Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Eoghan O'Connell signs for Charlton - 3 year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    I remember curbs saying once he always looked for players who’ve had a knock back in their careers and therefore are a bit angry and keen to prove doubters wrong, this signing fits that idea, he’s been back down the ladders before working his way up again, I think this will be a key signing.  
    Powell also followed that ethos.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Nice to sign a player that is rated by the majority of their previous fan base.

Happy with that as our first.

I'm sure someone here can dig up someone who says he's rubbish.
  • Options
    Welcome 01

Now who’s next? 11 o’clock announce one of the Swindon players. Ta. 
  • Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Lavelle arrive with the reputation of someone who can play a bit? I know we didn't see that always under Jackson, but it feels like him and EOC are pretty much inked in now, so let's hope they can develop an understanding
  • Options
    Welcome Eoghan. Looks a sensible signing and the leadership qualities are very welcome as that's something we've been badly lacking. I looked cautiously at the "ball-playing" video but was pleasantly surprised by how many (admittedly on a highlights reel) were thoughtful, progressive passes forward - not just sideways prods or slow 60 yard lofts.
  • Options
    Always good to get the first one over the line. See now why we signed him.....he can bloody shoot !!

If you don't get the first one done, you can't get any others.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    We have a friend who used to be a director at Bournemouth. I recall being a guest of his there when we played them and they were absoluely raving about Wiggins. They we talking behind the scenes about a real gem of a player so when we signed him in the summer it got my juices tingling. The same the previous season with BWP and then later with Yann. Danny Hollands too to be fair. A very solid League One player who was experienced and knew where the goal was. These are the signings that get you going and one or two of these will tap my positivity meter into positive. It seems to be stuck on low at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Not sure why everyone appears to be wetting their knickers on the strength of one signing who most haven't even heard of and suggesting this is a statement of intent by the club?

Plus why haven't we had the usual, free transfer bargain basement type of comments?

I'm jus asking, I haven't myself got a clue!
    I think it's because he fits the profile of the kind of player we've been saying we want for once. The market has changed a lot in the last ten years and you can't just buy up all the best players in the league around you, it's far too expensive. As a result a lot of teams are looking down a league to bring in the better players from there. We know that if we're going to play the way Garner wants we'll need a ball-playing CB and we've brought in the ball-playingest of CBs at that level on a free transfer. Sounds like he only re-signed at L2 level because of his relationship with the manager anyway so it looks like we've picked up a L1 level CB for nothing who fits the plan we've laid out. If nothing else it looks like a good start
    Who would have been O'Connell's equivalent at League 1 level last season?

I did note that Peter Clarke (yes, that Peter Clarke ... now at Walsall via Tranmere, but previously from Huddersfield and about fifteen other clubs) made the EFL League 2 Team of the Season at centre-back.  That's 40-year old, ponderous lump, Peter Clarke.
    Harry Darling at MK Dons who’s signed for Swansea?
  • Options
    My mate was at his wedding the other week and apparently it was between us and MK (although a lot of clubs in for him).

Think it's a good signing as well as one where we've been very competitive with teams around/above us so lots of cause for optimism!
    It is always a good sign if there was genuine competition.
  • Options
    We have a friend who used to be a director at Bournemouth. I recall being a guest of his there when we played them and they were absoluely raving about Wiggins. They we talking behind the scenes about a real gem of a player so when we signed him in the summer it got my juices tingling. The same the previous season with BWP and then later with Yann. Danny Hollands too to be fair. A very solid League One player who was experienced and knew where the goal was. These are the signings that get you going and one or two of these will tap my positivity meter into positive. It seems to be stuck on low at the moment.
    The market has changed a lot since then. Champ clubs sign the best L1 players as most European players won’t get work permits. Leicester wouldn’t have been able to sign Yann for example.

I’m sure we’ll sign some from other L1 clubs, but realistically it won’t be a stand out player from a club who finished in the top 6.

