Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Eoghan O'Connell signs for Charlton - 3 year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Leuth said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Lavelle arrive with the reputation of someone who can play a bit? I know we didn't see that always under Jackson, but it feels like him and EOC are pretty much inked in now, so let's hope they can develop an understanding
    You’re correct that Lavelle was a player who people said could play a bit, by some of their fans. The general consensus was though is that he was a proper leader and ready for the step up. I had a look at Lavelle for Morecambe in 2020/21 and O’Connell for Rochdale 2021/22 and I have to say, they seem like very different defenders. 

• Options
    I would guess that L2 pitches are rougher which makes accurate passing harder, so another plus.
  • Options
  • Options
    Already mentioned this during the last friendly but think we will do well to sign better than him this year.

Of course may be a complete different proposition against a team like Accrington, in a competitive league one game, but everything I’ve seen from him so far seems to ooze class. 

He will play a massive part in us being able to play attacking football with his vision, passing range, and comfort on the ball. 
  • Options
    Candidate for captain? I would've said Lavelle but he doesn't seem to be guaranteed a place in the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    After a wobbly start, he’s been really good against both QPR and Sheffield Wednesday. More to come I hope.
    I admit that I was starting to have some doubts but he does seem to be getting more dependable and solid as we go so long may it continue.

Hopefully we can have an established first choice CB pairing that work together as opposed to the ever-changing rota of out of position FBs and midfielders of seasons past.
  • Options
    Get Lavelle alongside him and reckon they'd build up a good partnership. Not convinced Inniss is the right fit for us now. 
  • Options
    I thought he had a fine game yesterday.  Was the first time I had seen him.  Decent looking player.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2K4MUdNdMQ

In Conversation | Eoghan O'Connell (October 2022)

• Options
    Cork boi! 🇮🇪
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    He's not the fastest, but if he had pace he would be a top-end Championship player comfortably IMO.

It's a bonus that he's really good on the ball and his passing range is severely under-rated.

He's a key part of this team...

- SofaScore ratings put him top of the Charlton squad for average rating (7.18). Inniss 2nd (7.05) with Kirk and Dobson joint 3rd (7.01).

- FotMob ratings have him third in the squad with a rating of 7.07, behind Dobson (7.22) and Fraser (7.12).

- WhoScored ratings place him 4th (score 6.89), behind Stockley (6.97), Rak-Sakyi (6.95) and Fraser (6.94).
  • Options
    Agreed he had a good game on Monday but he's had more bad games than good , so i'm yet to be convinced. 
    Up against pace he doesn't look at all like a footballer . 
    I hope he proves me wrong. 
  • Options
    Agreed he had a good game on Monday but he's had more bad games than good , so i'm yet to be convinced. 
    He's had 2 bad games.
    Derby (his debut) and one a few weeks back. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's decent, but you can see why he's played most of his football in L1 and L2.
    Not seen enough of him to make a worthy comment but when I’ve seen him he looks slow, wooden and telegraphic. 
  • Options
    He's had 2 bad games.
    He's definitely had more than two bad games but i guess it's about opinions. 
  • Options
    He's had 2 bad games.
    He's definitely had more than two bad games but i guess it's about opinions. 
    I’d say 2 genuinely bad games but then a couple more where’s looked shaky and luckily not been punished enough to get some criticism for it 
  • Options
    I feel like he's a CB who looks very good in a solid, settled defense but a bit lost at sea in one that is less established. At his best, he's very good (at this level) but at his worst he's very shaky.

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    I feel like he's a CB who looks very good in a solid, settled defense but a bit lost at sea in one that is less established. At his best, he's very good (at this level) but at his worst he's very shaky.

I think that’s spot on, but not surprising. We haven’t had a settled back 5 since the second half of the play off winning season and it shows. Even then we could switch Pearce/Sarr but the balance once we signed Purrington massively contributed to our success 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Not sure if this makes sense, but ....

MK Dons and us both had O'Connell and Tucker on their wish-lists.

Tucker signs for MK Dons, we get O'Connell.

Thank you.

What tune is that to Dave ?
    D.😧
  • Options

2. 🍔🤩