Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Gillingham | Tuesday 15 March 2022 | Match Preview, Prediction, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Gillingham
Tuesday 15 March | Kick-Off: 19:45
Live on Charlton TV (UK included)

Referee: Will Finnie - Previously officiated Charlton in our opening day 0-0 draw against Sheffield Wednesday.

Introduction
Charlton lack discipline. Be it carrying out duties, making the same mistakes over and over again, the pathetic goals we concede, the lack of leaders, or the concerning, yet seemingly unmentioned, number of yellow cards dished out to our players this season being so far and away ahead of any other team in this division. Whether that's a lack of anticipation or players showing frustration, whatever the reasons, likely to be an accumulation of many, it shows a struggling and fragmented side that have performed miserably throughout a season so reminiscent to 2010/11 that it's quite frankly embarrassing. Despite the soundbites we hear, this team lack desire, passion, character, and fight, not to mention a glaring lack of quality. Are the players too friendly with the management team? Do they lack respect for what they're trying to achieve? Are there bad apples within making the whole lot rotten? This horrible season has posed many questions but one answer stands out from the rest. Too many are not good enough to represent Charlton if Charlton is a club that represents ambition. An overhaul is required, and a limp finish will do nothing but epitomise what has been, and undoubtedly will be, our worst ever season. But football never stops and there's another just around the corner. This time a team who looked doomed themselves until a change at the end of January means we now face a slightly rejuvenated side on Tuesday, Gillingham travel to The Valley for the 'A2 Derby' - exciting.

Opposition
Manager: Neil Harris | Stadium: The Scaffolding Stadium, AKA Priestfield Stadium
League Position: 21st | Nickname(s): The Gills
League Form: WLWDLD

Gillingham played away at Doncaster Rovers in a massive game at the bottom on Saturday, winning 1-0, their line up was:

Dahlberg
Tucker | Ehmer | Masterson
Jackson | O'Keefe | Lee | McKenzie
Thompson
Kelman | Oliver

Neil Harris was appointed manager of Gillingham on transfer deadline day and has picked up 14 points and 5 clean sheets from his 9 games in charge. In the same time, we have picked up 4 points and kept just the 1 clean sheet. Prior to his appointment, The Gills had won just once away from home all season, now they've won their last 2 away games, keeping clean sheets in both, and have overtaken us in the away league form table. However, staying up for Gillingham is still going to be a tough ask. With fixtures after Tuesday evening including Sheffield Wednesday, Accrington Stanley, Sunderland, Wycombe, Portsmouth, and Rotherham, they're going to have to pick up points against the sides vying for promotion to give themselves a chance.

The Gills do have a two or three players to call upon though. Jack Tucker is a centre back who has got a lot of attention from Charlton supporters over the last 12 months and will be out of contract in the summer. Whether he is a player we, or Martin Sandgaard, has identified we will find out, but he has been crucial to their success in shutting teams out of late. Behind the front two is Ben Thompson. A midfielder Harris will know well from his days at Millwall, he is a player who can be a talent in League One. Up front, Oliver scored an impressive total of 20 goals in all competitions last season but has struggled to have a similar impact this time round.

Charlton Team News
As the cut off point for a 2 game suspension for 10 yellow cards is 37 games, players like Dobson and Famewo (if involved) must avoid showing that lack of discipline if they wish to be available for selection for the rest of the season. Washington returned to the squad after a month out from a hamstring injury so you would anticipate he starts alongside Stockley for the first time in 15 games, at home to Cambridge United on 11th December. Blackett-Taylor, who was also out with a hamstring injury, travelled up north to Stanely but was not deemed fit enough to be included. You would hope he can make the 18 this time. In some really positive news, Forster-Caskey is set to play for the U23s on Tuesday at Watford, with the aim in getting 45-60 minutes, it will be a timely return to game time for the midfielder. Good luck, Jake. 

Although Stockley scored our first goal in an eternity, it was from the penalty spot meaning we have not scored from open play since the 7th minute against Wigan on 12th February. In fact, we haven't scored with our feet from open play since Washington's goal against AFC Wimbledon on 5th February. Something has to change and it must start now.

