywhere? I’m not convinced it’s anything more than a rumour.
    I think the hope is that he’s back in full training in September so I’m guessing available in October 
    Has that been confirmed? They initially said he’d be out for 4-5 months, even for our medical team 10 months seems crazy. 
  • edited July 4
    He's a brilliant all round striker - the strength and physicality to hold up the ball, great finisher, the pace to play wide in a 3 if required, very technical. Once fit i can see him being in high demand!

You are correct but 3 big injuries in just 2 seasons has stopped him being consistent and he was being bossed in some games by average League 1 CB's.
    His ceiling is high ( needs to be Sam !) and I wish him one injury free season where he is our star player and we get 5 million + add ons from a Premier club and we reinvest the amount in the team.

That's the best scenario possible but lots of ifs and buts in that.
  • edited July 4
    He's a brilliant all round striker - the strength and physicality to hold up the ball, great finisher, the pace to play wide in a 3 if required, very technical. Once fit i can see him being in high demand!

You are correct but 3 big injuries in just 2 seasons has stopped him being consistent and he was being bossed in some games by average League 1 CB's.
    His ceiling is high ( needs to be Sam !) and I wish him one injury full season where he is our star player and we get 5 million + add ons from a Premier club and we reinvest the amount in the team.

Are you sure about that?
  • If he can play a full season I think he has the ability to get 25+ in the league alone, I think he will be one of the biggest beneficiaries from Jones management, just imperative we get him on a new deal ASAP so we are not in a tricky situation come January 

he certainly fits the bill as an NJ type of striker it seems
  • He's a brilliant all round striker - the strength and physicality to hold up the ball, great finisher, the pace to play wide in a 3 if required, very technical. Once fit i can see him being in high demand!

His ceiling is high ( needs to be Sam !) and I wish him one injury full season where he is our star player and we get 5 million + add ons from a Premier club and we reinvest the amount in the team.

Are you sure about that?

'Injury full' edited to 'injury free' but I hope that wasn't a Freudian slip !
  • Sponsored links:

• A fully fit Miles Leaburn for a season…. Paired with Ahadme, Godden, Kanu and Chuks for 5 mins a game is much stronger than last season.

i know it’s a cliche but Miles really will be like a new signing 
     Assuming he can re-find his pre-injury form.
  • @Swisdom do you have any idea if a contract has been mentioned? Can see why Miles would be reticent to sign one but would love even a years extension so we can get a fee in the summer as other players have done in the past
  • I don't believe most of what we are told about injuries but haven't we been told that given his age we are trying to do this right which precludes rushing him back.
  • I don't believe most of what we are told about injuries but haven't we been told that given his age we are trying to do this right which precludes rushing him back.
    When the person themselves says 2 months until he is playing again, I have to believe it.  I know he might be managing expectations, but I doubt he is going to lie to 30 kids sitting in front of him, he does not seem that type of person.  

It appears (at last) we are 
    1. Keeping our business to ourselves and do not have leaks all over the club as in recent years
    2. Treating our asset (Leaburn) well for the best chance of a successful career.  

Just need to extend that contract now...... 
  • edited August 16
    The club need to ease him back in, as they are doing. You can mend the physical damage of an injury to an extent but what we don't know is the psychological damage having major injuries over two seasons and that has to be worked on.

Also, I remember Carl Tiler saying on returning from long term injuries that your muscles need to readjust to being an active athlete again and this can take time even after playing again, meaning you are susceptible to other injuries.

• When does his contract run til?
  • Sponsored links:

• When does his contract run til?
    It's not ready to start running yet. Probably six more weeks in the gym, building up its muscles, and then only some light running after that. 
  • edited August 16
    When does his contract run til?
    End of this season. Tough one for both sides. We won’t want to commit for a long contract that pays top dollar to find him sitting injured for 2-3 years; he won’t want to let his current deal run down with his injury record I suspect but equally won’t want to accept a low ball offer.
    I hope he is tied up soon. Maybe an extra year or two works for both sides as shorter but gives both some protection.

Z Mitchell, Small and L Jones contracts all expire this coming summer too and need extending urgently.
  • BalladMan said:
    I don't believe most of what we are told about injuries but haven't we been told that given his age we are trying to do this right which precludes rushing him back.
    When the person themselves says 2 months until he is playing again, I have to believe it.  I know he might be managing expectations, but I doubt he is going to lie to 30 kids sitting in front of him, he does not seem that type of person.  

1. Keeping our business to ourselves and do not have leaks all over the club as in recent years
    2. Treating our asset (Leaburn) well for the best chance of a successful career.  

Need to see how he has recovered from injury first. The game is full of players who experienced a serious injury when young and were never the same when they returned.
  • sm said:
    BalladMan said:
    I don't believe most of what we are told about injuries but haven't we been told that given his age we are trying to do this right which precludes rushing him back.

Need to see how he has recovered from injury first. The game is full of players who experienced a serious injury when young and were never the same when they returned.

Miles isn't a lightning fast striker, where his speed is what makes him lethal, and an injury slowing him down would take away 50% of his game 

His control and height will give him a very good career 
  • sm said:
    BalladMan said:

Miles isn't a lightning fast striker, where his speed is what makes him lethal, and an injury slowing him down would take away 50% of his game 

His control and height will give him a very good career 
    Miles is actually meant to be our quickest player.  Whilst he doesn't have the 5-yard acceleration of Tyreece - once he's up to speed he's very very fast with that gigantic stride