Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Gillingham | Tuesday 15 March 2022 | Match Preview, Prediction, News & Views

Comments

• Pedro45 said:
    Jackson cannot pick some of the dross who played on Saturday, and who have been current in this long barren run - No Leko please; no Lee please; No Matthews either. They will not be here next year so bin them now. If we need to, pick (and maybe play) Campbell, Kanu, and other youngsters - at least they will try!

MacG
    Clare Lavelle Famewo
    Jaiyesimi Gilbey Dobson Purrington
    Fraser
    Stockley Washington

Subs - Harness, Gunter, Pearce, Lee, Burstow, Campbell, Kanu
    I wish I had your confidence that players like Leco Lee  and Matthews won't be here next season. 
    I do not believe the clear out of players will be anywhere near good enough. 
    Agree completely. I don't see him getting shot of the ten who are out-of-contact because the management team don't have the balls and Sandgaard doesn't have the budget for ten better players. The loanees will go and those still in contract will remain, regardless of whether or not they are good enough. Sadly most are not but they will be starters come August.
  • Jackson's refusal to abandon 3-5-2 threatens to relegate us. We don't have the players for it and in practice it's a shaky 5-3-2 which is why we create so little in midfield and even less upfront. Ordinarily, we should be expecting to wallop Gillingham, Burton and Wimbledon but this is extraordinarily. We need to be looking at 4 points minimum but that would need an all-out attacking display that we haven't seen since Portsmouth away - I am still not convinced that Jackson was behind that showing either. Jackson is too conservative and will will instead look to keep all three tight and hope we get a break. Trouble is, we will invite pressure and we can't resist it at the moment. Six defeats in seven and I can't see him making the changes we need. That Yeovil bloke is clearly making zero impression since his arrival.
  • Pedro45 said:
    Jackson cannot pick some of the dross who played on Saturday, and who have been current in this long barren run - No Leko please; no Lee please; No Matthews either. They will not be here next year so bin them now. If we need to, pick (and maybe play) Campbell, Kanu, and other youngsters - at least they will try!

MacG
    Clare Lavelle Famewo
    Jaiyesimi Gilbey Dobson Purrington
    Fraser
    Stockley Washington

Subs - Harness, Gunter, Pearce, Lee, Burstow, Campbell, Kanu
    I wish I had your confidence that players like Leco Lee  and Matthews won't be here next season. 
    I do not believe the clear out of players will be anywhere near good enough. 
    Agree completely. I don't see him getting shot of the ten who are out-of-contact because the management team don't have the balls and Sandgaard doesn't have the budget for ten better players. The loanees will go and those still in contract will remain, regardless of whether or not they are good enough. Sadly most are not but they will be starters come August.
    Most of the out of contract players are the ones that earn the big bucks.   You could easily find better (more useful) players than Watson, Gunter, Matthews, Souare, Washington etc for less wages than they get.

I know this because Burton, Accrington and almost every team in the divison manage it. 

It's nothing to do with budget. 
  • 2-1 to Gillingham and an awful game.
  • Think we’ll win. 2-0
  • Thought a reality check might be in order….

Palace just took 4 points v Man City this season, the majority view on here is that we’ll take a single point from the mighty Gillingham this season.  Not sure how we got here, but it wasn’t pretty.

Broken record here though, there is still something seriously wrong behind the scenes impacting morale, recruitment, training, recruitment, tactics, strategy, formation and recruitment.  Sadly, I doubt a stint in division 4 will improve any of those things……
  • ozaddick said:
    ozaddick said:
    [Snip]

I'm thinking of sitting in the west stand for this one, so I can watch JJ a bit more closely. I'm interested to see his demeanor. 

[Snip]

If you want to see Jacko's demeanour up close have you considered a place on the bench? I'm sure you can't do a worse job than some of our regular red-shirted wastrels have this season.

My snippet of optimism for tomorrow? It's the last Charlton game before the 2022 AFL season kicks off on Wednesday morning at which point I can concentrate on a different bunch of injury-ravaged and under-performing players albeit in royal blue and yellow instead of red and white.
    So you're an eagles fan to boot, you do half pick em mate! 
    To be fair, the last 30-odd years of supporting the Eagles hasn't been too shabby (shame about the name in connection the stripey Nigels, but hey ho) and at least I had the opportunity of seeing one of the greatest ever midfields live at Subi in 2007: Judd, Kerr, Cox, Embley (unfortunately no Cousins that day as I think that was after his "run away from the booze bus" incident).

That was a bloody good team from front to back and it was criminal they only won one flag.
    That was a brilliant team. 
    Dean Cox is a mate of mine. When the English were over there a few years ago for the ashes, we were spanked 5 nil. Cost me a shed load of booze in bets. 
    England, however, made the final of the one dayers, after the ashes series, after winning one game against the kiwi's. Coxy rings me up, wanting to have a wager with me. I told him to feck off, I wasn't prepared to lose more money. So he offered a keg for a carton, if we won. I bit his hand off for that, and England duly won the final easily. The prick never paid up! 
  • Got a feeling we’re going to get an ugly win.  We’ll score first, so that will give us something to hold onto.

It will be painful, but I have this feeling, we’ll get over the line.

We’ll get our tweet from Pearce at 10.05, thanks for sticking with us blah blah great to get 3 points.

• Another grim night at a half filled Valley 0-2.
  • Dire 1-1
  • Sponsored links:

• We.will.win.this 

2-1. Washington & Fraser
  • The players are indeed partly to blame. But Jacko has proved he hasn't got what it takes to impose a style of play, fire up his team and make the necessary tactical decisions to change a game.

