Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Only - January 2022 Transfer Rumours (Deadline Day p.97)

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:
    Lavelle in no universe displaces Clare at the moment. He is the long-term Pearce replacement. Inniss clearly can play LCB or RCB; he's a super-powered bench option or can be rotated with Famewo and Clare if need be. 
    Clare has been a revelation at RCB. It's his best position within our current set up.

Another non goal scoring midfielder. Playing brilliant at RCB and shouldn’t be moved.
    Indeed. My point exactly. Don't risk moving him to plug a hole in the team elsewhere.

You'd risk unsettling him and the defence. Right now, Clare is a cornerstone of the team.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Leuth said:
    Lavelle in no universe displaces Clare at the moment. He is the long-term Pearce replacement. Inniss clearly can play LCB or RCB; he's a super-powered bench option or can be rotated with Famewo and Clare if need be. 
    Clare has been a revelation at RCB. It's his best position within our current set up.

Another non goal scoring midfielder. Playing brilliant at RCB and shouldn’t be moved.
    Indeed. My point exactly. Don't risk moving him to plug a hole in the team elsewhere.

You'd risk unsettling him and the defence. Right now, Clare is a cornerstone of the team.

The beauty of the current system is it hides of lot of weaknesses.  The problem with the squad is all the players have lots of weaknesses (which is why they are league 1 players) and you can't hide them all in the same system.   
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Jephcott at Plymouth is a big burly attacker but has had a bad season and is out of favour.
    not dissimilar to Stockley was at PNE 

could be worth a look on loan with a view to a permanent 
    My boss who is a Plymouth fan, says we have been enquiring about him especially during the close season.
  • Options
    The issue of signing Leko is like all the wide players we don’t have a role for him in the current set up. I’d sign him but not for this formation.

He’s not a striker, his best form in the Champ was playing as a roaming number 10 in behind Lyle. which played to his unpredictable style.

we’re not playing that position now and IMO he can’t be relied on as a regular goal scorer.

If we did sign him maybe he should be tried in the Elliot position?
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    The issue of signing Leko is like all the wide players we don’t have a role for him in the current set up. I’d sign him but not for this formation.

He’s not a striker, his best form in the Champ was playing as a roaming number 10 in behind Lyle. which played to his unpredictable style.

we’re not playing that position now and IMO he can’t be relied on as a regular goal scorer.

Bowyer used Leko as one the front two in a 4-4-2 diamond. It was Williams (Oztumer for the Forest game) who played that number 10 role behind Leko and Taylor.

Like Taylor he was given freedom to drift wide. I see Jackson giving him a similar role when he plays him up front. As with Bowyer’s formation it can lack width and requires strikers and the central midfielders to support the full/wing backs at times.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:

Thats where i'd try him - he's unpredictable which is probably an asset in that position and unlike Lee, can get away from a player (although he probably lacks Lee's vision) - i think he can do the difficult things well but struggles with the simple things - he frustrated me yesterday thats for sure.  
  • Options
    My point was he didn’t lead the line like a typical striker. He was all over the place often wide or deeper.

If Stockley is out then Leko IMO is not the answer especially if played with Conor 
  • Options
    Wheres Matt Smith when you need him?

• Options
    Maccn05 said:
    My point was he didn’t lead the line like a typical striker. He was all over the place often wide or deeper.

If Stockley is out then Leko IMO is not the answer especially if played with Conor 
    Fair enough, agree with that. 

I know many would prefer we sign a quick striker who’s more exciting to watch, but we need an alternative to Stockley. Davison’s not good enough at that role and every other option is better running in behind than holding up the ball and winning headers.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Maccn05 said:

Fair enough, agree with that. 

I know many would prefer we sign a quick striker who’s more exciting to watch, but we need an alternative to Stockley. Davison’s not good enough at that role and every other option is better running in behind than holding up the ball and winning headers.
    If you have to play Leko and Washington as a 2 you probably would be better playing them as split strikers. Then you can't play with wing backs and you create different problems elsewhere. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just throwing it out there apologies if already mentioned but our old friend John Marquis has apparently been frozen out at Portsmouth and they're actively looking to move him on.

A possible short term option and might be happy to settle for a place on the bench when Stockley is back?
  • Options
    cafcwill said:

Joking aside, the Millwall Matt Smith would be a perfect replacement for Stockley
  • Options
    Just throwing it out there apologies if already mentioned but our old friend John Marquis has apparently been frozen out at Portsmouth and they're actively looking to move him on.

