Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Flare throwers

Comments

• Bloody EFL.  Don't they know flares will be back next year?
  • I think making the potential punishment pretty severe is the right deterrent. Too many people thinking it's a laugh to act like pricks so their mates can film it. I doubt someone going on the pitch will actually get a permanent criminal record.
  • Croydon said:
    Broadly speaking good news but not in favour of automatic bans.

It takes away any discretion from clubs and takes no account of the circumstances.

A permanent criminal record seems OTT as well
    And that is nothing to do with clubs or the EFL anyway.

Only courts can convict people of criminal offences and they are only permanent for very serious offences.
  • I think making the potential punishment pretty severe is the right deterrent. Too many people thinking it's a laugh to act like pricks so their mates can film it. I doubt someone going on the pitch will actually get a permanent criminal record.
    But will get an automatic ban from the ground regardless of the circumstances ie celebrating promotion, protesting against bad owners or a child asking for a shirt.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be bans in SOME circumstances but not automatic.

And how long is an automatic ban? One game? One season? For life?

Flares/smoke bombs are stupid and bans are, in nearly all circumstances, justified IMHO. 

PS DFTT
  • edited July 2022
    I think making the potential punishment pretty severe is the right deterrent. Too many people thinking it's a laugh to act like pricks so their mates can film it. I doubt someone going on the pitch will actually get a permanent criminal record.
    But will get an automatic ban from the ground regardless of the circumstances ie celebrating promotion, protesting against bad owners or a child asking for a shirt.
    I'm sure some might think I'm a boring old git but I think everyone can just celebrate promotion from the stands. 
  • Chunes said:
    I think making the potential punishment pretty severe is the right deterrent. Too many people thinking it's a laugh to act like pricks so their mates can film it. I doubt someone going on the pitch will actually get a permanent criminal record.
    I'm sure some might think I'm a boring old git but I think everyone can just celebrate promotion from the stands. 
    Yes, they can I agree but should those who don't be banned or taken to court?
  • What about crowd trouble and you see those not wanting to get involved jump the advertising board to get away. Automatic ban? 

Or people at a club who they feel the owners are ruining going on the pitch to protest. Will they get a criminal record? Same for those  celebrating with the players after a promotion wining victory? 

What about the European teams fans who come over and set numerous flares off. Prison sentence for them as well? 

• Chunes said:
    The problem is that pitch invasions to celebrate promotion/avoidance of relegation last season saw several instances of players/managers being physically or verbally attacked. That cannot be acceptable. Its like anything, the idiotic minority will often spoil it for the majority and the EFL need to be seen as taking a hard line on it.
    Totally unacceptable but those that didn't attack anyone get banned and/or taken to court?
  • Sponsored links:

• What about crowd trouble and you see those not wanting to get involved jump the advertising board to get away. Automatic ban? 

Or people at a club who they feel the owners are ruining going on the pitch to protest. Will they get a criminal record? Same for those  celebrating with the players after a promotion wining victory? 

What about the European teams fans who come over and set numerous flares off. Prison sentence for them as well? 

Which is spoilt by those coming on to taunt the opposition players and fans, as seen in the playoffs where (unlike say our promotions at Carlisle) as the game means the same for BOTH teams and fans, celebrating can quickly turn to gloating at the opposition.
  • Chunes said:
    The problem is that pitch invasions to celebrate promotion/avoidance of relegation last season saw several instances of players/managers being physically or verbally attacked. That cannot be acceptable. Its like anything, the idiotic minority will often spoil it for the majority and the EFL need to be seen as taking a hard line on it.
    Totally unacceptable but those that didn't attack anyone get banned and/or taken to court?
    No they shouldn't because 99.9% of people that do it are there to celebrate and enjoy the moment but that 0.1% that aren't could have serious ramifications for their football club. If it's not fair on the 99.9% that pitch invasions arent allowed blame the tossers who run on to headbutt players.

I very much doubt it will be as black and white as the statement suggests but the EFL have no doubt been asked what they are going to do about the dickhead behaviour being seen at lots of football matches and have responded with, on paper anyway, a pretty strong deterrent.
  • Chunes said:
    No they shouldn't because 99.9% of people that do it are there to celebrate and enjoy the moment but that 0.1% that aren't could have serious ramifications for their football club. If it's not fair on the 99.9% that pitch invasions arent allowed blame the tossers who run on to headbutt players.

