Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Abuse Messages at Charlton

Comments

• JohnnyH2 said:
    Would be good if we could hear it cleary in the covered end  upper once instead of hearing a mumbled Brian Cole in both halfs of every.game
    This.

I've sat I'm the East (sorry, Alan Curbishley) stand for years & could always hear what was being said over the tannoy. This season I've sat in the Upper North and can hardly hear a word that is being said. Even RRR is quiet & indistinct.

Didnt hear any of the annoucements on Saturday so if  I was being racially or sexually abused I wouldn't have known where or how to report it. 
    The tannoy is pretty poor in the East Stand too.
    It's been much better this season. Previous years it was terrible, but now I can hear Brian almost as loud as when he sat on the same row as me  :)
  • Uboat said:
    se9addick said:
    I'm surprised the message is needed. Surely players taking the knee and rainbow cornerflags, armbands and laces have eradicated racism and homophobia in society?

No they haven't, which is why such virtue signaling is irrelevant nonsense.

Initiatives such as the text message system, on the other hand, are enabling direct action, and should be welcomed. I'd like the number of reports using the system to be published, broken down by the nature of the complaints made. 
    If you thought those individual actions were going to single-handedly eradicate racism and homophobia in society then the blame lies with your unrealistic expectations rather than the initiatives themselves. 
    I didn't, I had (have) zero expectation of them. I think they are pointless virtue signalling initiatives that change nothing. Hotlines on the other hand...
    They’re not hurting you and you don’t know what positive effect they might have on those they are intended to support, so I wouldn’t worry about it. 
    Are you assuming I'm a white heterosexual male?

(OK I am...)
  • T_C_E said:
    Ok, so let’s imagine the scenes…..
    Someone reports abuse, not in a text or email but personally , not only do they point them out they name them.
    They convince a once frightened victim of that abuse to come forward and speak out and also name them. 
    Other witnesses name this person as being responsible for being abusive to unnamed victims also comes forward.
    It then comes to light, they have a history of being abusive but it’s never been reported because of fear of repercussions.
    So what happens, do you move the victim to another stand so they no longer become a target or can’t hear what’s been said or do remove the culprit?
    Abuse takes all forms, weather it’s racial, sexual, homophobic or bullying and intimidation it’s all abuse. 
    Asking someone to come forward and report anything is all well and good, but if you do nothing it’s called lip service, 
    if I had been reported at least five times for being abusive I’d expect to be banned not strutting around The Valley like I owned the place. 

You would hope someone that did this in a well run business would have their cards marked...
  • T_C_E said:
    Ok, so let’s imagine the scenes…..
    Someone reports abuse, not in a text or email but personally , not only do they point them out they name them.
    They convince a once frightened victim of that abuse to come forward and speak out and also name them. 
    Other witnesses name this person as being responsible for being abusive to unnamed victims also comes forward.
    It then comes to light, they have a history of being abusive but it’s never been reported because of fear of repercussions.
    So what happens, do you move the victim to another stand so they no longer become a target or can’t hear what’s been said or do remove the culprit?
    Abuse takes all forms, weather it’s racial, sexual, homophobic or bullying and intimidation it’s all abuse. 
    Asking someone to come forward and report anything is all well and good, but if you do nothing it’s called lip service, 
    if I had been reported at least five times for being abusive I’d expect to be banned not strutting around The Valley like I owned the place. 

Indeed.

So maybe the response from the fans to this message put out by our club should be " Practise what you preach " ? 
  • I can’t make out much of the tannoy messages in the north lower .  When the woman get on it at half time I don’t understand a word. But I am a bit mutton. 
  • Ok - I have a question - when the bloke behind me shouts out repeatedly that the opposition goalie is a fuck…ng cheating cu.t - is that abuse that I ought to be reporting ? 
    no,but you can report the ref
  • I wonder if the abuse is just for fans? I’m sure the ref and lino wouldn’t mind someone sending text messages on their behalf or are they excluded from any support from the public?
  • I believe that it is offensive to use racial or sexual discriminatory language and I deplore anyone doing so but I also find it offensive that people feel they can liberally shout out that people are f.cking cu.ts 
    As offensive?
  • Sponsored links:

• If you are racist/homophobic/insensitive user of foul language in the presence of members of the public, go for your life. The stadium will not educate you, and you will contribute to providing a snapshot of British society in 2022.
    It could be more helpful in the long run.
  • Moan moan moan moan moan - it’s what we do 
  • I predicted the nay-sayers, cynics and those that would passively support them as soon as I read the opening post. Only two missing from my list, but one of them is a semi-pro agitator and has probably been told to keep his/her powder dry on this one...   
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Would be good if we could hear it cleary in the covered end  upper once instead of hearing a mumbled Brian Cole in both halfs of every.game
    This.

I've sat I'm the East (sorry, Alan Curbishley) stand for years & could always hear what was being said over the tannoy. This season I've sat in the Upper North and can hardly hear a word that is being said. Even RRR is quiet & indistinct.

Didnt hear any of the annoucements on Saturday so if  I was being racially or sexually abused I wouldn't have known where or how to report it. 
    You get what you pay for.
  • Ok - I have a question - when the bloke behind me shouts out repeatedly that the opposition goalie is a fuck…ng cheating cu.t - is that abuse that I ought to be reporting ? 
    No, but if he made reference to his colour, sexuality, etc. then it would be. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Personally I find it rather annoying. I go to watch football. And before anybody starts I am not in any way condoning racist or homophobic behaviour. 
  • The announcement is very specifically in response to some incidents that took place earlier in the season. 
    Unfortunately, there has been a sudden growth in racist/sexist/homophobic abuse since the return of fans. This has ranged from abuse aimed at players, as well as staff and even an agency photographer who received some pretty horrific abuse during the first two home games of the season and as a result, she hasn't returned. 
    So it's not about grassing up someone who's being a bit sweary towards an opposition player, it's about stamping out the kind of unacceptable abuse which has reared its ugly head more recently. 

This should be on the official club website 
  • The announcement is very specifically in response to some incidents that took place earlier in the season. 
    Unfortunately, there has been a sudden growth in racist/sexist/homophobic abuse since the return of fans. This has ranged from abuse aimed at players, as well as staff and even an agency photographer who received some pretty horrific abuse during the first two home games of the season and as a result, she hasn't returned. 
    So it's not about grassing up someone who's being a bit sweary towards an opposition player, it's about stamping out the kind of unacceptable abuse which has reared its ugly head more recently. 

Was the photographer from the ‘Precious Brigade’ agency, or from ‘Woke PLC’?
    (I made both of those organisations up).
  • seth plum said:
    The announcement is very specifically in response to some incidents that took place earlier in the season. 

Was the photographer from the ‘Precious Brigade’ agency, or from ‘Woke PLC’?
    (I made both of those organisations up).
    You're just reducing Olly's reasoning and justification for the announcements to some casual banter.
  • No, I am relating it to other terms used in this thread.
    My intent is to highlight the absurdity of saying the announcements are unnecessary, or as a result of pressure from the woke or precious brigade

Thanks for this context.

As someone who's never heard anything like this at a game I did think the announcements were a bit OTT at the time. 

But if its a response to actual incidents then I'm supportive. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!