Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Gillingham | Tuesday 15 March 2022 | Match Preview, Prediction, News & Views

Comments

• cabbles said:
    Dobson and Famewo one booking away from a 2 game suspension. It's worrying that Dobson has picked up a lot of bookings in the past few games. It seems inconceivable that our best player since Jacko took over could be rested but is it a possibility?

Not so bothered about Famewo.

I don’t think will see Famewo much again if at all.  I understand he doesn’t want to stay and given the loan maximum, I think he’s played his last game for us 
    He'll get to League Two before we ever do
  • cabbles said:
    Dobson and Famewo one booking away from a 2 game suspension. It's worrying that Dobson has picked up a lot of bookings in the past few games. It seems inconceivable that our best player since Jacko took over could be rested but is it a possibility?

I don’t think will see Famewo much again if at all.  I understand he doesn’t want to stay and given the loan maximum, I think he’s played his last game for us 
     He went to Accrington on Saturday but was taken ill and so didn't play. 
    These days I feel sick at Charlton every game.
  • Leuth said:
    cabbles said:

You are probably correct. 
    The thing that I don't understand is how much worse he has got since he first played for us.
    When he first arrived I thought he looked good enough for the championship. 
    Just what have our coaching staff done to him to make him so much worse. 
  • He could never pass a football, but as his confidence has waned his defending has suffered too. I'd still call him reasonably solid at defending alone, but his work with the ball is just not remotely up to standard
  • paulg1947 said:
    ozaddick said:
    ozaddick said:
    ozaddick said:
    [Snip]

I'm thinking of sitting in the west stand for this one, so I can watch JJ a bit more closely. I'm interested to see his demeanor. 

[Snip]

If you want to see Jacko's demeanour up close have you considered a place on the bench? I'm sure you can't do a worse job than some of our regular red-shirted wastrels have this season.

My snippet of optimism for tomorrow? It's the last Charlton game before the 2022 AFL season kicks off on Wednesday morning at which point I can concentrate on a different bunch of injury-ravaged and under-performing players albeit in royal blue and yellow instead of red and white.
    So you're an eagles fan to boot, you do half pick em mate! 
    To be fair, the last 30-odd years of supporting the Eagles hasn't been too shabby (shame about the name in connection the stripey Nigels, but hey ho) and at least I had the opportunity of seeing one of the greatest ever midfields live at Subi in 2007: Judd, Kerr, Cox, Embley (unfortunately no Cousins that day as I think that was after his "run away from the booze bus" incident).

That was a bloody good team from front to back and it was criminal they only won one flag.
    That was a brilliant team. 
    Dean Cox is a mate of mine. When the English were over there a few years ago for the ashes, we were spanked 5 nil. Cost me a shed load of booze in bets. 
    England, however, made the final of the one dayers, after the ashes series, after winning one game against the kiwi's. Coxy rings me up, wanting to have a wager with me. I told him to feck off, I wasn't prepared to lose more money. So he offered a keg for a carton, if we won. I bit his hand off for that, and England duly won the final easily. The prick never paid up! 
    Keep your AFL 'village green' footy to another shit channel and or post ,not one for the BEAUTIFUL GAME. Yes even watching Charlton its a beautiful game. As for cricket, OMG what a mind numbing spectacle to watch. My late dad took me to the Oval to watch the W Indies in the mid 50s Ramadin  Valentine and Sobers etc, and  I was bored out of my brain, and he never took me again.
      If any Charlton (or any soccer) fans want to compare A F L with soccer just Google AFL. then you will see what i mean Sheeple in Melbourne are literally BRAINWASHED with this shit Just watch commercial TV or pic up a daily newspaper
    Other people have a different opinion to you and they've been "literally BRAINWASHED with this shit"?

Hmm ... interesting approach to take when posting on a discussion forum ...
  • cabbles said:

I don’t think that’s true 
  • Hahaha I missed that, one of the most genuinely unhinged posts in a while (and we live in the ValleyOfTears era)
  • cabbles said:
    cabbles said:

Pretty sure you’ll see Famewo in the squad tonight.
  • Leuth said:
    cabbles said:

You are probably correct. 
    The thing that I don't understand is how much worse he has got since he first played for us.
    When he first arrived I thought he looked good enough for the championship. 
    Just what have our coaching staff done to him to make him so much worse. 
    He’s had some very decent games for us.  I think it was Plymouth at home he was excellent.  He’s also had some very bad games.  

I recall Lincoln away, terrible distribution.  Dean Kiely’esque when attempting to get it down the channels and it kept sailing out for a throw. 

The Bolton away game I wasn’t too bothered by his mistake, they happen to everyone.

For me, because he’s had some okay games and some really bad ones, he’s probably somewhere in the middle and will go on to have an average career.

As I understand it from what a couple of other fans said to me on Sat, he doesn’t want to stay and thinks he can get a move to a Championship club.  I would say he’s at his level now based on age and what I’ve seen of him, but who knows 
  • Sage said:
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:

Pretty sure you’ll see Famewo in the squad tonight.
    Akin Famewo (ill) and Corey Blackett-Taylor (hamstring) are both in contention to return to Johnnie Jackson’s matchday squad.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/62307d0783d2d/match-preview-charlton-v-gillingham
  • Sponsored links:

• Fair enough - I thought he was finished here based on what I’d heard and Gunter coming in
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Jackson cannot pick some of the dross who played on Saturday, and who have been current in this long barren run - No Leko please; no Lee please; No Matthews either. They will not be here next year so bin them now. If we need to, pick (and maybe play) Campbell, Kanu, and other youngsters - at least they will try!