A possible short term option and might be happy to settle for a place on the bench when Stockley is back?
    I was impressed by him when he played for Doncaster - thought he worked really hard, had some nouse and caused problems - alright, so he has a bit of millwall baggage but don't recall him ever crossing a line in regards to that so he is one i have always felt could do a job for us in this division.  
  • Options
    cafcwill said:

Joking aside, the Millwall Matt Smith would be a perfect replacement for Stockley
    Would be a brilliant signing in my opinion.  Can see him going to Wigan though 
  • Options

We need short term options like a hole in the head. If we are going to bring in a striker they need to be signed on a 2.5-3 year contract. No more rebuilding every summer  PLEASE  !!

And we don't need short term as this season is over (league wise). Build for the future, not for the next 4 months. 
    If we don't sign anyone at all in January we are 1 or 2 injurys/Covid cases away from a relegation scrap.  So I would suggest we do need something, even if it is initially short term. 
  • Options

We need short term options like a hole in the head. If we are going to bring in a striker they need to be signed on a 2.5-3 year contract. No more rebuilding every summer  PLEASE  !!

And we don't need short term as this season is over (league wise). Build for the future, not for the next 4 months. 
    The future starts tomorrow, right?  If we wait until the summer, we just replicate much of the same team rebuilding situation we've faced every close season for the past 10 years.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafcwill said:

Where is his family based?

He has been in London since 2014. Maybe we could loan him from the Spanners to see if he fits in. 
  • Options

Yes because we're only 6 points clear of relegation at present and can't score goals.

We could do a lot worse than someone who knows where the back of the net is in this league.

I'd love to see us splash the cash and sign a proven young goal scorer at this level too, any suggestions?
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafcwill said:

Where is his family based?

He has been in London since 2014. Maybe we could loan him from the Spanners to see if he fits in. 
    We desperately lack an alternative targetman for the attack when Stockley isn't playing. Washington, Leko and Burstow all like to roam wide, but aren't really No 9s
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A lot hinges on if the 3-5-2 is the formation we’re going to stick with through thick and thin next season. 

For me, we desperately need to improve almost every area of the pitch bar the defence. How much if that we can do in January is anyone’s guess. 

Strikers and attacking midfielders should be the priority, particularly with Stockley having a complicated injury. As for wishful thinking, I’d really love us to bring back Brendan Wiredu. 
  • Options
    Any rumours?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Oggy Red said:

The future starts tomorrow, right?  If we wait until the summer, we just replicate much of the same team rebuilding situation we've faced every close season for the past 10 years.

Not sure if you are replying to me or not, if you are then you are preaching to the converted.

I am advocating bringing in at least one striker NOW, but on a permanent not a loan. Someone who can score 20 goals + & get us out of this League next season.

As I've said many many times....our current crop of strikers/forwards/front men aren't up to the job. Stockley & Washington are ok but neither will get 20 goals - combined might get you 30 a season. 

And even if they did get 35-40 between them you need your midfield chipping in......and ours just don't. Currently Purrington looks the best bet at being higher than any of our midfield in the goal scoring charts. 

Aaargh....
  • Options

Yes because we're only 6 points clear of relegation at present and can't score goals.

We could do a lot worse than someone who knows where the back of the net is in this league.

I'd love to see us splash the cash and sign a proven young goal scorer at this level too, any suggestions?
    No suggestions here as its not my job to find one.

Ask Steve Gallen if he can predict where the FTSE will be on June 30th & if he can get closer than 0.1%  then I'll find you that striker. 
  • Options
    Matt Smith is about the last forward you would want if you plan a pressing game. Can't run. Great to bring on when you are losing with twenty minutes to go, which is how Millwall use him. They will probably stick with him until the end of the season.
  • Options

Ask Steve Gallen if he can predict where the FTSE will be on June 30th & if he can get closer than 0.1%  then I'll find you that striker. 
    If you can get to within of 0.1% I will have you as my financial advisor Golfie
  • Options
    Matt Smith is about the last forward you would want if you plan a pressing game. Can't run. Great to bring on when you are losing with twenty minutes to go, which is how Millwall use him. They will probably stick with him until the end of the season.
    He’d be a replacement for Stockley who also can’t run…
  • Options
    Here's hoping he gets another 20 sub appearances this season
  • Options

You have a 50% success rate then. But moan when the footballing recruitment team have the same...