Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Staff at Charlton being relieved of their duties

Comments

• swordfish said:
    If this 'Mr Smith' wants to be believed, why is he hiding behind the image of a young John Hurt 🤔
    cause that's Hurt playing Smith in the film of 1984
  • Scoham said:

Why has a Chelsea fan with (as far as I can see) nothing to do with our club been engaging himself with this?

Whats the angle here?
  • Scoham said:

Why has a Chelsea fan with (as far as I can see) nothing to do with our club been engaging himself with this?

Whats the angle here?
    He's also tweeted about going after Chris Farnell back when he was a problem - So wouldn't be surprised if he's a Chelsea / Charlton fan
  • Scoham said:

Whats the angle here?
    angle = WUM twatting for likes and attention
    it's succeeding isn't it
    "sources"
    nebulous predictions
    classic lightweight bullshit from a keyboard worrier narcissist
  • edited July 2022
  • edited July 2022
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

How can anyone equate cutting a few jobs on 20 odd k a year with cost cutting when we have just signed 4 players on 20 odd k a month?
    I doubt the club is paying players fresh out of L2 a rate of £5k a week, but regardless the appropriate comparison is with last year’s football budget, i.e. these costs offset by the wages saved on players who have left. More players had to be signed regardless of ability/cost or we would not have been fielding a team, but these contracts MAY nonetheless be a saving not an increased commitment.

in addition, the production controller job hasn’t been cut, it’s being advertised, so the saving is likely to be much smaller.
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Leaving it late to appoint a 1st team opposition analyst aren't they? 
    Depends how long it's been advertised (of which I have no idea if a day or 6 months).

Maybe I'm out of touch (although do have a daughter who graduated last summer from Uni) and this is to a degree a 'local job' - but £25k a year for 40 hours a week PLUS match days for a Graduate AND already having 2 years experience seems a tall order. If you assume 5 hours a match day x minimum 23 matches (I'm assuming not home and away!) is a little over £11 an hour. I'm pretty sure my daughter part time whilst studying was on around £11 an hour at Waitrose.

I get budget restraints, but do feel for anyone whose gone through Uni doing a sports science degree, coming out with a minimum 2:1, having 2 years work experience at a Pro club for the 1st team all to earn £25k. Still at least they won't pay much of their student loans back!

Still, as I said earlier, it's either the going rate and they'll get someone, or it's not and they won't quite achieve the candidate criteria they are looking for.

That’s the reality for graduates these days. Unless you’re coming out of Oxbridge you have to battle for a 25k graduate job
  • Sponsored links:

• Smithy said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Leaving it late to appoint a 1st team opposition analyst aren't they? 
    Depends how long it's been advertised (of which I have no idea if a day or 6 months).

Maybe I'm out of touch (although do have a daughter who graduated last summer from Uni) and this is to a degree a 'local job' - but £25k a year for 40 hours a week PLUS match days for a Graduate AND already having 2 years experience seems a tall order. If you assume 5 hours a match day x minimum 23 matches (I'm assuming not home and away!) is a little over £11 an hour. I'm pretty sure my daughter part time whilst studying was on around £11 an hour at Waitrose.

I get budget restraints, but do feel for anyone whose gone through Uni doing a sports science degree, coming out with a minimum 2:1, having 2 years work experience at a Pro club for the 1st team all to earn £25k. Still at least they won't pay much of their student loans back!

Still, as I said earlier, it's either the going rate and they'll get someone, or it's not and they won't quite achieve the candidate criteria they are looking for.

That’s the reality for graduates these days. Unless you’re coming out of Oxbridge you have to battle for a 25k graduate job
    Except this is advertised as a post graduate job (i.e. 2+ years experience) and importantly is more hours that usual (circa 42 hours a week) so is in realty a £21k job. I agree it's 'a battle' but I don't know of any true graduate jobs that only pay £21k (In London/South East) for a contracted 35 hour week, let alone one where they've been employed for 2+ years or being asked to contract to at least 7 more hours a week than standard to get to £25k. 

My daughters job post graduating whilst she decides what she wants to do - one of the assistant managers of a fast food chain store - is over 50% more than that (and arguably you don't need a 1st in Maths to do her job!).

I've said before it's either the going market rate or it isn't and that will decide whether the role gets filled and if so by whom. All companies have budgets, just seems these are on the pretty low side, so you'll either end up with below calibre individuals or people using it as a stepping stone to something better and will move on In a year or two.

• The going rate is what people can reasonably afford to live on given the cost of accommodation nearish to the job.
    As a minimum.
    The concept is not a new one. Anybody ever hear of ‘London weighting’?
  • seth plum said:
    The going rate is what people can reasonably afford to live on given the cost of accommodation nearish to the job.
    As a minimum.
    Reckon the going rate is more to do with what people are willing to do the job for. If companies, or this case, football clubs, can fill the position for peanuts money, they're going to unfortunately. 

• Gribbo said:
    seth plum said:
    The going rate is what people can reasonably afford to live on given the cost of accommodation nearish to the job.
    As a minimum.
    Reckon the going rate is more to do with what people are willing to do the job for. If companies, or this case, football clubs, can fill the position for peanuts money, they're going to unfortunately. 

