Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Abuse Messages at Charlton

Comments

• edited January 2022
    follett said:
    Southbank said:
    Like you, I have not heard any racist abuse at Charlton for many decades. The announcements are virtue signalling and should be stopped. We are all treated as if we are naughty children. Is there anybody who comes to Charlton who does not know that smoking is not allowed? The announcements do not stop the crafty smokers.
    I come to football partly at least to escape from the stresses of normal life, please let there be 90 minutes when we can just focus on football ( which is stressful enough).
    My partner has come to 6 Charlton games in the last few years and faced racial abuse at 2 of them. Just because you don’t hear it doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. Such a poor and ignorant attitude to take 
    That's awful. Did anyone do anything about it? I have to admit I'd be frightened to say anything so maybe the text idea is good. Not sure how it  would work in practice though.
  • Major said:
    Being an old git, I remember being taught, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me'.
    Works well. The Precious Brigade might like to try it.
    Me too. And I don't care when it is aimed at me. However, I am able to practice "empathy" and "sympathy" and appreciate that not everyone is as thick skinned as me. And as abuse aimed at me washes over me, so do tannoy announcments.    
  • edited January 2022
  • Major said:
    Being an old git, I remember being taught, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me'.
    Me too. And I don't care when it is aimed at me. However, I am able to practice "empathy" and "sympathy" and appreciate that not everyone is as thick skinned as me. And as abuse aimed at me washes over me, so do tannoy announcments.    
    I wish I was more thick skinned. You're right though, not everyone is. Sadly I'm not and easily get upset by names or snide remarks and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.
  • edited January 2022
    Major said:
    I wish I was more thick skinned. You're right though, not everyone is. Sadly I'm not and easily get upset by names or snide remarks and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.
    Yes - but you are a nice person, I am a bit of a git, so I deserve it... 😝😲🤣
  • Olly - thank you for your clarification. It is very depressing and upsetting to hear about these incidents and of course I am entirely supportive of any message designed to stamp out that behaviour. Can I just say though , I'm not complaining about 'someone who's being a bit sweary towards an opposition player' because many of us do that- including me. Maybe I am in a minority of one but my belief is that the level of consistent, persistent and tirading abuse calling players and officials fuc--ng c-nts has increased over the last couple of years. It would be great if the club would consider a message which asks supporters to be considerate to those sitting around them. 
    Anyway, I've said my bit now. I'll give up and move on, maybe I need to buy some ear plugs !  
  • Sponsored links:

• The announcement is very specifically in response to some incidents that took place earlier in the season. 
    Unfortunately, there has been a sudden growth in racist/sexist/homophobic abuse since the return of fans. This has ranged from abuse aimed at players, as well as staff and even an agency photographer who received some pretty horrific abuse during the first two home games of the season and as a result, she hasn't returned. 
    So it's not about grassing up someone who's being a bit sweary towards an opposition player, it's about stamping out the kind of unacceptable abuse which has reared its ugly head more recently. 

Cheers Olly. Is there not a way they can become part of the pre-match, half time routine of the announcer rather than during the game? Or if you have to during the game, just as a big screen segment like the fish stuff?

I understand the reasons why, and it’s no big thing, but it’s a bit of a mood killer 
    I suppose the question is.
    How would we feel if a female relative was abused over a couple of games.
    To the point they didnt want to attend.
    The club then try to sort the situation out, to have someone say it's a bit of a mood killer?
  • clb74 said:
    The announcement is very specifically in response to some incidents that took place earlier in the season. 
    Unfortunately, there has been a sudden growth in racist/sexist/homophobic abuse since the return of fans. This has ranged from abuse aimed at players, as well as staff and even an agency photographer who received some pretty horrific abuse during the first two home games of the season and as a result, she hasn't returned. 
    So it's not about grassing up someone who's being a bit sweary towards an opposition player, it's about stamping out the kind of unacceptable abuse which has reared its ugly head more recently. 

Cheers Olly. Is there not a way they can become part of the pre-match, half time routine of the announcer rather than during the game? Or if you have to during the game, just as a big screen segment like the fish stuff?

I understand the reasons why, and it’s no big thing, but it’s a bit of a mood killer 
    The club then try to sort the situation out, to have someone say it's a bit of a mood killer?

Would you think the same if the announcement was made during a theatre or cinema performance? Before the game and at half time would surely work the same.
  • Southbank said:
    clb74 said:
    The announcement is very specifically in response to some incidents that took place earlier in the season. 

Would you think the same if the announcement was made during a theatre or cinema performance? Before the game and at half time would surely work the same.
    Bit of a nonsense comparison.

Firstly you try to pretend the problem doesn't exist, now it's been established it does, you're trying to push the measures the club has taken as a result to the boundaries.
  • edited January 2022
    shine166 said:
    Major said:

oi kettle...
  • Vincenzo said:
    Major said:
    You won't mind me saying you are an absolute moron then.
    I think Shine summed it up better!
  • Southbank said:
    clb74 said:

I love the cinema that much that I go 4 times a month ,the same cinema.
    I'm then told by the cinema that someones been abused in the cinema and hasn't returned to the cinema.
    The cinema then stop the film for a minute half way through, putting up a message to report abuse.
    Yes , the message wouldn't bother me.

• Sponsored links:

• Major said:
    Now known as the woke brigade because of their almost vicious response to anyone who disagrees with them . 
    Weve moved on though the year is 2022.
    Sure I could brush off being called a cripple as I was called at school.
    But should someone else have to put up with it , er no.
  • bobmunro said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Major said:
    What did shine day?? 
  • Moan moan moan moan moan - it’s what we do 
    Moanist!
  • Curb_It said:
    bobmunro said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Major said:
    What did shine day?? 
    Shine's very rude. Quite correct, but very rude.
  • Major said:
    Bet if the announcer done an Elvis "Ah ha ha" your ears would prick up though
  • Thankfully no announcements tonight. Blessed relief.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!