Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Eoghan O'Connell signs for Charlton - 3 year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    He's a cousin of one of Ireland's all time GREAT rugby union forwards and captains, Paul O'Connell .. let's hope that tenacity, indomitable will to win, great physical strength, bloody mindedness, calmness under pressure allied to a smooth personality, intelligence and eloquence is a family trait .. welcome Eoghan, (and how is that forename pronounced ? )   :)

Its pronounced the same way as Owen. Very straightforward.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    His first name is commonly pronounced ‘Owen’ which apparently means young fighter.
    From County Cork which is also where the Irish Olympic Rowing gold medalists come from, and also my late mother who came from Rath Luric.
    Cork is quite a singular county with a stunning coastline and an important dairy industry inland. Some parts are pretty remote, other parts are very beautiful indeed.
    Eoghan will have grown up in a nice place, in a country with hardly any class system or sense of deference, and a county where people can be fiesty and assertive and in my experience bow the knee to nobody.
    I hope he is a good player and a winner because I like him already.
    Blarney Castle is in County Cork.
  • Options
    From Cork, he must be part of the Murphia.
  • Options
    From Cork, he must be part of the Murphia.
    Which was my mothers maiden name…Murphy.
  • Options
    My mate was at his wedding the other week and apparently it was between us and MK (although a lot of clubs in for him).

Think it's a good signing as well as one where we've been very competitive with teams around/above us so lots of cause for optimism!
    don't be spreading these positive vibes on here......surely MK Dons blew us out of the water and then changed their minds ;) 
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    It's 'O' as in the letter 'O', 
    'Con' as in the artists Southall & Co
    And 'Nell', as in the Eskimo.

Hope that helps😎
  • Options
    My mate was at his wedding the other week and apparently it was between us and MK (although a lot of clubs in for him).

Think it's a good signing as well as one where we've been very competitive with teams around/above us so lots of cause for optimism!
    Probably the case that both clubs would only sign one of Tucker and O’Connell.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:
    He's a cousin of one of Ireland's all time GREAT rugby union forwards and captains, Paul O'Connell .. let's hope that tenacity, indomitable will to win, great physical strength, bloody mindedness, calmness under pressure allied to a smooth personality, intelligence and eloquence is a family trait .. welcome Eoghan, (and how is that forename pronounced ? )   :)

seth plum said:
    His first name is commonly pronounced ‘Owen’ which apparently means young fighter.

thanks

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    My cousin's son plays top flight premiership rugby and has been capped at England youth levels so far.

I like to believe I leverage a tenacious and rugged approach to my daily Regulatory Compliance job as a result.
    I imagine all your colleagues call you a rucking flanker  ;)
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

seth plum said:

thanks

There’s a name that doesn’t age so well for the Zimmer frame bound Eoighans
  • Options
    Eoghan the one and only
    Nowhere he'd rather play
    Eoghan the one and only
    You can't get the ball away from him

• Options
    seth plum said:
    From County Cork which is also where the Irish Olympic Rowing gold medalists come from, and also my late mother who came from Rath Luric.
    Cork is quite a singular county with a stunning coastline and an important dairy industry inland. Some parts are pretty remote, other parts are very beautiful indeed.
    Eoghan will have grown up in a nice place, in a country with hardly any class system or sense of deference, and a county where people can be fiesty and assertive and in my experience bow the knee to nobody.
    We’re not called the Rebel County for nothing.
    My mates daughter has just won a bronze at the World Rowing championships for Ireland.
    The rowers coming out of Skibbereen are awesome 🤩 
    I visited Skibbereen and coastline (Baltimore)it  about 40years ago on sunny summers  day and it was stunningly beautiful
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Welcome 01

Now who’s next? 11 o’clock announce one of the Swindon players. Ta. 
    Right. It’s 11am. 

Over to @Ollywozere

Olly? Olly!?!
    Not bad. Cheers mate. Bit late though?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    My mates daughter has just won a bronze at the World Rowing championships for Ireland.
    I visited Skibbereen and coastline (Baltimore)it  about 40years ago on sunny summers  day and it was stunningly beautiful
    My goat farm is in Baltimore & I agree, it is stunning 🤩 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Looked up Baltimore, Ireland on Google maps - bloody hell you are right down the southern end of the island of Ireland - looks pretty remote - I bet when the Atlantic gets a good storm up, the weather is pretty racy for you
  • Options
    Sounds like a decent signing and potential captain material? I'm loving the confusion on how to pronounce his name too....my boy is called Odhran, so we're used to people's general confusion 🤣😂 COYA
  • Options
    To the tune of Vieira... whoooahhh:

O'Connell Whooooahhhh,
    O'Connell Whooooahhhh,
    He loves to boss the game, 
    We love to sing his name, 
    O'Connell Whooooaahhh, 
    O'Connell Whooooahhhh,
    He loves to boss the game, 
    We love to sing his name
    REPEAT
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Looked up Baltimore, Ireland on Google maps - bloody hell you are right down the southern end of the island of Ireland - looks pretty remote - I bet when the Atlantic gets a good storm up, the weather is pretty racy for you
    I do stay out of the water when it gets a tad breezy I grant you 😳😂😂
  • Options
    Nice to have you with the squad Eggon yaface O'Connell
  • Options
    O’Connell cousin of Paul O’Connell!

Anybody reckon he'll be coming in as captain? We seem to be shaking things up so I think we might.
  • Options
    To the tune of "oh when the saints'....this is a song of hope!

Oh when the goals
    Stop flying in
    Oh when the goals stop flying in
    It's because of O'Connell
    That the goals stop flying in.
  • Options
    The Madgid Bougherra song fits.
  • Options
    After watching his goal he plays a bit like him too.
  • Options
    Not sure if this makes sense, but ....

MK Dons and us both had O'Connell and Tucker on their wish-lists.

Tucker signs for MK Dons, we get O'Connell.

Thank you.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    O’Connell cousin of Paul O’Connell!

Anybody reckon he'll be coming in as captain? We seem to be shaking things up so I think we might.
    Will be interesting to see if a new look defence makes McGillivray look any better. If Eggs O'Connell can get the defence drilled and organized it might help McG get a bit more decisive.

Not that it excuses McGillivray for a pretty poor season last time out but playing behind a rotating cast of crocks, pensioners and converted midfielders certainly won't have helped his cause.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    After watching his goal he plays a bit like him too.
    Well let's hope he brings more to the table than Madjid did