I very much doubt it will be as black and white as the statement suggests but the EFL have no doubt been asked what they are going to do about the dickhead behaviour being seen at lots of football matches and have responded with, on paper anyway, a pretty strong deterrent.
    Yeah true the efl like to look like they're doing something when in actual fact they don't/won't do a thing. So my stocks of flares won't go to waste after all. 
  • edited July 2022
    Chunes said:
    I agree it's not ideal but they have to do something to stop it happening. You could say it's best left to the club's discretion and for them to judge each situation independently, but it currently IS left to the club's discretion, and they are in an impossible situation given they're not going to ban their own fans for 'celebrating' (or anything less than the most extreme and severe cases), else the fans are going to turn on the club.

It seems a simple solution that the authorities draw a clear line between the crowd and the pitch and say if you cross it, you get banned.

Do you see another way?
  • Definitely the correct decision. Implement the rules, make everyone aware of them and then there's absolutely no excuse or justification for anyone to get all swivel-eyed when thet get banned for something that they knew was wrong and against the rules.

All very straightforward stuff in reality.
    Which would lead to an almost immediate 50% reduction in attendances at The Tool Box.
    In which case I’m all for it.

• Definitely the correct decision. Implement the rules, make everyone aware of them and then there's absolutely no excuse or justification for anyone to get all swivel-eyed when thet get banned for something that they knew was wrong and against the rules.

Which would lead to an almost immediate 50% reduction in attendances at The Tool Box.

We don't throw flares (as it's proper muggy Palace-esque behaviour) and encroach no more than any other set of supporters, so I think you're wide of the mark  ;)
  • edited July 2022
    Think they should add lifetime bans for people using phone lights in the ground as well.
    And spectators who, in the middle of an incredibly tense match or even one where the game is going terribly, suddenly start bouncing around and waving for the cameras because they see themselves on the big screens  ;)

We don't throw flares (as it's proper muggy Palace-esque behaviour) and encroach no more than any other set of supporters, so I think you're wide of the mark  ;)
    Millwall pitch invaded at the end of the season for no apparent reason !?
  • Sponsored links:

• For isolated incidents they'll ban people but for mass pitch invasions they'll never enforce it.

If 5k people are on the pitch to celebrate promotion/staying up/getting to Wembley in a play off semi, there's no way clubs will automatically ban them all.

But as mentioned, never seen flares being struck.
    May wish to get off your high horse on this one.
    Haven’t there been a few issues at Charlton regarding these?
    Yet to hear of similar at Millwall.
    Dont get me wrong, they are no saints, but people in glass houses…

Not sure you read what I typed. I said we encroach no more than anyone else. I never went in to reasons for the proportionate to other clubs fans encroachments.

Introduce the rule and then nobody has a reason to be on the pitch at any ground.

I'm not sure what you're trying to highlight?!
  • ROTW said:
    Definitely the correct decision. Implement the rules, make everyone aware of them and then there's absolutely no excuse or justification for anyone to get all swivel-eyed when thet get banned for something that they knew was wrong and against the rules.

...shouldn't throw flares?
  • edited July 2022
    ROTW said:
    Definitely the correct decision. Implement the rules, make everyone aware of them and then there's absolutely no excuse or justification for anyone to get all swivel-eyed when thet get banned for something that they knew was wrong and against the rules.

• cafc999 said:
    ROTW said:

Oi, that was against you. He picked up the flare that was thrown from your end :)
  • cafc999 said:
    ROTW said:

Oi, that was against you. He picked up the flare that was thrown from your end :)
    Never let the truth get in the wsy
  • cafc999 said:
    ROTW said:

He's smoking a fat one.
  • edited July 2022

Not sure you read what I typed. I said we encroach no more than anyone else. I never went in to reasons for the proportionate to other clubs fans encroachments.

Introduce the rule and then nobody has a reason to be on the pitch at any ground.

I'm not sure what you're trying to highlight?!
    Charlton have never invaded the pitch for no reason and no one goes on at Wembley - so no you are not like every other club 
  • Stig said:
    ROTW said:

...shouldn't throw flares?