Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Eoghan O'Connell signs for Charlton - 3 year deal+++

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Welcome news and with the mini WC break in fixtures may not miss more than a sending off period of games. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻 
  • Options
    Hope he is back soon. Lavelle and Innis for me is right up there with worst centre back pairings we've had and I remember Dailly and Doherty 
  • Options
    Training with the group for the past couple of days

https://www.charltonafc.com/news/boss-gives-injury-update-ahead-lincoln-city
    Probably kills the need to get a center half in.  Unless we can get a really good one.
  • Options
    Notice we have U21 games on the 9th | 17th this month - Hopefully we can get him involved in one or two of them
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Probably kills the need to get a center half in.  Unless we can get a really good one.
    I still think we need one (if we can buy one for next season rather than a stop gap). But it would be contingent on Lavelle leaving. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

I still think we need one (if we can buy one for next season rather than a stop gap). But it would be contingent on Lavelle leaving. 
    Of course we need at least 2 in the summer, but have needed more than one for the last 4 windows.  O'Connell, Innis, Ness and Thomas should be enough to get us through now though.
  • Options
    good news if he'll be available again soon. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Of course we need at least 2 in the summer, but have needed more than one for the last 4 windows.  O'Connell, Innis, Ness and Thomas should be enough to get us through now though.
    Agreed but be nice if we can get one in now. Should just be alright but realistically we have no idea how Thomas and Ness will do. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    It's baffling that we haven't been using these games to improve our senior players fitness until now
    Spot on, proper bizarre and that’s been the case for some time. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    It's baffling that we haven't been using these games to improve our senior players fitness until now
    It's been quite frankly outrageous.  I really can't understand why.  Last season Albie Morgan didn't play a game at all for 3 months.

It's a win win because Deji and Mitchell would have learnt a lot playing with Thomas yesterday.

If the u21s play early in the week and we have no midweek game we should play as many as possible that didn't get minutes at the weekend.  I just don't get it all.
  • Options
    And the kids benefit from having senior pros alongside them too
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    It's been quite frankly outrageous.  I really can't understand why.  Last season Albie Morgan didn't play a game at all for 3 months.

It's a win win because Deji and Mitchell would have learnt a lot playing with Thomas yesterday.

If the u21s play early in the week and we have no midweek game we should play as many as possible that didn't get minutes at the weekend.  I just don't get it all.
    I agree with you - but on the other hand, I would guess that in U21 games it's also important for a Development youngster to get their games in also.

For each senior player in the U21 lineup, there's an U21 player who doesn't get a game - and also perhaps in successive games if his position is regularly filled by a senior needing match practice.

It is a Development team playing in a Development league, rather than the old style Reserve team where 
    Seniors could build match practice and the youngsters gained valuable experience alongside them.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

I agree with you - but on the other hand, I would guess that in U21 games it's also important for a Development youngster to get their games in also.

For each senior player in the U21 lineup, there's an U21 player who doesn't get a game - and also perhaps in successive games if his position is regularly filled by a senior needing match practice.

It is a Development team playing in a Development league, rather than the old style Reserve team where 
    Seniors could build match practice and the youngsters gained valuable experience alongside them.

But for the last 2 or 3 seasons we haven't really had many u21s.  Most of our u21 teams have been made up of u18s.

You can only play 3 overaged outfield players anyway so I think that's a consideration but not a reason to not do it at all.  I think JFC played one u23 game, I remember Lavelle and Morgan playing one or two each.  If a player hasn't played, for what ever reason, for months it's not fair to chuck them straight back into the first team.  Probably doesn't help the injury situation either.
  • Options
    It's not baffling. It's an inherent part of our constant 'unlucky' run with injuries, each season.