Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Abuse Messages at Charlton

Comments

• Wheres the replies to Chippy gone?
  • I would have thought obvious.

let’s quit all the sparring please 
  • Southbank said:
    Thankfully no announcements tonight. Blessed relief.

Was on the vidiprinter after 80 minutes 
  • If this is necessary then so be it (sadly). I think there might be a better way of communicating it perhaps (it sets a horrible tone for the overwhelming majority who wouldn't dream of behaving that way) and still have the same effect?
  • razil said:
    If this is necessary then so be it (sadly). I think there might be a better way of communicating it perhaps (it sets a horrible tone for the overwhelming majority who wouldn't dream of behaving that way) and still have the same effect?
    But nevertheless reminds them that there is still a significant percentage of the population that do.
  • bobmunro said:
    razil said:
    If this is necessary then so be it (sadly). I think there might be a better way of communicating it perhaps (it sets a horrible tone for the overwhelming majority who wouldn't dream of behaving that way) and still have the same effect?
    But nevertheless reminds them that there is still a significant percentage of the population that do.
    Only if you think that going to football matches should be a kind of morality school for us moral halfwits.
     Sometimes a football match is just a football match.
  • It could be that going anywhere where people are together is a moral school, for everybody.
  • Southbank said:
    bobmunro said:
    razil said:
    Only if you think that going to football matches should be a kind of morality school for us moral halfwits.
     Sometimes a football match is just a football match.
    You may say that, I couldn't possibly comment.
  • I think by implication of my comment I am suggesting that the overwhelming majority don't need reminding..
  • Sponsored links:

• The announcement is very specifically in response to some incidents that took place earlier in the season. 
    Unfortunately, there has been a sudden growth in racist/sexist/homophobic abuse since the return of fans. This has ranged from abuse aimed at players, as well as staff and even an agency photographer who received some pretty horrific abuse during the first two home games of the season and as a result, she hasn't returned. 
    So it's not about grassing up someone who's being a bit sweary towards an opposition player, it's about stamping out the kind of unacceptable abuse which has reared its ugly head more recently. 

Cheers Olly. Is there not a way they can become part of the pre-match, half time routine of the announcer rather than during the game? Or if you have to during the game, just as a big screen segment like the fish stuff?

I understand the reasons why, and it’s no big thing, but it’s a bit of a mood killer 
    It’s pretty clear that the club thinks the incidents were serious enough to make the announcements at a time when people will actually notice them. Many of us get to our seats not long before kick off, and head for the bar/catering on the half time whistle. I’m sure if things improve they’ll shift the timing?
  • Surely the only people who could be stressed or worried about a message saying "let us know if anybody is sexist/racist/homophobic" is somebody who fears being reported for being sexist/racist/homophobic.

Maybe the solution to not being effected by the announcements is to keep your vile thoughts to yourself for a few hours?

We know there's a non-zero number of bigots in the ground at any given time, unless you're one of them then the announcements should have zero effect on you, other than maybe some sadness at the fact that there are still bigots about who feel no shame about sharing that bigotry in public.
    Well said.
  • Major said:
    Being an old git, I remember being taught, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me'.
    Works well. The Precious Brigade might like to try it.
    Me too. And I don't care when it is aimed at me. However, I am able to practice "empathy" and "sympathy" and appreciate that not everyone is as thick skinned as me. And as abuse aimed at me washes over me, so do tannoy announcments.    
    I wish I was more thick skinned. You're right though, not everyone is. Sadly I'm not and easily get upset by names or snide remarks and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.
    If you was thicker skinned your Harris might not be in such a mess
  • bobmunro said:
    razil said:
    It is not a significant percentage, it is a tiny minority.

There will always be idiots; laws, tannoy announcements, public displays of moral virtue culturally imported from far-away places and attempts to create a neo-Stasi state 'to check peoples' thinking' will not change that.

Intelligence, like most things, will show a broadly Gaussian distribution.  Twitter is the perfect demonstration of this, as are football matches.

The stupid, like the poor, will always be with us.

Should people be aware of how they can report abuse? Of course.

Should action be taken against people shouting racist abuse in public? Of course.

Should football become yet another area of life that is politicised because of the latest fashionable moral panic?  That is another question.

Surely, there is a balance to be struck?
  • Chizz said:
    Major said:
    Being an old git, I remember being taught, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me'.
    You're a selfish, ignorant idiot. 
    Bones are still intact.  :D
  • Vincenzo said:
    Major said:
    You won't mind me saying you are an absolute moron then.
    Nope. I really don't care. What do you know?
  • Major said:
    Amazing the amount of abuse Major has received on a thread about reporting abuse...
    Highlights what hypocrites these woker jokers are. NO ONE can have a different opinion, apparently.
    Anyone can have "a different opinion". Mine is that racism is abhorrent and should be eradicated. How different is yours?
  • bobmunro said:
    razil said:

There will always be idiots; laws, tannoy announcements, public displays of moral virtue culturally imported from far-away places and attempts to create a neo-Stasi state 'to check peoples' thinking' will not change that.

Intelligence, like most things, will show a broadly Gaussian distribution.  Twitter is the perfect demonstration of this, as are football matches.

Should action be taken against people shouting racist abuse in public? Of course.

Should football become yet another area of life that is politicised because of the latest fashionable moral panic?  That is another question.