When people willingly allow themselves to be exploited and dumped on, bosses use them as an example as to what everybody else should expect too.
    I reckon that in some workplaces there is collusion between a boss and a worker for the worker to be a Trojan Horse for exploitation on the promise they will get appropriately. ‘sorted out’ later.

• seth plum said:
    Gribbo said:
    seth plum said:
    As a minimum.

When people willingly allow themselves to be exploited and dumped on, bosses use them as an example as to what everybody else should expect too.
    I reckon that in some workplaces there is collusion between a boss and a worker for the worker to be a Trojan Horse for exploitation on the promise they will get appropriately. ‘sorted out’ later.

Not everyone sees themselves as being exploited though. If they can afford to take a pay cut to work for their beloved Club, they'll more than likely do it (they might also think it'll look good on their CV) Not saying its right, just that I think these situations are different from other people who are, as you say, being exploited by unscrupulous bosses in others industries.

Is it right for newspapers and magazines to use articles written by people for nothing? Not really, but it's a good way for aspiring journos to beef up their portfolios, so they do it. 
  • If people work for nothing how do they pay their bills?
  • seth plum said:
    If people work for nothing how do they pay their bills?
    I take it your not a parent. 🤭
  • Redrobo said:
    seth plum said:
    Yes I am.
    If people work for nothing and the parents or relatives or friends or the state pays their bills, then it is the parents, relatives, friends and the state that is being exploited.

• seth plum said:
    Redrobo said:
    seth plum said:
    Yes I am.
    If people work for nothing and the parents or relatives or friends or the state pays their bills, then it is the parents, relatives, friends and the state that is being exploited.

I was hoping you would take my comment in the light hearted way it was meant.

But you are correct. If everyone had a decent wage we could all enjoy a decent life.
  • Redrobo said:
    seth plum said:
    Redrobo said:
    seth plum said:
    Yes I am.

But you are correct. If everyone had a decent wage we could all enjoy a decent life.
    Apologies, yes you were being light hearted and I should have seen that.
    I am somewhat blinded to humour in some areas due to my outlook on life.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    seth plum said:
    Redrobo said:
    seth plum said:
    Yes I am.

But you are correct. If everyone had a decent wage everything would just cost a lot more
  • T_C_E said:
    I was happy to work for the club and for free, I felt privileged to be doing it but I was paying around £125 per visit to do so. 
    Could I afford too? 
    No I couldn’t not for long anyway, only when I was asked to attend on a weekly basis was money mentioned when I told them I couldn’t afford to do so.
    The club seemed genuinely surprised that wasn’t just some bloke with some dogs who wandered around doing people a favour I am sort of organised with qualifications and insurances etc that all have to be paid for.
    The club offered me £80 based on the information which I gave I accepted for two or three visits until for other reasons than financial I quit, would I go back ? 
    Yes I would and with price of fuel I’d be further out pocket, working with the people I met was a pleasure, standing alone in The Valley laying some memories to rest was something I would have and did pay for.
    I don’t have mortgage or children to pay for, but I can certainly see the pull of working for your favoured football club despite poor pay.

Nice, I missed a trick there, I used to help the groundsman out a lot in the late seventies, I should have booked travel expenses!!!, wouldn’t have got much though, I lived in Harvey gardens!!🤣, great memories though, I think it was Mo I used to help, lovely old fella.
  • paulfox said:
    T_C_E said:
    I was happy to work for the club and for free, I felt privileged to be doing it but I was paying around £125 per visit to do so. 
    Could I afford too? 
    No I couldn’t not for long anyway, only when I was asked to attend on a weekly basis was money mentioned when I told them I couldn’t afford to do so.
    The club seemed genuinely surprised that wasn’t just some bloke with some dogs who wandered around doing people a favour I am sort of organised with qualifications and insurances etc that all have to be paid for.
    The club offered me £80 based on the information which I gave I accepted for two or three visits until for other reasons than financial I quit, would I go back ? 
    Yes I would and with price of fuel I’d be further out pocket, working with the people I met was a pleasure, standing alone in The Valley laying some memories to rest was something I would have and did pay for.
    I don’t have mortgage or children to pay for, but I can certainly see the pull of working for your favoured football club despite poor pay.

Nice, I missed a trick there, I used to help the groundsman out a lot in the late seventies, I should have booked travel expenses!!!, wouldn’t have got much though, I lived in Harvey gardens!!🤣, great memories though, I think it was Mo I used to help, lovely old fella.
    Maurice Banham?
  • Dave Rudd said:
    paulfox said:
    T_C_E said:
    Could I afford too? 

Maurice Banham?
    Yes, always appreciated the help.
  • edited August 2022
  • Redrobo said:
    seth plum said:
    Redrobo said:
    seth plum said:
    Yes I am.

But you are correct. If everyone had a decent wage everything would just cost a lot more
    Or companies could be satisfied to make hundreds of thousands in profits instead of millions...   ;)
  • Hearing Ollie Groome made redundant  - source Cawley
  • Yes I’ve been reading that on Twitter. WTF is Sandgaard doing? I’ve lost all my trust in him doing what’s right for the club.

Admin (?) I think the title needs amending to show this latest “redundancy”