Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jackson: Where does he go from here? (P6. AFC Wimbledon)

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Couple of interesting bits in this interview.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/dons-boss-jackson-on-his-formation-plans-and-discusses-player-linked-with-fulham-and-brentford/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=dons-boss-jackson-on-his-formation-plans-and-discusses-player-linked-with-fulham-and-brentford

On formations:

Jackson played 5-3-2 while in charge of the Addicks. Asked if he intended to do the same at Wimbledon, Jackson told the South London Press: “I’ll probably mix it up.

“Once I get in and see everyone on the training pitch and really get to know the players properly then we’ll make more of a judgement call.

“I’ve got certain ideas and different things I want to try out but it is about getting the right people in the right position to be able to do that.

“That is probably something that evolves in the next few weeks.”

On his role:

The Dons are set to appoint a head of football operations who will work alongside Jackson and support him on recruitment, scouting, dealing with agents, contract negotiations and talent identification.

So basically the answer is 'yes i'm going to play 5-3-2 but I don't want to tell every opposition manager right now'. 
    I interpret this differently. It reads that he may have learnt from his time with us and won't be so rigid week in week out. Look at what he has available and play the best formation based on availability. 

It will certainly be interesting to see how he evolves following his set back with us.
  • Options
    This was one of two things that made me doubt his ability to manage.  He even said it above, getting the right people in the right roles.  It was clear we didn’t have the right personnel for 3-5-2, yet he persisted with it.  

The other thing was minor, but sometimes watching his body language from the dugout last year and there were a couple of times where he looked very withdrawn.  Could be for a whole host of reasons, but I remember seeing the hands in the pockets and thinking, the players need some sort of interaction/geeing up, but didn’t get it.  

He may go onto smash it and deliver and of course, a lot depends on his opportunity to bring decent players in.  I’m unsure 
  • Options
    Not looking good.

Home loss to Sutton today
  • Options
    Not looking good.

Still seems to still be sticking with 3-5-2.

I know cabbles made an observation recently about Garner trying out a couple of different formations - but I have to say I’d much rather prefer a manager to have the confidence to admit what they are doing is not working, and try out something new than otherwise. 

It’s a shame because I don’t see JJ getting another manager role if he gets sacked so soon from this one. 
  • Options
    Not looking good.

A local derby too...
  • Options
    National League is about their level.
  • Options
    In the pundits chair on the football league show on ITV4 tonight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Not looking good.

Still seems to still be sticking with 3-5-2.

I know cabbles made an observation recently about Garner trying out a couple of different formations - but I have to say I’d much rather prefer a manager to have the confidence to admit what they are doing is not working, and try out something new than otherwise. 

It’s a shame because I don’t see JJ getting another manager role if he gets sacked so soon from this one. 
    I can’t see him making it mate - I mentioned on another thread I have a good friend who is an AFC fan.  He said they look poor.  He was a club legend here quite rightly, but I’m glad he wasn’t kept on and I can see the Wimbledon job being the last one he has as manager.  I think coaching or an assistant’s role is best for him

Is

I agree though, it does look like his tactical inflexibility could be his undoing. The last thing Garner probably wants is to play 442 but he seems to have realised better that than be out of a job.

I do hope JJ starts to realise this soon.
  • Options
    Was listening to a Wimbledon podcast yesterday. Here were some keynotes:

- Stuck with playing 3 at the back
    - Lose the ball too quickly for the wing backs to get forward and support play
    - Square pegs in round holes
    - Only 1 shot on target the whole game despite losing for the majority of it
    - No plan B

Most want him sacked asap
  • Options
    Was listening to a Wimbledon podcast yesterday. Here were some keynotes:

- Stuck with playing 3 at the back
    - Lose the ball too quickly for the wing backs to get forward and support play
    - Square pegs in round holes
    - Only 1 shot on target the whole game despite losing for the majority of it
    - No plan B

Most want him sacked asap
    They'd done a poll?
  • Options
    General consensus on Twitter isn’t great….too predictable, no plan b etc 

sounds a bit familiar sadly
  • Options
    I feel gutted for JJ but I do think he would have been far better leaving us when he finished playing and started coaching lower leagues. Due to circumstances he got his league management chance too early. If results dont change quickly at AFC he will be gone and its difficult to see him getting anything else unfortunately.
  • Options
    And this is one of the things that would dissuade almost anyone from switching from supporter to any kind of executive role at their football club. It's sport and there are no guarantees. It would be the same here. 
  • Options
    Their fan's expectations of a revival of the golden days of the Vinnie Jones era was always going to collide with reality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Maybe it was Jacksons fault all along :wink:

It's obviously not but him and Bowyer must think they are cursed.  Even when they knew it was bad, off the field stuff got worse.
  • Options
    AFC put all their money into their new ground, including future ticket revenue by selling 5 year season tickets. And they're mainly fan owned to, so there isn't a rich owner to cover losses...
  • Options
    Club legend but a poor manager. 

Naturally want him to do well but his inability to be flexible or change things up will cost him. 
  • Options
    I think anyone think that thinks Jackson is a better manager than Garner clearly doesn't have an opinion worth listening to.

I get that Jackson was a legend but it is clear that Garner is miles above the level of Jackson as a manager. 
    Agreed BG not scared to change things .. JJ was headstrong in staying with a system that clearly got found out 
  • Options
    I don't think their struggles this season are his fault, a few Wimbledon fans I know all thought they'd struggle this season any way. Though if the football is crap to watch and the formation/tactics are too rigid then eventually fans will want him out.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I don't think their struggles this season are his fault, a few Wimbledon fans I know all thought they'd struggle this season any way. Though if the football is crap to watch and the formation/tactics are too rigid then eventually fans will want him out.
    Caught up with my mate again at the weekend and his take was he should be given 3 or 4 more games.  Said the players are trying, but as mentioned above, fans are frustrated and have started to turn on him.  

My uncle doesn’t go to games much anymore but is friend’s with an old pro from the mid to late 80s and as you mention Croydon, there was a feeling among them that tactically Jackson isn’t clued up enough.

I would say this has been confirmed at AFC if he’s bought Gunter in and was playing him at RWB.  That’s a mental decision based on how bad he was for us there at points last season.  It appears Jackson is 3-5-2 regardless and I don’t know where the fascination comes from, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets let go soon.  
  • Options
    I was at the game Saturday , Sutton deservedly won with a patched up defence , AFC created very little. Fans were very supportive during the game but as soon as the final whistle went it turned very poisonous , players abused by the supporters and there were reactions from a couple of players to it .
    Very toxic and Jacko will have his work cut out to turn it around and win back some of the fanbase.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Croydon said:
    Caught up with my mate again at the weekend and his take was he should be given 3 or 4 more games.  Said the players are trying, but as mentioned above, fans are frustrated and have started to turn on him.  

My uncle doesn’t go to games much anymore but is friend’s with an old pro from the mid to late 80s and as you mention Croydon, there was a feeling among them that tactically Jackson isn’t clued up enough.

I would say this has been confirmed at AFC if he’s bought Gunter in and was playing him at RWB.  That’s a mental decision based on how bad he was for us there at points last season.  It appears Jackson is 3-5-2 regardless and I don’t know where the fascination comes from, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets let go soon.  
    Isn't Gunter playing right centre back of the 3? Somewhere he played for us last season before Clare took over.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Croydon said:

Isn't Gunter playing right centre back of the 3? Somewhere he played for us last season before Clare took over.
    That wasn't exactly a success either