Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Abuse Messages at Charlton

I don’t know if anyone on here reads my blog - hopefully some do - but I am perplexed about the Tannoy announcements about sending text messages about Abuse and Hate - I don’t really understand who or what it is aimed at ? I am convinced that there are more individuals using abusive and hateful language to players, referees and opposition supporters than ever before. I’m not a saint and I sometimes swear at games and occasionally lose it a bit but too many people are going over the top with abuse 
I believe they should modify the tannoy messages to make them more meaningful and ask people to be more considerate of others around them 

Comments

• Probably need to save the number on your phone because, unless the abuse is taking place at the precise moment that the message is on screen/read out you won’t have it close to hand.

It kind of makes me a bit uncomfortable, but I understand why it might be necessary (which is a shame in of itself ). 
  • Ok - I have a question - when the bloke behind me shouts out repeatedly that the opposition goalie is a fuck…ng cheating cu.t - is that abuse that I ought to be reporting ? 
    No, I don’t think that’s the intention. 
  • Ok - I have a question - when the bloke behind me shouts out repeatedly that the opposition goalie is a fuck…ng cheating cu.t - is that abuse that I ought to be reporting ? 
    Obviously not

It's for racism and discrimination I:E Homophobia, Sexism.

Not calling the ref a cheater or swearing at the keeper
  • It's a service I could certainly have used in the past. At any rate, I believe it's a league-wide thing, if something I overheard on Saturday was correct.

However, please do let me know if I'm mistaken.
  • Sponsored links:

• I believe that it is offensive to use racial or sexual discriminatory language and I deplore anyone doing so but I also find it offensive that people feel they can liberally shout out that people are f.cking cu.ts 
  • edited January 2022
    There was a massive ruck in the North Lower this season over a bunch of lads shouting racist abuse.
  • edited January 2022
    Would be good if we could hear it clearly in the covered end  upper once instead of hearing a mumbled Brian Cole in both halfs of every.game
    Imo.
    If you've got someone constantly swearing through the whole game I'm sure if reported they would act.
  • se9addick said:
    I'm surprised the message is needed. Surely players taking the knee and rainbow cornerflags, armbands and laces have eradicated racism and homophobia in society?

No they haven't, which is why such virtue signaling is irrelevant nonsense.

Initiatives such as the text message system, on the other hand, are enabling direct action, and should be welcomed. I'd like the number of reports using the system to be published, broken down by the nature of the complaints made. 
    If you thought those individual actions were going to single-handedly eradicate racism and homophobia in society then the blame lies with your unrealistic expectations rather than the initiatives themselves. 
    I didn't, I had (have) zero expectation of them. I think they are pointless virtue signalling initiatives that change nothing. Hotlines on the other hand...
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnnyH2 said:
    Would be good if we could hear it cleary in the covered end  upper once instead of hearing a mumbled Brian Cole in both halfs of every.game
    This.

I've sat I'm the East (sorry, Alan Curbishley) stand for years & could always hear what was being said over the tannoy. This season I've sat in the Upper North and can hardly hear a word that is being said. Even RRR is quiet & indistinct.

Didnt hear any of the annoucements on Saturday so if  I was being racially or sexually abused I wouldn't have known where or how to report it. 
    It is on a bleeding big scoreboard!
    No. Sit in the East or West Stand 
  • Hal1x said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Would be good if we could hear it cleary in the covered end  upper once instead of hearing a mumbled Brian Cole in both halfs of every.game
    This.

I've sat I'm the East (sorry, Alan Curbishley) stand for years & could always hear what was being said over the tannoy. This season I've sat in the Upper North and can hardly hear a word that is being said. Even RRR is quiet & indistinct.

Didnt hear any of the annoucements on Saturday so if  I was being racially or sexually abused I wouldn't have known where or how to report it. 
    I watch the game in front of us, not the vidiprinter
    No. Sit in the East or West Stand 
    I’ve been sitting in my East Stand seat for 25 years 
  • Hal1x said:
    JohnnyH2 said:
    This.

Then why read it out, why have a tannoy system that is currently not working 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    This.

The tannoy is pretty poor in the East Stand too.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!