MacG
    Clare Lavelle Famewo
    Jaiyesimi Gilbey Dobson Purrington
    Fraser
    Stockley Washington

Subs - Harness, Gunter, Pearce, Lee, Burstow, Campbell, Kanu
    I wish I had your confidence that players like Leco Lee  and Matthews won't be here next season. 
    I do not believe the clear out of players will be anywhere near good enough. 
    Agree completely. I don't see him getting shot of the ten who are out-of-contact because the management team don't have the balls and Sandgaard doesn't have the budget for ten better players. The loanees will go and those still in contract will remain, regardless of whether or not they are good enough. Sadly most are not but they will be starters come August.
    Most of the out of contract players are the ones that earn the big bucks.   You could easily find better (more useful) players than Watson, Gunter, Matthews, Souare, Washington etc for less wages than they get.

I know this because Burton, Accrington and almost every team in the divison manage it. 

It's nothing to do with budget. 
    You should wash your mouth out including Washington in that list!

But, basically, you're right. 
  • On paper that team looks solid Sage, we go with that we win 2-1, although Gills we rarely pick up the 3 points. COYR
  • Famewo is a promising youngster who seems to have rather lost his way and his confidence amongst the ongoing Charlton shitshow.
    He could probably do with a decent quality, reliable and experienced partner alongside him.
    Instead he has had a glassman, a has-been and a never-will-be or some out-of-position mediocrity.
  • cabbles said:
    Fair enough - I thought he was finished here based on what I’d heard and Gunter coming in
    What had you heard?
  • cabbles said:
    Fair enough - I thought he was finished here based on what I’d heard and Gunter coming in
    Lots of politics around the club right now I think. You may well be right, but I do think he’ll be included still. 
  • Lose tonight and Saturday and he has to go, this run is worse than when Adkins got the can
  • Sage said:
    cabbles said:
    Lots of politics around the club right now I think. You may well be right, but I do think he’ll be included still. 
    Can we blame Grant Basey  ;)
  • Harvey in goal for the U23s today, so presumably one of Henderson or Harness will be on the bench tonight (or starting...)
  • Harness looked good in the pizza cup. Give him a game, why not
  • Sponsored links:

• 352 because that's the Charlton way.

McGillivray
     Clare Pearce  Gunter
    DJ    Dobson  Purrington
            Fraser Lee
    Stockley Washington

1-0

The mortal trinity of Saint Sandgaard, Jarl Jackson and Marquess Martin ascend to godhood and all is forgiven as we head to a strong finish and begin licking our lips at next season's top 2 finish. 

Or, more likely,  0-0

Good point etc etc
  • More gambling advice from your resident tipster (me).

A fiver on us to get relegated will return £400-ish.  If the worst happens, you have a free season ticket for next season.

Yes, yes ... I know it feels dirty when you back your own team to fail, but look at it this way.

You spent a fiver to ensure that we stay up.

OK?
  • Can't believe we are 8/11 favourites to win this evening!?!
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Time for some reassurance.

I confess that the subtleties of gambling are beyond me but, according to Oddschecker, we are currently 4/5 to beat Gillingham, the away win is 4/1 and the draw is 14/5.

It gets better.  Chuks is 9/2 to net the first goal ... although I have a leaning towards Forster-Caskey at 15/2.  Maybe even Ben Watson at 20/1.

We'll be fine.

Yessss!  Forster-Caskey.

Can he do two games in a day, JJ?
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Time for some reassurance.

I confess that the subtleties of gambling are beyond me but, according to Oddschecker, we are currently 4/5 to beat Gillingham, the away win is 4/1 and the draw is 14/5.

It gets better.  Chuks is 9/2 to net the first goal ... although I have a leaning towards Forster-Caskey at 15/2.  Maybe even Ben Watson at 20/1.

We'll be fine.

Yessss!  Forster-Caskey.

Can he do two games in a day, JJ?
    That would make him the Anti-Aneke!!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    cabbles said:
    What had you heard?
    Just a couple of fans on Saturday said to me that they think he doesn’t want to be here next season.  No credible sources, just passing on what they had heard etc.

I wouldn’t be surprised.  I would imagine he thinks he can play a level up and given how poor it is at the moment, morale must be low.  Elliott Lee I would guess would potentially be more up for a permanent move with his dad’s connection to the club and the fact Luton won’t want to keep him on and they’re only a Championship team.

I know Norwich are on their way back to the Championship, but part of me thinks Famewo thinks he can play at that level 
  • cabbles said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    cabbles said:
    What had you heard?
    Just a couple of fans on Saturday said to me that they think he doesn’t want to be here next season.  No credible sources, just passing on what they had heard etc.

I wouldn’t be surprised.  I would imagine he thinks he can play a level up and given how poor it is at the moment, morale must be low.  Elliott Lee I would guess would potentially be more up for a permanent move with his dad’s connection to the club and the fact Luton won’t want to keep him on and they’re only a Championship team.

I know Norwich are on their way back to the Championship, but part of me thinks Famewo thinks he can play at that level 
    I’d heard the same.