Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Gillingham | Tuesday 15 March 2022 | Match Preview, Prediction, News & Views

Comments

• edited March 2022
    Clare has been turd anywhere but RCB in a 3.
  • Jacko needs to get the players to show the same comittment they had when we played Sunderland away. If the players decide not to give that then we will lose. 
  • The bad news is that I've just tested positive and won't be able to go to the game tomorrow

The good news is that I've just tested positive and won't be able to go to the game tomorrow
    Sadly, I'm still testing positive too so its a hiding behind the settee evening for us tomorrow......

...accompanied by a large bottle of wine & a straw.
  • Fanny - I think you'll need more than one bottle tomorrow night, get well soon
  • 2-1 to Charlton.
  • I think we’d win with that lineup but Jackson isn’t the man to take us forward regardless. Fairly confident with that predicted personnel. 2-1 or 2-2.
  • The bad news is that I've just tested positive and won't be able to go to the game tomorrow

The good news is that I've just tested positive and won't be able to go to the game tomorrow
    Didn't Boris unwisely do away with self isolation regarding Covid ?
    He did. At the same time he asked people to be sensible and consider others.
  • Good preview. We really cannot afford to lose this! I would prefer to see Morgan starting in place of Gilbey, but Gilbey is well overdue one of his good games, so who knows. I hope Washington is fit to start. That will make a huge positive difference. If he isn't fit enough to start, then it had better not be Leko up front! The three centre-backs look a bit weak, but that would be the case whoever came in. I might even be tempted to play Jason Pearce if he has recovered enough from Saturday. This is the sort of game where his leadership and experience may be needed. With Washington back I think we should win, although it is going to be a very tough game. I think we may sneak it 2-1, but would take a draw. A loss is unthinkable! 
  • I predict another shitfest from our so called players. I hope I am wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gillingham will be up for this a lot more than our spineless lot . 3-1 away win .
  • ozaddick said:
    [Snip]

I'm thinking of sitting in the west stand for this one, so I can watch JJ a bit more closely. I'm interested to see his demeanor. 

[Snip]

If you want to see Jacko's demeanour up close have you considered a place on the bench? I'm sure you can't do a worse job than some of our regular red-shirted wastrels have this season.

My snippet of optimism for tomorrow? It's the last Charlton game before the 2022 AFL season kicks off on Wednesday morning at which point I can concentrate on a different bunch of injury-ravaged and under-performing players albeit in royal blue and yellow instead of red and white.
  • Neil Harris is no mug and you can be sure the Gills will be at us right from the start.

0-4, and the fastest you see the players run is down the tunnel at the final whistle.
  • So, we've never beaten a team managed by Neil Harris, but we did manage 2 draws against Cardiff when he was there. Sorry to say I'd settle for a draw at the moment with our gutless crew: Gills will be up for it and they will be more than the sum of our parts. Sadly I am coming to the conclusion that JJ hasn't got what it takes, really don't know where our next point is coming from.

Condolences and congratulations 
  • Neil Harris is no mug and you can be sure the Gills will be at us right from the start.

0-4, and the fastest you see the players run is down the tunnel at the final whistle.

Hopefully not...

I personally believe the only thing that can and will help, is if the fans get behind the players and cheer em on. Even if it is completely undeserved.

Jackson should withdraw from any panic and pressure. If that's possible. At least do not show it. Maybe do not wear the heart on the sleeve throughout this particular period.

Just stay as cool as a cucumber. Probably best to go 442 and only make a couple of changes.

Identify Gillingham weaknesses, and play to our strengths.

With a bit of luck, along with the required energy and togetherness. We may nick a point or 3.

• 2-0 Gills. Early-ish goal from a set piece and then catch us late on the break in the second half. Boos from those who've turned up.
  • ozaddick said:
    [Snip]

I'm thinking of sitting in the west stand for this one, so I can watch JJ a bit more closely. I'm interested to see his demeanor. 

[Snip]

If you want to see Jacko's demeanour up close have you considered a place on the bench? I'm sure you can't do a worse job than some of our regular red-shirted wastrels have this season.

My snippet of optimism for tomorrow? It's the last Charlton game before the 2022 AFL season kicks off on Wednesday morning at which point I can concentrate on a different bunch of injury-ravaged and under-performing players albeit in royal blue and yellow instead of red and white.
    So you're an eagles fan to boot, you do half pick em mate! 
  • Absolutely gutted , Mrs said don't think the kids want to go to this cos they're too tired getting in late on a school night .
    Yep no problem .
    She then says just check again with them and three of the cnuts want to go,  only youngest doesn't ffs petrolhead even a yes , I'm sure Peter Kay only said yes cos he wants a fucking burger and chips ffs cat funt 
    furious now , I've got to take them and little shit stays at home with mum .
    Just spat my tea out reading this,brilliant 😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Think you’re being generous with your prediction. Draw at best, for me. We can’t buy a win at the mo …
  • I have not been greatly impressed by MacG since his arrival, and after seeing the video of the first Accrington goal on Saturday, I would hope that he is nowhere on the teamsheet tomorrow. I am fed up with counting the 10-yard passes across the back line, waiting for a midfielder to come deep or a centre half to punt long, and HOPING for a red shirt to win a second ball from a header. Who, too, does any throw-in within 10 yards of half-way in the attacking half invariably go backwards, and usually end up with our keeper - whose punt forward invariably ends with lost possession?
    Can but hope for a change of style, application and result tomorrow...oh, and the change of keeper!
  • rananegra said:
    So, we've never beaten a team managed by Neil Harris, but we did manage 2 draws against Cardiff when he was there. Sorry to say I'd settle for a draw at the moment with our gutless crew: Gills will be up for it and they will be more than the sum of our parts. Sadly I am coming to the conclusion that JJ hasn't got what it takes, really don't know where our next point is coming from.
    League Two 
  • ozaddick said:
    ozaddick said:
    [Snip]