I'd like to see him replaced now not in late September. 
  • Can't wait for tonight's game - should be a footballing feast.
  • We.will.win.this 

2-1. Washington & Fraser
    Posted at 1.15am - clearly you have either been hacked, or very pissed - either this is not the @golfaddick we know, or you have gone ga ga

Wibble
  • Not great times generally, and a win, or even a point, would be most welcome at Seed towers. 
    Just wish JJ could think of some way of making us less predictable. 
  • Dobson and Famewo one booking away from a 2 game suspension. It's worrying that Dobson has picked up a lot of bookings in the past few games. It seems inconceivable that our best player since Jacko took over could be rested but is it a possibility?

Not so bothered about Famewo.

• Dobson and Famewo one booking away from a 2 game suspension. It's worrying that Dobson has picked up a lot of bookings in the past few games. It seems inconceivable that our best player since Jacko took over could be rested but is it a possibility?

I don’t think will see Famewo much again if at all.  I understand he doesn’t want to stay and given the loan maximum, I think he’s played his last game for us 
  • The valley to Gillingham is like the stadium of Light is to us …
  • The valley to Gillingham is like the stadium of Light is to us …
    No it’s not and you know that 
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe it's time for Gilbey to be given a RWB slot. He has the energy, can attack the line and he hardly offers anything in the final third from a central role, so it could suit him. I'm not sure on his positional discipline. 
  • mendonca said:
    Maybe it's time for Gilbey to be given a RWB slot. He has the energy, can attack the line and he hardly offers anything in the final third from a central role, so it could suit him. I'm not sure on his positional discipline. 
    Have heard worse ideas. But can he tackle? Not so sure. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    mendonca said:
    Maybe it's time for Gilbey to be given a RWB slot. He has the energy, can attack the line and he hardly offers anything in the final third from a central role, so it could suit him. I'm not sure on his positional discipline. 
    Have heard worse ideas. But can he tackle? Not so sure. 
    Not sure either. Sadly, we should have found out by now. Am just think having him there might put some lungs in the wings which we really don't have for our Charltonised version of wing backs.
  • ozaddick said:
    [Snip]

I'm thinking of sitting in the west stand for this one, so I can watch JJ a bit more closely. I'm interested to see his demeanor. 

[Snip]

If you want to see Jacko's demeanour up close have you considered a place on the bench? I'm sure you can't do a worse job than some of our regular red-shirted wastrels have this season.

My snippet of optimism for tomorrow? It's the last Charlton game before the 2022 AFL season kicks off on Wednesday morning at which point I can concentrate on a different bunch of injury-ravaged and under-performing players albeit in royal blue and yellow instead of red and white.
    AFL Season kicks off--Really. What an overrated 'village green' football code that is. compared to the 'beautiful game'. I'd go as far as saying watching Charlton is far better than watching that shit, Seriously, WTF am i missing something?
      Charlton 1---Gills ---1
       Melbourne City 2---Melbourne Victory---1
  • cabbles said:
    Dobson and Famewo one booking away from a 2 game suspension. It's worrying that Dobson has picked up a lot of bookings in the past few games. It seems inconceivable that our best player since Jacko took over could be rested but is it a possibility?

I don’t think will see Famewo much again if at all.  I understand he doesn’t want to stay and given the loan maximum, I think he’s played his last game for us 
    More bad news.  He was a strong talented young hope when he first joined on loan and just slowly deteriorated.  

• ozaddick said:
    ozaddick said:
    ozaddick said:
    [Snip]

[Snip]

To be fair, the last 30-odd years of supporting the Eagles hasn't been too shabby (shame about the name in connection the stripey Nigels, but hey ho) and at least I had the opportunity of seeing one of the greatest ever midfields live at Subi in 2007: Judd, Kerr, Cox, Embley (unfortunately no Cousins that day as I think that was after his "run away from the booze bus" incident).

That was a bloody good team from front to back and it was criminal they only won one flag.
    Dean Cox is a mate of mine. When the English were over there a few years ago for the ashes, we were spanked 5 nil. Cost me a shed load of booze in bets. 
    England, however, made the final of the one dayers, after the ashes series, after winning one game against the kiwi's. Coxy rings me up, wanting to have a wager with me. I told him to feck off, I wasn't prepared to lose more money. So he offered a keg for a carton, if we won. I bit his hand off for that, and England duly won the final easily. The prick never paid up! 
    That will mean the square root of f*** all to about 99% of posters on here but, f*** me, that's one hell of a ** CLANG ** name drop!

Don't tell me you also have Buddy wander round to borrow a cup of sugar ...
  • ozaddick said:
    ozaddick said:
    ozaddick said:
    [Snip]

[Snip]

Keep your AFL 'village green' footy to another shit channel and or post ,not one for the BEAUTIFUL GAME. Yes even watching Charlton its a beautiful game. As for cricket, OMG what a mind numbing spectacle to watch. My late dad took me to the Oval to watch the W Indies in the mid 50s Ramadin  Valentine and Sobers etc, and  I was bored out of my brain, and he never took me again.
      If any Charlton (or any soccer) fans want to compare A F L with soccer just Google AFL. then you will see what i mean Sheeple in Melbourne are literally BRAINWASHED with this shit Just watch commercial TV or pic up a daily newspaper
  • I am guessing a 1-1 dour draw---Their goal will be a curling in swinging free kick .where our defenders, 'lead footed 'allow their forward, to leap above all of em, to head in past  MacG stationary ,on the line
     Our goal Stockley -Disputed ,soft penalty
  • 0-2, shitty bunch of players will again lose
  • edited March 2022
    Charlton Athletic FC
    (@CAFCofficial Twitter)

Charlton's Sky Bet League One fixture away at @AFCWimbledon on Tuesday, March 22nd has been postponed following Chris Gunter's Wales call-up for their World Cup qualifying play-off