Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    Who ever it is needs his own staff and the final say on recruitment.

Else it doesn't matter who it is.
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    Warburton for me.
    why exactly? What’s he achieved recently that’s so amazing?
    Loverly sandwiches 🥪 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    I’d probably be happy with Neil Harris. 
    Of course you would, comrade  ;)
    Sums up exactly where we are right now.
    ’Probably’ happy with a one dimensional hoofball merchant who is a Millwall legend. 
  • Options
    paulfox said:
    why would Harris be what we need, sacked at millwall after a good initial spell, sound familiar??relegated in the end with Gills, just what we need. Let’s not forget Millwall legend. He’s not that good it can be over looked surely.
    "Harris then again took over as caretaker boss on 10 March 2015, when Holloway was sacked.[22] By the time Harris took over, Millwall were already virtually, whilst not mathematically, relegated, however Harris went on to win 2 and draw 4 of his 9 games in charge, almost keeping the Lions in the Championship. On 28 April, the Lions were officially relegated to League One following Rotherham United's 2–1 win against Reading,[23] however, Harris was confirmed as Millwall's permanent manager less than 24 hours later,[24] with his assistant being his 2004 FA Cup Final teammate, David Livermore.

In his first full season as manager Harris led Millwall to the League One Play-Off Final against Barnsley at Wembley after finishing 4th in the League One table and overcoming Bradford City 4–2 on aggregate in the Play – Off Semi-Finals. The Lions lost the play-off final 3–1 to Barnsley.

In 2016–17 season Harris again led Millwall to Wembley after they finished 6th in the League One table and overcame Scunthorpe United 3–2 in the Play-Off semi finals. Millwall won the play-off Final against Bradford City 1–0 to win promotion to the Championship. He also led Millwall to the F.A Cup quarter finals after knocking out 3 Premier League teams Bournemouth, Watford and Premier League Champions Leicester City before losing 6–0 against Tottenham Hotspur in the quarter finals."

Not mentioned is the 8th placed finish during his first season in the Championship.

Plenty above to suggest he may be just what you're looking for.
    Nope!!😂
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Of course you would, comrade  ;)
    Sums up exactly where we are right now.
    ’Probably’ happy with a one dimensional hoofball merchant who is a Millwall legend. 
    He'd love Stockley and Stockley would love him. Get a striker in to run the channels like Gregory used to do for us (Morison did before his legs went all JJ) and the job's a good un  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sandgaard Jnr
  • Options
    What’s Dennis Wise up to these days?
    Trying to get his money from Jimenez?
  • Options
    Neil Warnock would have loved a season of him
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    With your love of an Aussie surely Rolph Harris would be your choice  :)
  • Options
    What about Chris Hughton? 
  • Options
    Not sure, spoiled his CV a bit at Forest.
  • Options
    Think we will see a coach from a bigger club taking on the role. Someone like Beale or with that background. Seems to be the modern way. 
  • Options
    What about Chris Hughton? 
    My sad self would often visit the Forest forum when he was manager there to see how our old friend Lyle was getting on - and I would often read the same criticisms of him that JJ was getting here.

Obvious has more of a successful body of work to look back on than JJ. But does appear to be a little hit and miss. Makes me think that a lot of things have to align for most managers to be semi successful.
  • Options
    Look away now if you have a heart condition or a nervous disposition

The one consolation is Nixon frequently talks shit that doesn't pan out (see numerous mentions on the Shenanigans Bitesize) so probably won't happen.
  • Options
    Despite what he has said about the appointment being quick or slow - he will already have a short list of probably 1 ! - because he’s not going to risk appointing a manager just before pre season who then blames player recruitment for failure. 
    I’d be surprised if we don’t get a foreign manager 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MattF said:
    Would we need to convince a prospective manager to take up one of these performance related contracts as well, or was that reserved for Jackson?
    Reserved for Jackson to get Thomas out of a corner that he put himself in.
    JJ was in a weak position when trying to get appointed as TS was reluctant to take him. Hence the clause. Surely any established manager would just walk away from that small print
  • Options
    I’m not totally opposed to the ‘manager doesn’t pick the players’ if the ownership is going all in on it, rather than flip flopping based on the latest trends. It’s exactly what MK are doing so it can work.

