Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• edited January 2022
    I’m probably completely wrong, but I reckon it will be a pretty quiet window for us, maybe an out of favour championship striker on loan, who is not getting game time at their club, reckon it will happen in the last week of the window, with a view to making it permanent in the summer, well that’s what I’d be doing anyway, similar to what we did with Stockley last January.
  • We still need another goal scoring football ( hate the term striker). More so with Stockley's injury.
    What's wrong with the term "striker". Thats what they are. They are in the team to score goals. 

So therefore by your definition anyone who scores is a striker. That is one reason why it is a wide term applicable to anyone who scores. It is a juvenile term for kids.
     Centre Forward for me is a better term. Might as well call a CB an Anti Striker because  they are thatvin effect. We still have wingers , full backs etc. Inside forwards and half backs are midfield players. Striker is a crap term compared to the others.
    But that means you can call anyone who plays "up front" a Centre Forward, even if he can't score in front of an open goal. Not much use to anyone then. It's like calling someone a Goalkeeper just because he stands on the goal line, irrespective if he is wearing gloves.....or even has arms.

A non goalscoring Centre Forward is no good to man nor beast. 
  • Not expecting much in the way of business this window, I think TS is beginning to understand how much it takes to run a football club.
  • Swisdom said:
    Jephcott at Plymouth is a big burly attacker but has had a bad season and is out of favour.
    not dissimilar to Stockley was at PNE 

could be worth a look on loan with a view to a permanent 
    31 now isnt he? possibly past his best.

I think a centre forward, a centre back, a left wing back to compete with Ben and possibly someone to push Gilbey/Lee a bit creatively.
  • edited January 2022
    Jephcott's only 21.
  • TEL said:
    Swisdom said:
    Jephcott at Plymouth is a big burly attacker but has had a bad season and is out of favour.
    not dissimilar to Stockley was at PNE 

could be worth a look on loan with a view to a permanent 
    31 now isnt he? possibly past his best.

I think a centre forward, a centre back, a left wing back to compete with Ben and possibly someone to push Gilbey/Lee a bit creatively.
  • edited January 2022
    Scoham said:
    Facebook rumour alert 🚨 

Take that @Dazzler21 with your thread stealing antics ! 😉
     Taken.
  • Jephcott's only 21.
    Ok, seems to have been around a while. Happy to be wrong 
  • I would not send Morgan out on loan unless JFC is definitely close to playing as I see him as cover for Lee. 
    The free role in midfield and with considerably less defensive duties than has been required to date in his games with us could be good.
  • ross1 said:
    I am prepared to be shot down by suggesting the positions we need:

Goalkeeper/s OK
    CB, with Inniss? and Lavelle fit and with Famewo, Pearce and Elerewe OK
    Right Defender/RCB Carey, Matthews, Gunter OK
    LWB, only Purrington, OK, Pape Souare not keen
    CM, Dobson, Lee, Gilbey OK, Watson and Morgan, backup OK
    Wide players,
    DJ, Leko, CB-T, OK, Kirk, backup OK
    Strikers, Stockley, Washington OK, Burstow backup OK, not keen on Davison

I think we need another LWB and a striker, especially if Stockley has an injury problem, and possibly another CM. With luck with injuries, I can see this squad getting us into or very near to play offs

Not forgetting some of the good youngsters coming through
    Watson and Morgan might be ok as backup in league 2, but not for a side who wants to get promotion out of league 1.

I agree with you on a striker and LWB, but i think we also need another Dobson type player plus a creative player to compete with Lee.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    I would not send Morgan out on loan unless JFC is definitely close to playing as I see him as cover for Lee. 
    The free role in midfield and with considerably less defensive duties than has been required to date in his games with us could be good.
    You mean the role he played in the first 4 games of this season?  That everyone said was part of the problem? 
  • I am remaining loyal to the other 'original' thread. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    I would not send Morgan out on loan unless JFC is definitely close to playing as I see him as cover for Lee. 
    You mean the role he played in the first 4 games of this season?  That everyone said was part of the problem? 
    This. Lee is the only midfielder we have who is capable of playing attacking enough in a three. I'm not sure where Morgan's best position is mainly because he's failed to impress but he showed nothing at the start of the season, nor has he done much since (albeit limited game time). 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Under Adkins, and in a 433 when many other players struggled.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Under Adkins, and in a 433 when many other players struggled.
    It's a similar midfield 3 shape though, it being under Adkins wasn't the problem for the first 4 or 5 games.  Morgan has never done anything consistently to suggest that would could rely on him for any period of time. 
  • We still need another goal scoring football ( hate the term striker). More so with Stockley's injury.
    What's wrong with the term "striker". Thats what they are. They are in the team to score goals. 

