Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Abuse Messages at Charlton

1235»

Comments

• Major said:
    seth plum said:
    Major said:
    Being an old git, I remember being taught, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me'.
    Works well. The Precious Brigade might like to try it.
    I am a very old git who remembers that rhyme too.
    As I have existed through life I have learned that the rhyme isn’t true.
    I don’t think people damaged by the results of the seeds planted by verbal abuse are members of the ‘Precious Brigade’, but rather they are victims of an attack.
    Well of course you have. Who would have thought anything else? I was referring to name calling and how I did not let it affect me. Hardly seeds planted by verbal abuse, ffs.
    May we revisit the rhyme in a more modern context?

’Sticks and stones may break my bones
    But names will never hurt me’.

The rhyme firstly refers to physical hurt, bones etc.
    Then it implies that names can’t cause the same physical hurt.
    However with the development of awareness of mental health, may I call it mental ‘hurting’(?) we realise the mind, indeed the emotions are capable of being hurt, but in a different way to hurt in the body, the bones.
    It is possible that we both come from the generation that once said to the mentally ill ‘pull yourself together’. Indeed in the past people suffering mentally might be called overly sensitive, or precious.
    However we as a society have learned that mental health is as significant  as physical health. 
    Haven’t we? 
    That name calling, or abuse can diminish another and induce mental suffering. We don’t tend to say ‘pull yourself together’ now do we?

Abuse is a problem, online or out in the open. If certain diminishing tropes about certain races, or gender, are repeated enough without challenge, those tropes become common currency, and woven into the culture. It becomes relevant when for example a woman is interviewed for a job, or a descendent of immigrants is considered for University Entrance.

So my take is that verbal abuse is both an attack on somebody’s personal well being, and also a danger to the cultural fabric of society.
    If an announcement about abuse is made at a cultural event like football it is of help to both the wider culture, but also to a listening vulnerable individual realising they are not alone.

Sticks and stones may well not break my bones, but may well damage my life chances, and may well break my heart.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!