You set the club vision and then you go and recruit both players and coaches that fit that vision. The idea being that you pair them together so that if you lose a player or the manager, you have continuity and not too much changes overall.

What following this strategy is likely to result in is an unknown name coming in. You can rule out almost everyone with previous experience at our level or above. Had you heard of Liam Manning prior to his work at MK? Or Rob Edwards at Forest Green?

I hope Sandgaard has a good handle on youth football in this country because that’s probably the best place to find someone who will accept this style of management.
    Agreed

My big concern is the lack of knowledge within the club about the latest up and coming coaches. What does TS know about the coaches within the England youth setup, or at Big 6 clubs?
  • Options
    ryan mason
  • Options
    I’m not totally opposed to the ‘manager doesn’t pick the players’ if the ownership is going all in on it, rather than flip flopping based on the latest trends. It’s exactly what MK are doing so it can work.

You set the club vision and then you go and recruit both players and coaches that fit that vision. The idea being that you pair them together so that if you lose a player or the manager, you have continuity and not too much changes overall.

What following this strategy is likely to result in is an unknown name coming in. You can rule out almost everyone with previous experience at our level or above. Had you heard of Liam Manning prior to his work at MK? Or Rob Edwards at Forest Green?

I hope Sandgaard has a good handle on youth football in this country because that’s probably the best place to find someone who will accept this style of management.
    I am not against it(though I am against appointing his own son as the head of it). But looking at our recruitment so far I wouldn’t say it is recruiting players for this style. It has worked at MK and FGR but both have been doing it for years and only just getting the rewards now. Sandgaard wants us top 2 next season so although it could be a good long term plan, will he have the patience? 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

I am not against it(though I am against appointing his own son as the head of it). But looking at our recruitment so far I wouldn’t say it is recruiting players for this style. It has worked at MK and FGR but both have been doing it for years and only just getting the rewards now. Sandgaard wants us top 2 next season so although it could be a good long term plan, will he have the patience? 
    Yes that is another factor to take into account. This could be a long, slow and painful process.
  • Options
    U23 coaches under the age of 50 working in Premier League 2…

Brian Barry-Murphy : Man City
    Elliot Dickman : Newcastle
    Jamie Collins : Wolves
    Kevin Betsy : Arsenal
    Deon Burton : West Brom (ex-Charlton…)
    Andy Reid : Forest (ex-Charlton…)
    Alan Neilson : Norwich
    Paddy McCarthy : Crystal Palace (ex-Charlton…)
    Andrew Taylor : Leeds
    Neil Wood/Paul McShane : Man Utd
    Andrew Crofts : Brighton (ex-Charlton…)
    Mark Delaney : Aston Villa
    Mark Tinkler : Middlesbrough
    Andy Myers : Chelsea
    Noel Hunt : Reading
    Pat Lyons : Derby
  • Options
    U23 coaches under the age of 50 working in Premier League 2…

Brian Barry-Murphy : Man City
    Elliot Dickman : Newcastle
    Jamie Collins : Wolves
    Kevin Betsy : Arsenal
    Deon Burton : West Brom (ex-Charlton…)
    Andy Reid : Forest (ex-Charlton…)
    Alan Neilson : Norwich
    Paddy McCarthy : Crystal Palace (ex-Charlton…)
    Andrew Taylor : Leeds
    Neil Wood/Paul McShane : Man Utd
    Andrew Crofts : Brighton (ex-Charlton…)
    Mark Delaney : Aston Villa
    Mark Tinkler : Middlesbrough
    Andy Myers : Chelsea
    Noel Hunt : Reading
    Pat Lyons : Derby
    Good start, but which ones play out from the back with a high press?

Might be quicker to list those who don’t.