I believe a large number of the players either aren't good enough or don't want to be here enough and with that will mean huge changes in the summer. Maybe the less I say the better because we are all feeling it, and we all have our own opinions on the players and the situation and of course, much talk has been about the formation. But whatever happens from this point on, I hope we start to see a bit of true discipline and togetherness to be able to pick up the points that we need to at least restore a tiny little amount of pride.

Subs: Harvey, Pearce, Matthews, Blackett-Taylor, Morgan, Lee, Burstow
Prediction
Harris will be right up for this knowing we are a damaged and wounded animal. We are weak with huge vulnerabilities. It's Jackson's job now to pick a team that care enough to want the 3 points. It's not going to be pretty and a worrying statistic is that we have won just once in a midweek fixture all season, at home to Ipswich. Maybe we need to play a team in blue, maybe that will be the case on Tuesday. I won't hold my breath, but we shall see.

Charlton Athletic 2-1 Gillingham
Washington
Stockley

Comments

• edited March 2022
    Brittle, disjointed, demotivated collection of players lacking leadership, drive, charisma and game-changers comes up against rejuvenated shitheap led by ex Millwall legend.
    We're shit and they know we are.
    0-3 Gillingham.
  • A hugely important and potentially pivotal game in this dire season. Lose and we will find ourselves in very serious trouble.

I don't suppose there is a cat in hells chance of a change to this failing formation but I would prefer to see Morgan in for Gilbey - at least Albie doesn't try to hide and is fully committed.
  • I think this could be Jackson's last stand. 1-3 Gillingham.
  • Good preview @Sage, and you described us as a wounded animal from Gillingham's perspective, well we need to react like that wounded animal or we are done for, we need to get a few wins, and soon...so why not start Tuesday.....score irrelevant as long as we get one more than them....
  • 0-2 unless we get another dodgy penalty, then 1-2.  We can’t defend and have no goals in us.  No evidence of that turning round v Gills
  • I don't think this ends well for us. 
  • ozaddick said:
    First of 2 games I'm going to watch for almost 3 years for me, AFC Wimbledon next Tuesday is the other i'd love to go to, so I really want to see a battling, fighting performance, with some skill on show.  Yeah I know, wishful thinking!!

I'm thinking of sitting in the west stand for this one, so I can watch JJ a bit more closely. I'm interested to see his demeanor

As for the team, I'd drop MacG for Harness. The rest, well, it doesn't seem to make much difference. 

I am looking forward to seeing Dobson play, and Fraser, that's about it. 

@Henry Irving, is the museum open pre game mate? I may as well enjoy some part of my evening! 

I can't put up a losing prediction on a game I'm coming to watch after so long away, so gonna go with a 2-1 win, stocks and wash to score, but the reality this season is we'll lose this one too. 

Regardless of the squad we have, the inept performances of late,  it will be brilliant being back at the valley supporting my club, with a Charlton legend as manager again. 

COYR'S...!!!!!!! 
    On a side note, has anyone had the Charlton tv hospitality package before, and if so, was it a good experience? I'm thinking i may as well enjoy the evening, because the football will probably be crap! 
  • Sponsored links:

• not quite a must win game, but a must not lose I think.

don't know why, but fancy us to turn up if Stockley and Washington start.

both to score in a 2-1 win
  • Gillingham Currently 7/2 on Skybet. Wonder if the bookies have really done their homework. 
  • If Gillingham beat us tomorrow and Fleetwood win, then we are in serious trouble.

When Jackson was caretaker manager, our form was top 4 in the league.

Since he got the job, the form must be bottom 4
  • Dave2l said:
    If Gillingham beat us tomorrow and Fleetwood win, then we are in serious trouble.

Bar the 2 new manager bounces we have had bottom 4 form for over a year now. 
  • Can they bring back the sofa please, so I can watch from behind it tmrw night…..
  • This mob have turned me into a glass half empty fan, that’s what they’ve done.  I can see a resilient Gillingham turning up and sneaking a goal then clinging on for dear life.  0-1, toxic reaction from what little fans will actually attend.
  • 1-1. Terrible game. Will be worse than the game play at their ground this season. Most importantly stops a relegation candidate picking up 3 points. 
  • Pedro45 said:
    Jackson cannot pick some of the dross who played on Saturday, and who have been current in this long barren run - No Leko please; no Lee please; No Matthews either. They will not be here next year so bin them now. If we need to, pick (and maybe play) Campbell, Kanu, and other youngsters - at least they will try!