[Snip]

So you're an eagles fan to boot, you do half pick em mate! 
    To be fair, the last 30-odd years of supporting the Eagles hasn't been too shabby (shame about the name in connection the stripey Nigels, but hey ho) and at least I had the opportunity of seeing one of the greatest ever midfields live at Subi in 2007: Judd, Kerr, Cox, Embley (unfortunately no Cousins that day as I think that was after his "run away from the booze bus" incident).

That was a bloody good team from front to back and it was criminal they only won one flag.
  • MacGillivray - Meh

Clare - Meh
    Lavelle - Meh
    Famewo - Meh

Dobson

Jaiyesimi 
    Gilbey
    Fraser
    Morgan (Bow used him there. 

Washington 
    Stockley 
  • I don't know what needs more workon the training ground: our ability to defend set pieces around our box or our tendency to give away the daftest of free kicks in dangerous positions.

I'm hoping for some kind of positive reaction tomorrow but as we're facing an unholy alliance of Scally's unclean with an ex-Spanner in charge I fear it could be an ugly evening.

0-2
  • edited March 2022
    Being done over by those bastards stings slightly less than being routinely embarassed by the Spanners, but only just.

1-2 to the "Do as you likeys"
  • Some prat thought it would be a good idea to agree to take 30 10/11 year olds along to this game - why do I do this to myself?
  • edited March 2022
    all these fancy formations we attempt to execute are just confusing the players, not to mention the poor fans .. get back to 4 4 2 ..  K I S S and we can sort out the Gills who are fighting desperately to keep their place in this league and are in far better form than us .. ex Spanner 'Arris is doing a half  decent job there .. any result would not surprise me, we are in dire need of a win, but I am not (as 'they' say) holding me breath

CAFC 1 v Gillingham 1
  • Sage.

Your match preview tonight reminds me of how much I value your posts & how I wish you were ready, willing & able to increase their number.

And I'm certain that others would welcome that too.

You succinctly & insightfully express what, I would guess, the majority of us think but find it difficult to put into words....Possibly because we lack the knowledge you seem to possess and can merely dance around the fringes of the actual issues at our club that urgently need addressing before it implodes. I'm good at asking questions but tend to baulk at stating what I REALLY believe are the answers, feeling that I am no way equipped to make pronouncements on the situation.

In your "Introduction" you emphasise that "Too many ( players) are not good enough to represent Charlton if Charlton is a club that represents ambition". But when YOU state that fact, together with additional harsh words such as "pathetic" & that the team is one that "lacks desire, passion, character and fight". Many would fervently agree with you but don't have the balls to commit those sentiments to print...and I guess that I am in that category.

We WANT to believe that every player to pull on the red shirt is 100% committed to our club; will give their all and leave nothing on the pitch when the final whistle is blown. And, for me, it's difficult to come to terms with the possibility that I am deluded at times. I WANT to support, cheer on our players, believe in our players, not question their commitment or desire out there on the pitch. You could call it the ostrich approach. Or supporting with heart, not head. 

But it seems the time has come to finally face the reality of our current situation. And it hurts. In some ways it feels like a betrayal to judge those lads so harshly but our famous football club & its future is more important than any player who will not, or cannot give their all for it. Sadly, this will include those who have been signed without, perhaps, due diligence - who will never be a good fit for CAFC & who become casualties of the recruitment system utilised. Maybe that's another story....

Then of course there are additional elements that will have in part contributed to this abysmal season, with the management of the squad & the system adopted in question too. All I'd like to say is that I hope JJ is given the opportunity to choose his squad for next season and the chance to take it forward successfully  and yes, that is definitely a heart over head pronouncement. But he must be judged on results in the end like any other manager and left to do the job with his chosen management team with no outsider influence. 

There is inevitably much more you could share with us, Sage but I applaud your loyalty & the need to keep some thoughts to yourself.

My final thought for tonight is that a decent, winning performance on Tuesday evening will raise everyone's spirits & hopefully pave the way for a reasonable end to the season. 

But, I'd like to hope that the team out there will dedicate this match to "Our Ben" whose funeral will have taken place some hours earlier. A truly inspirational young man who loved this club SO much and had Charlton engraved on his heart. If this team can raise its game and show just what it's capable of, then it must be tomorrow night.

This one's for you, dear Ben.
    Beautifully put. Don’t do yourself a disservice with your ability to express, you summed up the thoughts of many just as eloquently as I or anyone else could’ve. Thank you.