I think it's level of significance depends whether or not you are on the receiving end of the bile spouted by this group or not. I've not been, so I'm quite comfortable that I have no say in what the club decides to do about it. It sounds like you haven't been either, but for some reason allowing the club to make the decision bothers you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sticks and stones might not break your bones, but if I was standing next to someone giving out racism I could be tempted to break a few bones and call of duty aside, I’m not a violent person.
  • Facts are important; feelings cannot be gauged in a way which allows for dispassionate analysis as shown by many of those on here including your good self.

I am talking about statistical significance on which to base perceived statements of fact, as you well know.  It is not to demean the negative impact upon individuals on the receiving end of racist abuse in any way.  Anyone spouting racist bullshit at the Valley should be out on their ear, end of.

Or are 'alternative facts' only acceptable when they support a particular narrative?

A 'significant minority' of Charlton fans attending the Valley spout racist abuse in the ground? Really?

Perception does not equal reality; something that seems to be increasingly lost on a 'significant minority' of posters hereabouts ;)
  • Chizz said:
    Major said:
    Amazing the amount of abuse Major has received on a thread about reporting abuse...
    Highlights what hypocrites these woker jokers are. NO ONE can have a different opinion, apparently.
    Anyone can have "a different opinion". Mine is that racism is abhorrent and should be eradicated. How different is yours?
    Of course racism is abhorrent. Even selfish, ignorant idiots knows that. Being called names does not affect me. It's how I was brought up. Tough if you can't handle that. But do carry on with the name calling, if it makes you feel good.
  • bobmunro said:
    razil said:

Bang on the money as usual.
  • So it's OK to be ageist then, is it? Must have hurt your feelies, eh? (See - I'm learning).
  • edited January 2022
    Facts are important; feelings cannot be gauged in a way which allows for dispassionate analysis as shown by many of those on here including your good self.

I am talking about statistical significance on which to base perceived statements of fact, as you well know.  It is not to demean the negative impact upon individuals on the receiving end of racist abuse in any way.  Anyone spouting racist bullshit at the Valley should be out on their ear, end of.

Or are 'alternative facts' only acceptable when they support a particular narrative?

A 'significant minority' of Charlton fans attending the Valley spout racist abuse in the ground? Really?

Perception does not equal reality; something that seems to be increasingly lost on a 'significant minority' of posters hereabouts ;)
    So what should the statistical significance be, P≤0.05 or some other arbitrary level? 
  • seth plum said:
    Major said:
    I am a very old git who remembers that rhyme too.
    As I have existed through life I have learned that the rhyme isn’t true.
    I don’t think people damaged by the results of the seeds planted by verbal abuse are members of the ‘Precious Brigade’, but rather they are victims of an attack.
    Well of course you have. Who would have thought anything else? I was referring to name calling and how I did not let it affect me. Hardly seeds planted by verbal abuse, ffs.
  • bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    razil said:

Racism and bigotry in general is rife in the UK - I'm a White, Anglo Saxon protes atheist, heterosexual and able bodied so do not know what it's like, but it is there in a significant percentage, ingrained in fact. Denial is a river in Egypt.

As as for the Major and his supporters on here - I'm assuming all are also white, heterosexuals so the worst that they can be called are ignorant c*nts. Sticks and stones and all that bollocks - but names can and do hurt beyond most people's understanding when the prejudice is all around and has been all their lives.

Rife?

This is one of the least racist societies on Earth.  Not saying that there can't be room for improvement, but you are confusing equality of opportunity with equality of outcome, which are two different things.  It also assumes that non-white people have no personal agency, which is the epitome of racism.  I know plenty of non-white folk and not a single one of them has embraced the label of 'victim' as bestowed on them by their self identified white middle-class saviours.  They, are quite the opposite, and proud of it.

Does racism exist, well yes, of course.  Will it ever not? Probably not for a few millenia until we have evolved into something more than a squabbling series of tribes on a slowly flooding planet whose life supporting ecosystems are heading for extinction.

Not everything bad is because of racism.  Remember, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

As shown by a number of incidents recently, the stark reality is that demand for racism (there's money in division and you gotta keep the coin rolling in) far exceeds supply.

The only possible exception for the above statement applies to the Jewish community (and White Protestants, but meh), but people don't really seem willing to address the possible reasons for this, for some inexplicable reason.  Can't think why.

Here's a more up to date Study:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/974507/20210331_-_CRED_Report_-_FINAL_-_Web_Accessible.pdf

Anyway, as per all discussions to this end, all are in their usual entrenched positions and never the twain shall meet.

I can hear the sound of sonar approaching, so will leave it there.

Thanks to all who were willing to have a constructive discussion in good faith.

Good night.

• bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    razil said:

Racism and bigotry in general is rife in the UK - I'm a White, Anglo Saxon protes atheist, heterosexual and able bodied so do not know what it's like, but it is there in a significant percentage, ingrained in fact. Denial is a river in Egypt.

As as for the Major and his supporters on here - I'm assuming all are also white, heterosexuals so the worst that they can be called are ignorant c*nts. Sticks and stones and all that bollocks - but names can and do hurt beyond most people's understanding when the prejudice is all around and has been all their lives.

As usual, the righteous indignation. has blinded from what I actually posted. For the last time I was referring to Name Calling and how I dealt with it. At no point did I condone racism.

If anything, your post is pretty racist.

Put the soapboxes away and have a nice evening, each.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!