MacG
    Clare Lavelle Famewo
    Jaiyesimi Gilbey Dobson Purrington
    Fraser
    Stockley Washington

Subs - Harness, Gunter, Pearce, Lee, Burstow, Campbell, Kanu
    I wish I had your confidence that players like Leco Lee  and Matthews won't be here next season. 
    I do not believe the clear out of players will be anywhere near good enough. 

Matthews is out of contract and Leko's loan expires. We may not be moving on players under contract, but I think it's safe to say those two won't be around given their form this season and the fact that neither has been particularly trusted despite playing multiple positions. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks for an excellent preview. 
    At Accrington, Washington made many runs from a onside position looking for the through ball. 
    There were too few, and his frustration was visible. 
    Something is wrong with the overall tactics if we don’t play to our strengths. 

And please, when the oppo have a set piece / corner, please leave a speedy player(DJ or CBT) in the centre circle so we can occupy 2 defenders and counter attack/prevent a recycled attack. 
    This is such a basic defending tactic - and we seldom do it - it’s just asking to be hemmed back in our own box. As soon as we go behind, it’s game over. There is an overall lack of confidence which should have been reset with a decent result against Sunderland, but (IMO) there is something wrong behind the scenes (again) - probably to do with Jacko’s contract status. 
  • @Sage - Great preview, albeit a depressing read at present! I like the team you've suggested, even though I don't rate DJ...and definitely not at RWB!

If we lose tomorrow, and I've got a feeling we will, then Jacko has to bin the 3-5-2 until the summer. Play 4-4-2 with the right players in the right positions to get us out of this hole and maybe he'll see more reason to change his future tactical plans.
  • It's a back four for me at the moment, aim for a clean sheet and you never know we could pinch it 1-0.
  • Dave2l said:
    If Gillingham beat us tomorrow and Fleetwood win, then we are in serious trouble.

Not bottom 4. Just bottom.
  • edited March 2022
                     Harness
    Gunter  Lavelle  Famewo  Purrington
                      Dobson
                  Clare   Gilbey
                       Fraser
             Stockley    Washington

We won't play it, but I'd like to see us try.
  • Pedro45 said:
    Jackson cannot pick some of the dross who played on Saturday, and who have been current in this long barren run - No Leko please; no Lee please; No Matthews either. They will not be here next year so bin them now. If we need to, pick (and maybe play) Campbell, Kanu, and other youngsters - at least they will try!

MacG
    Clare Lavelle Famewo
    Jaiyesimi Gilbey Dobson Purrington
    Fraser
    Stockley Washington

Subs - Harness, Gunter, Pearce, Lee, Burstow, Campbell, Kanu
    I wish I had your confidence that players like Leco Lee  and Matthews won't be here next season. 
    I do not believe the clear out of players will be anywhere near good enough. 
    I'm not confident either, but for the good of the club, we have to explore other options that will come under the same budget but be better long term players. Get rid of Gunter and Watson too please!
  • With Stockley and Washington back and Fraser's fitness improving we can't be that far off full strength (Innis/JFC and maybe CBT the only obvious first teamers).

We should beat a poor Gulls side.

They have a bit of form/confidence, Harris likes a bit of hoof ball which our defenders and keeper can't deal with.  I suspect we will wilt and lose 0-2 with little to no shots.  I hope I am wrong.  

Win this and we are looking at safety, draw and it maintains a decent gap.  Lose and we are firmly in the crap.
  • Ive wanted us to be harder to beat and do the simple things to pinch results. Would happily take us being boring and methodical.

For me that would require a change in formation and that isnt going to happen...definition of insanity anyone?

At this point, we are relying on other teams to be worse than us to win games and that is a hell of a drop in expectation. 1 shot after Accrington going down to men is quite honestly disgusting and the players should hang there head.

Cant see anything other than a Gillingham win at the moment. 

One bonus....its 2 for Tuesday at Dominos so thats a result.
  • No expectation at all ; Only the hope that with Washington and Stockley we have the possibility,small as it is, of a win.