So therefore by your definition anyone who scores is a striker. That is one reason why it is a wide term applicable to anyone who scores. It is a juvenile term for kids.
     Centre Forward for me is a better term. Might as well call a CB an Anti Striker because  they are thatvin effect. We still have wingers , full backs etc. Inside forwards and half backs are midfield players. Striker is a crap term compared to the others.
    But that means you can call anyone who plays "up front" a Centre Forward, even if he can't score in front of an open goal. Not much use to anyone then. It's like calling someone a Goalkeeper just because he stands on the goal line, irrespective if he is wearing gloves.....or even has arms.

This is Charlton Life at its best.

Can we not just settle on Goal Shooter though? 
    Likely academic as we probably won't sign one (either definition) !  :(

Depends what the other attacking players do though. The season Liverpool strolled the league by 18 points from City, Firmino played every game and only scored 9 goals.

This is Charlton Life at its best.

Can we not just settle on Goal Shooter though? 
    Likely academic as we probably won't sign one (either definition) !  :(
    Don’t need one, we have Martin Sandgaard with the most football knowledge, reads the game better than everyone and has a very powerful shot
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Morgan was given a free role?
    I think many thought the problem was that the three up front contributed very little to defending, leaving the three in the middle stretched and unable to cope. All I saw was three midfielders running around trying to fill the gaps as the opposition flooded through.
    Dobson was being given stick and not thought to be good enough in an impossible situation. Now he has an achievable role he is excelling. 
    I think Morgan could set up others, although my concern with both Lee and Morgan is the lack of goals. I think it is reasonable to expect an attacking midfielder not playing in a three to score about 10 goals a season. I think JFC would, hence only if.
  • Sponsored links:

• 995632 said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Not a rumour just a random thought , do you think Jacko could talk Tony Watt back ? If so would we even want him or am I just being completely unrealistic 
    What is the fascination again with ex players who either didn't want anything to do with us/refused to sign contract extensions/refused to play/were a massive bad influence who allegedly caused issues in the changing room?
    So, does mean that Kevin Lisbie has a chance???
  • I’ve heard we’re in for Firmino. 
  • Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Morgan was given a free role?
    I think many thought the problem was that the three up front contributed very little to defending, leaving the three in the middle stretched and unable to cope. All I saw was three midfielders running around trying to fill the gaps as the opposition flooded through.
    Dobson was being given stick and not thought to be good enough in an impossible situation. Now he has an achievable role he is excelling. 
    I think Morgan could set up others, although my concern with both Lee and Morgan is the lack of goals. I think it is reasonable to expect an attacking midfielder not playing in a three to score about 10 goals a season. I think JFC would, hence only if.
    If not free certainly the most advanced of the 3.

The problem in the 1st 4 games was we had 13 senior players, no left back, a half fit center half and a few players that weren't good enough.  One of which was Morgan. We also happened to play 4 of the best teams in the division.

If you still think Morgan is the answer to our problems this season I would suggest your probably asking the wrong questions. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Swisdom said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Not a rumour just a random thought , do you think Jacko could talk Tony Watt back ? If so would we even want him or am I just being completely unrealistic 
    He’s signed for Dundee United
    Not yet I’d just noticed they were in for him but not confirmed 
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59796062

He's going there in the summer at the latest. Motherwell and Dundee are haggling over what the price would be to have him move now. No chance of him heading anywhere else, unless Motherwell decided to loan him out until the summer.
     Not entirely true, players have changed their mind before their contract start date on more than one occasion. 

Watt though will stay in Scotland. Likes to be the big fish in the small pond.
    Fair enough. Ponds don’t get much bigger than League 1. 

If you play 2 strikers, which one is the centre forward?

• More rumours on the other thread by the way.  
  • Uboat said:
    I’ve heard we’re in for Firmino. 
    This was just a rumor after someone overheard Sue Parkes asking for a “large apéritif” and presuming she was suggesting signing him 
  • This is getting very confusing and weird..two threads with the same target of rumours..god it is hard enough as the month progresses keeping up with one let alone two rumours threads... ;)
  • a striker or 2 has to be the priority but i'm certain we will also be trying for a holding midfielder as back up to Dobson