Need to find the next Wiggins, Yann etc from smaller L1 clubs and below rather than potential rivals. Hopefully we’re looking at youngsters available from higher up too.
  • Options
    JackB said:
    Saw this guy play for Rochdale against Crawley. Actually said to the Father-in-Law “could do with this guy at Charlton”. That day he was the best player on the pitch easily. Commands the defence, is verbal and definitely Captain material. This is a good first signing for us. I think our fans will love him as he winds up the opposition as well. Good luck Eoghan!

Seeing the picture of him going toe to toe with Chuks Aneke, he looks like a good acquisition at League 1 level with an edge as well as skill. Plus he isn't on the way down but hopefully on the way up.

I prefer footballers with something to prove as long as they have some control. Good pro as Watson and Gunter were we needed to go down a different route with Hungry players but with talent as well. 

They have to blend so we wait to see.
  • Options
    Not sure why everyone appears to be wetting their knickers on the strength of one signing who most haven't even heard of and suggesting this is a statement of intent by the club?

Plus why haven't we had the usual, free transfer bargain basement type of comments?

If a signing who's been relegated from League One and finished 18th in League Two doesn't get your juices flowing I don't know what will !!

Dare you say anything negative while Charlton ride this crest of a fooballing wave and all the playground rose tinted bitches will be out to slap you and your pessimistic brethren down . 
    Thanks for the voice of reason;) @oohaahmortimer
  • Options

I think it's because he fits the profile of the kind of player we've been saying we want for once. The market has changed a lot in the last ten years and you can't just buy up all the best players in the league around you, it's far too expensive. As a result a lot of teams are looking down a league to bring in the better players from there. We know that if we're going to play the way Garner wants we'll need a ball-playing CB and we've brought in the ball-playingest of CBs at that level on a free transfer. Sounds like he only re-signed at L2 level because of his relationship with the manager anyway so it looks like we've picked up a L1 level CB for nothing who fits the plan we've laid out. If nothing else it looks like a good start
    Thanks @Garrymanilow
  • Options
    At least he's tall enough, he isn't injured, has no previous connections with CAFC and he doesn't play for Swindon.

That's got to be a good start. 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Welcome 01

Now who’s next? 11 o’clock announce one of the Swindon players. Ta. 
    Right. It’s 11am. 

Over to @Ollywozere

Olly? Olly!?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Now I want some eggs and ham…
    Let's just call him that.🙂

After all, if you go and live in a foreign country then you just have to accept a different pronunciation of your name. My name gets pronounced in 4 different ways. If anyone asks, I just refer them to my website 😉

And he's Irish - so 'green eggs and ham' it is.

And also, if he plays with Lavelle then we can call him 'Sam I Am'. The perfect partnership.
  • Options
    Very happy to have a Cork boi join 💚🇮🇪
  • Options
    He's a cousin of one of Ireland's all time GREAT rugby union forwards and captains, Paul O'Connell .. let's hope that tenacity, indomitable will to win, great physical strength, bloody mindedness, calmness under pressure allied to a smooth personality, intelligence and eloquence is a family trait .. welcome Eoghan, (and how is that forename pronounced ? )   :)
  • Options
    No relation to Brendan .. just the same clan  :)
  • Options
    My brother in law is a Rochdale fan.

"He's decent but he did lead a shocking defence last season..."

Not a glowing endorsement, but I think he'll fit BG's system and I also like the partnership of two previous captains of a similar age, hopefully they can form a strong and effective partnership.
  • Options
    Nice voice
  • Options
    He's a cousin of one of Ireland's all time GREAT rugby union forwards and captains, Paul O'Connell .. let's hope that tenacity, indomitable will to win, great physical strength, bloody mindedness, calmness under pressure allied to a smooth personality, intelligence and eloquence is a family trait .. welcome Eoghan, (and how is that forename pronounced ? )   :)
    My cousin's son plays top flight premiership rugby and has been capped at England youth levels so far.

I like to believe I leverage a tenacious and rugged approach to my daily Regulatory Compliance job as a result.
    it's ALL in the blood bro !!