Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next manager - Ben Garner confirmed (p256)

Comments

• Options
    How about giving this fella another roll of the dice?

See the source image
    Thankfully, he’s just taken over at CSKA Sofia 
  • Options
    An ex player to keep the finger pointing blame game fun going. 
  • Options
    Curbs !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Big Sam?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    An ex player to keep the finger pointing blame game fun going. 
    Lyle Taylor. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Rumours from Villa is that we started talks tonight with Michael Beale ?
    Are you referring to the tweet which shows a screenshot of an article when we were in talks with Beale? That was from an article last year before Jackson was made permanent.
    When you say "permanent"?
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Roy Keane appointment wouldn't work. Likely to just be a revolving door and he probably wouldn't want the job.

Bit of a shame though as the players need a demanding authority figure.
    I think Keane would be very interested. He’s shown interest in us over the last 18 months
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it'll be less about who we want, but more who wants to come. It'll be either an Adkins Type (previous success but in the wilderness) or someone young in their first job or at a much lower level or potentially someone who just can't land a role elsewhere.

Football is a small world, they all talk or are only one step away in their contact books for direct contact with almost anyone in the game.

No manager will willingly choose us right now if they have sensible other options.
  • Options
    From the bookies list the 5 stands outs are; Ferguson, Keane, Harris, Warburton and Beale. Can probably forget about the rest. 

Ferguson: I actually wouldn’t mind this, definitely a good league 1 manager and will suit the style TS is looking for. Sounds sneaky but use him to get promoted and make the decision early doors if he proves again he can’t cut it at championship level? 

Keane: genuinely my favourite option, only because he’s a character though and I genuinely believe he will have the respect of the players. Has connections in the game. Only issue is I’m not so sure he could get us promoted..

Harris: Objectively the best/safest option. Knows the league and how to get promoted from it, has connections, has an idea of how to get players to play as a team. The obvious issues are he’s a Millwall legend, would he even come to us? 

Warburton: not sure. Certainly the most ‘high end’ choice of the lot, but I’m worried he’s another manager on a downwards spiral like Slade and Adkins. 

Beale: Most exciting option? Well regarded, has some serious connections and apparently is a bit of a master tactician. 

All in all none stand out to me like ‘yeah that’s perfect’ but also I do believe all would be an improvement on Jackson. Time will tell 
  • Options
    Steve Bruce - you heard it here first....
  • Options
    From the bookies list the 5 stands outs are; Ferguson, Keane, Harris, Warburton and Beale. Can probably forget about the rest. 

Ferguson: I actually wouldn’t mind this, definitely a good league 1 manager and will suit the style TS is looking for. Sounds sneaky but use him to get promoted and make the decision early doors if he proves again he can’t cut it at championship level? 

Keane: genuinely my favourite option, only because he’s a character though and I genuinely believe he will have the respect of the players. Has connections in the game. Only issue is I’m not so sure he could get us promoted..

Harris: Objectively the best/safest option. Knows the league and how to get promoted from it, has connections, has an idea of how to get players to play as a team. The obvious issues are he’s a Millwall legend, would he even come to us? 

Warburton: not sure. Certainly the most ‘high end’ choice of the lot, but I’m worried he’s another manager on a downwards spiral like Slade and Adkins. 

Beale: Most exciting option? Well regarded, has some serious connections and apparently is a bit of a master tactician. 

All in all none stand out to me like ‘yeah that’s perfect’ but also I do believe all would be an improvement on Jackson. Time will tell 

If Beale has some proper connections and has some tactical ability that would be good. He is likely going to need to some flexibility with tactics with the players available.
  • Options
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned but what about Andy Woodman? He is former employee, based locally, big personality, was wanted by Gillingham this season, years of experience in coaching allbiet as mainly goalkeeper coach and I reckon would be cheap :)
  • Options
    I think I need a lie down having read these quotes. Whatever anyone thinks of JJ as manager, this is absolute tosh.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/thomas-sandgaard-claims-johnnie-jacksons-departure-will-not-affect-charltons-recruitment-plans/
    I think I’m switching off for a couple of weeks. I have a longer tether than most but Thomas is not doing himself any favours.

All that’s needed is thanking Jacko for his time and service. Stop giving your opinion on areas where you are not qualified. I can’t think of a club that has been successful and harmonious where the owner is so vocal about on field matters.
    Totally agree..The time for talking, Thomas, is over. 
  • Options
    Alex McLeish has been seen around the place. Decent guy, I reckon, but not a third div manager imo.

A Jason double act - Euell and Pearce?

My left field guess is currently loans manager at Norwich so TS may have had dealings re Famewo. None other than Andy Hughes. 
  • Options
    Apparently a very old scrap of discoloured  paper was found under a floorboard at Sparrows Lane this week that read "I hereby swear that if Charlton ever came for me to be the manager I would drop everything and take the job" signed Scott Parker. 

So that's that sorted then! 
  • Options
    Three words: John George Terry 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Letting Jackson go is the right decision IMO. He wasn't a failure but he wasn't a success either and he is still a Charlton legend.

Given the talk around his contract situation you'd have thought and hoped he'd be able to achieve more. The players obviously take a massive amount of blame but I feel what he achieved was par and we need more.

If it was my money I'd have made the same decision here despite how much pressure there is on getting the next appointment right and I'd like to see whoever comes in be able to bring in their backroom team.

Of the names around I'd love Keane just for the entertainment factor but it probably wouldn't work out.

More seriously we should try and go all out for Mowbray given the job he's done at Blackburn and talk of him going back to Scotland means we'd surely be in with a shout of tempting him.

Other than that I have no real preference other than please not McLeish. Would have preferred we kept JJ if that's who we appoint.
  • Options
    paulg1947 said:
    I dont know many managers over there but Ange Postecoglou from Melbourne Australia took on Glasgow Celtic last year, and has now been voted Scottish manager of the year.

I have an uncanny feeling in my water that ex Palarce CB Tony Popovich now manging Melbourne Victory and has taken them on i think 13 matches undefeated (unfortuately being a City supporter) Is a bolter to watch in future, Remember the name

A more realistic choice would have to be Powell or Curbs There seems something wrong with a London team ,run by a manager with a Northern accent .Dont worry Ange and Poppa have accents similar to Sarf London
    Ange is a brilliant manager. His style and tactical knowledge is superb. He's had success pretty much everywhere he's gone, over many many years. 

Popovich isn't in the same class, but a decent manager at A league level. Can't see TS's net casting that wide tbh. 

Aussies sounding like us...?! 🤣🤣 I've been here nearly 30 years, and people wonder how I still speak with a London accent after all these years, and I tell them, I don't want to sound stupid! 

• Options
    How about giving this fella another roll of the dice?

See the source image
    Thankfully, he’s just taken over at CSKA Sofia 
    They lost their first game 5-0 so he could be available soon.
  • Options
    Why Neil harris done absolutely nothing and Gillingham looked worse team I’ve seen at valley in years. 
    Can’t understand this clean brush shit I can’t think of one manager that hasn’t had previous connections with us that has been successful here in the last 40 years. 
    Give Euell a go nothing to lose. 
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    If we can't get Klopp or Guardiola, I'd give it to Euell. I wouldn't say no to Powell either but I would advise him to stay where he is with Spurs and England.